Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Vassar Clements Dead At 77

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Vassar Clements Dead At 77

This sad moment is shared with the other known Cyburbian bluegrass and fiddle fans, including budgie, maister, and biscuit. There may be others, too.

Vassar Clements died on Tuesday, 8-16-05, at age seventy-seven (77).

He was a great fiddler and worked with Bill Monroe, Jerry Garcia, The Scruggs family, Emylou Harris, Bonnie Raitt, The Byrds, The Dead, etc. This Bear has a couple Vassar Clements albums on vinyl, "Olde & In The Way" (classic bunch of country and alt-rock stars circa 1973), and a real favorite, "Hillbilly Jazz", which also featured another fave, David Bromberg.

Rest in peace, Vassar. No, the circle will not be unbroken.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I am sad you left me off that list after the fla bluegrass (mag & suwannee) fest concert postings of the past.

...but I am even more sad about VC. I am just glad I saw him recently ('03).

I heard about the news yesterday. RIP VC.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I will always associate him with Jerry Garcia and Old & in the Way. Heartily sorry to see him go, as he was one of the true musical originals out there. RIP
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2000
    NO !!!! Say it isn't so. A legend has passed. King B (guitar) and I (banjo) downloaded the music to Panama Red last week and intend to learn to play it. Guess what I'll be playing tonight.

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    No, the circle will not be unbroken.
    I haven't thought about that old bluegrass gospel tune in a long time. Thank you BUN.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Obit from the Tennessean, Nashvile's newspaper:
    http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...426/1090/OBITS

Highlights:
    a member of Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys in 1949

Mr. Clements' legacy was ensured in 1972, when he recorded with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band on the landmark Will the Circle Be Unbroken album.

a member of the progressive Earl Scruggs Revue in the 1970s

Mr. Clements' work with the Dirt Band, Earl Scruggs, Jerry Douglas and Randy Scruggs on a version of Earl's Breakdown won a Grammy Award for best country instrumental performance.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by H
    I am sad you left me off that list after the fla bluegrass (mag & suwannee) fest concert postings of the past.

...but I am even more sad about VC. I am just glad I saw him recently ('03).

I heard about the news yesterday. RIP VC.
    H.....a thousand pardons on my screw-up. Yes, you were the contributor to the FLA bluegrass (Suwannee) talk. I even used your info to look at the band list, because an old friend (who I have not talked to in years) is a great banjo guy and could (would) be there.

Do you have any Vassar Clements in your collection? Gosh, he was good.

Bear Fiddlin' About
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Obit from the Tennessean, Nashvile's newspaper:
    http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...426/1090/OBITS

Highlights:
    a member of Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys in 1949

Mr. Clements' legacy was ensured in 1972, when he recorded with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band on the landmark Will the Circle Be Unbroken album.

a member of the progressive Earl Scruggs Revue in the 1970s

Mr. Clements' work with the Dirt Band, Earl Scruggs, Jerry Douglas and Randy Scruggs on a version of Earl's Breakdown won a Grammy Award for best country instrumental performance.
    I did see this video a couple times and it was great. This is the one (1) that also had Steve Martin, correct?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Do you have any Vassar Clements in your collection? Gosh, he was good.
    No worries, and YeahIdo. I have a old VC cd (forget which one as they are all packed away right now from a recent move) and I have an awesome bootleg of VC with the Aquarium Rescue Unit in Suwannee 03 where he stole the show.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Dead Man Walking
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 03 Mar 2005, 11:10 AM
  2. Dead Like Me
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 12 Oct 2004, 6:24 PM
  3. The Godfather, dead at 80.
    Friday Afternoon Club