+ Reply to thread

Thread: In Arizona, remove grass, get rebate

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

In Arizona, remove grass, get rebate

Headline and Article from the AP Wire:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines

FLAGSTAFF, AZ. -- Pulling up grass in Flagstaff could earn homeowners some greenbacks.

The city is offering a one-time $500 rebate to households that remove at least 1,500 square feet of grass and replace it with rock or hardy native plants that require little water.

The average homeowner uses about 72 gallons annually to water each square foot of grass, according to the Bureau of Reclamation.

Adam Miller, Flagstaff water conservation manager, expects up to 20 households a year to take advantage of the rebate.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'd do it. I'd do it now and I don't even live in a desert.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Boy. Unless you plant some native trees, aren't you looking at a big heat island effect? Is Flagstaff even that dry?

Not that I like lawns. California should definitely do this (and probably does) Aesthetically, I much prefer my one neighbor's overgrown native-and-semiarrid plants front yard. It's pretty crazy-there are some six foot tall plants that look like space aliens.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Although there are not incentives in place, we did this to our front yard. No grass at all. The whole thing is planted with a mix of shrubs, flowers, and ground covers that required very little watering. We water one section every two weeks(it is covered with a type of sedum: green dragons blood). It is worth it even if your community does not have an incentive program. Our water bill is about $30-$40 less a month then the average summer water bill.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    In Tucson, a popular solution was to replace the grass with non-functioning appliances and car parts.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Are those with lawns compelled to water them? What did I miss?! It's been bone dry here and I let my lawn shrivel into sparse weeds and a lovely, crunchy carpet of light brown, dormant grass. This way, my water bill never fluctuates with the summer season.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2003
    Another possible solution :

The brand name? "Forever Lawn."

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Another possible solution :
    The brand name? "Forever Lawn."
    Heh... or what about gravel painted green? I saw that once and thought, 1) who had the time? and 2) I hope that paint is non-toxic since it's probably in our groundwater now.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    Are those with lawns compelled to water them? What did I miss?! It's been bone dry here and I let my lawn shrivel into sparse weeds and a lovely, crunchy carpet of light brown, dormant grass. This way, my water bill never fluctuates with the summer season.
    That's cause you live in one of them "undesirable" old neighborhoods, probably full of minorities and such. If you lived in a proper gated community, you would have a golf court patrol of retired senior citizens driving around to make sure you not only watered your lawn, but that it was clipped neatly (and trimmings removed) to the regulation 1.3" in height

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. When to remove interships from resume
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 29 Jul 2011, 6:40 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 09 May 2007, 11:08 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 May 2005, 12:32 PM
  4. Child-credit Tax Rebate
    Friday Afternoon Club