Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Driveway ordinance

Driveway ordinance

I am new to a newly created P&Z body, in a township in Wisconsin. We are a rural area that until recent years, has felt little need to deal with such issues.

One of the many things, that we are now looking into is a driveway ordinance. We have most of the obvious details handled, but one point of concern that I have, is that of turning radius for large emergency vehicles. We do have situations in which people buy large lots and build back in the woods with curved drives. What standards can we look at provide fire trucks, for example, an acceptable turning radius and turnaround.
    Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

Check with your local Fire Marshal, you are more likely than not using the Uniform Fire Code. Also, many times a local jurisdiction will adopt local ordinances that strenghthen portions of uniform codes. Here are a few things to look for: how far will your code allow a fire truck to back up, or phrased another way, how far in before an approved turn-around is required? This is usually the trigger for other access requirements such as width and surface standards. You will usually have a few choices in cases requiring special access such as a hammerhead turn-around vs. a full cul-de-sac. Also, many codes will waive all of these access requirements in the place of adding a fire detection and suppression system, or in some cases, just sprinklers. The easiest thing for you to do is sit down with your local Fire Marshal. Hope that gets you started in the right direction.

Thanks for your input, I think there are couple things here that will be helpful.

I am looking at establishing a common driveway bylaw (zoning) for the community of Ashland,Massachusetts. The problem I have is allowing lots without proper frontage. On the existing zoning by-laws for the Town, the Community prohibits "pork-chop" or flag lots. Any suggestions?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Common driveways limit the number of access points. Pork chop lots (usually) allow less than standard minimum lot widths. These do not have to be mutually exclusive. A common access does not mean that prok chop lots are necessary.

Find the reasons that prok chop lots are prohibited. Then decide the best route for the community.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 54
    Last post: 11 Jan 2015, 1:20 AM
  2. Uses RV ordinance
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 19 Nov 2012, 9:37 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Jan 2008, 11:31 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 22 Mar 2007, 2:20 PM