Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 40 Story Condo Tower Planned for Downtown Austin:

Registered
    Nov 2004

40 Story Condo Tower Planned for Downtown Austin:

http://www.statesman.com/business/co...0downtown.html

We sure are getting a lot of highrise development downtown these days. Ever since the Frost Bank Tower was built as Austin's Tallest, other developments have been planned for even taller buildings. The addition of this highrise as well as the 41 and 36-story buildings planned for downtown are going to drastically change our skyline in the near future. Keep 'em coming!!

P.S. If the site asks you to register, click "Login" in the upper left of the page and use these credentials:

Username: OMG
    Email: omgwtfbbq@dodgeit.com
    Password: omgwtfbbq

Registered
    May 2005
    San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico
    Interesting... how has the community reacted to all of the new building?

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hitchhiker
    Interesting... how has the community reacted to all of the new building?
    A lot of the older residents don't care for it, but the majority of the population is very progressive and all for denser development.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    This shouldn't surprise you too much coming from me:

My biggest concern with this downtown building boom in Austin is whether it will maintain pedestrian friendly design at the ground level. This has been my big issue with the Frost Bank tower, although it is really cool looking from far away and makes a nice addition to the skyline.

Based on the description of this project with ground level retail & offices, I believe they will design it with pedestrian scale architecture on at least the bottom few floors. Also, they are redeveloping a site that Intel desserted, which I would think would make Austinites happy as it would remove one more reminder of the high-tech bust. I wish their big brother to the south (San Antonio) would get the memo on downtown urban living. I like the way Austin is going with its downtown development.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Mar 2012, 3:07 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 Apr 2011, 12:46 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Sep 2006, 9:42 AM
  4. Condo v. House
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73
    Last post: 18 Apr 2006, 5:19 PM