Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Peace Corps and planners

Registered
    Aug 2005

Peace Corps and planners

I'll be graduating in a little over a year and a half, and i'm starting to compile options for life after undergrad.

I'm split between going to graduate school or trying my hand at Peacecorps. I've read some good things in our planning department at school about Peacecorps and planners and was wondering if anyone has any advice?

Andrew

Registered
    Mar 2004

Just Don't.....

Quote Originally posted by Dudewheresmyplan?
    I've read some good things in our planning department at school about Peacecorps and planners and was wondering if anyone has any advice?

Andrew
    Spend all that $600 a month in one place Go for it if your single and don't mind working next to CIA spies and doing befuddled infrastructure work in third world countries........largely for political gains or purposes.....read their charter then talk to someone who has done the work for a while first.....

On a high note, it may be a good way to get your foot in the door for future US Agency for International Development work.....but you'd better get a PhD before trying.....that org. is no longer accepting real people in those jobs, just academic types. How else could they be getting SO LITTLE done with their resources throughout the world??!!! Sure as hell don't seem to be helping our image much......just my opinion.......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    May 2005
    I'd agree with The One, talk to people who have been through the program before you commit to anything. My ex-gf has been in Americorps for 2 years now, 1st year as a member, 2nd year as a team leader. There is absolutley no way I could deal with the bs that she puts up with, and most of the time I don't think she knows why she is still in it!
    Regrets, I've had a few; But then again, too many to mention.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 18 Sep 2013, 8:57 AM
  2. Replies: 31
    Last post: 01 Mar 2013, 1:17 PM
  3. Peace Corps
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Nov 2010, 2:36 PM
  4. Peace Corps to begin a career?
    Career Development and Advice