Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Border crossings you have gone through

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Border crossings you have gone through

This Bear lives a somewhat sheltered life, not having traveled much. My travels have never taken me to Mexico. The only other country besides my own that I have been in is Canada. I have crossed into that beautiful country in a number of different places.

Detroit-Windsor.....There are two (2) border crossings here, the Ambassador Bridge and The Detroit-Windsor Tunnel. Numerous times crossing the border at these downtown Detroit locales.

Coming back from a canoe trip to Ontario's Algonquin Park I was hassled by USA customs agents. "Hey, you gonna cut your hair when you get back in the states? We don't allow no hippie scum." (Hey, it was the late 1960's, early 1970's and any guy with long hair was a target.)

Port Huron-Sarnia.....I have crossed here a few times, on trips into north central Ontario.

Niagara Falls Area.....If I remember correctly, I have crossed the border in this area at a couple different locations. Dan or Rumpy....help me out here......is The Peace Bridge here? Is there a third crossing, or is ju8mping in the water the third way to cross? (Where is Marilyn Monroe?)

Sault Ste. Marie.....I have crossed this International Bridge a number of times. Goes between the twin Sault Ste. Maries, just upstream from the locks.

International Falls.....I have crossed here, in northern Minnesota, across the Rainy River, into Fort Frances, Ontario.
    _____

I enjoy this: There is a border crossing (never been to this one) in the little splatch of Minnesota land that is separated from the rest of Minnesota and the USA, by Ontario land and some of The Lake Of The Woods. This area, called The Northwest Angle, has a telephone for the border crossing.

Any border crossing views, stories, etc. to share? Some of you are world travelers and probably have some good views.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I've crossed over into West Australia. Practically another country. They have more to do with Bali/Indonesia then they do us. And then, on arrival, you have to Discard All Fruit And Vegetable Products Or Proceed Quarantine.

Other then that, all i can offer is the crossing between QLD and NSW (you are now entering sunny Queensland. Please turn yuo watches back one hour, and twenty years.)

Or the border into Pine Rivers Shire (end of the street, turn right, wave at the Welcome sign)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Well, it's no big deal in Europe anymore. The Schengen agreement countries (Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland, and about a dozen others set to implement it in 2007--see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_treaty) no longer require passport checks at the borders. Driving you just pass through abandonded facilities where they used to check passports. Flying they don't even check photo id between many of these countries. How's that for security?

It's kind of disappointing, in a way, as a tourist driving through Europe to visit countires and not get your passport stamped to show you've been there.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Niagara Falls Area.....If I remember correctly, I have crossed the border in this area at a couple different locations. Dan or Rumpy....help me out here......is The Peace Bridge here? Is there a third crossing, or is ju8mping in the water the third way to cross? (Where is Marilyn Monroe?)
    Going from south to north.

Peace Bridge, Buffalo/Ft. Erie

Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls US, CAN (cars only)

Whirpool Bridge, Niagara Falls US, CAN (cars only with NEXUS or someother special pass. I think it closes at 7PM each day.)

Lewiston/Queenston Bridge

Been over all of them, its a whole other world over there in Canuckistan

I enjoy this: There is a border crossing (never been to this one) in the little splatch of Minnesota land that is separated from the rest of Minnesota and the USA, by Ontario land and some of The Lake Of The Woods. This area, called The Northwest Angle, has a telephone for the border crossing.

Any border crossing views, stories, etc. to share? Some of you are world travelers and probably have some good views.

Bear
    I always wondered about that piece of Minnesota.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Mar 2004
    This Bear lives a somewhat sheltered life, not having traveled much. My travels have never taken me to Mexico. The only other country besides my own that I have been in is Canada. I have crossed into that beautiful country in a number of different places.

Detroit-Windsor.....There are two (2) border crossings here, the Ambassador Bridge and The Detroit-Windsor Tunnel. Numerous times crossing the border at these downtown Detroit locales.

Coming back from a canoe trip to Ontario's Algonquin Park I was hassled by USA customs agents. "Hey, you gonna cut your hair when you get back in the states? We don't allow no hippie scum." (Hey, it was the late 1960's, early 1970's and any guy with long hair was a target.)

Port Huron-Sarnia.....I have crossed here a few times, on trips into north central Ontario.

Sault Ste. Marie.....I have crossed this International Bridge a number of times. Goes between the twin Sault Ste. Maries, just upstream from the locks.

International Falls.....I have crossed here, in northern Minnesota, across the Rainy River, into Fort Frances, Ontario.
    _____

Bear
    I've only been to Canada on a couple of occassions, crossing at the International Bridge (north end of I-75 at Sault Sainte Marie) and into Canada at the Rainbow Bridge (east end of ON 420 at Niagara Falls) and back at the Peace Bridge (southeast end of ON QEW at Fort Erie/Buffalo). All were uneventfull crossings and I do find it interesting that the first thing that one passes on the Canadian descent from the International Bridge, right before the Canadian Customs checkpoint, is a strip joint.

BTW, other Buffalo/Niagara area crossings are the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge (I-190/ON 405), where most heavy trucks cross in that area, and a little one just downstream from the Rainbow Bridge. I don't even know if that latter one is still open.

Quote Originally posted by skyfire
    Well, it's no big deal in Europe anymore. The Schengen agreement countries (Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland, and about a dozen others set to implement it in 2007--see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_treaty) no longer require passport checks at the borders. Driving you just pass through abandonded facilities where they used to check passports. Flying they don't even check photo id between many of these countries. How's that for security?

It's kind of disappointing, in a way, as a tourist driving through Europe to visit countires and not get your passport stamped to show you've been there.
    And you don't even have to change money anymore in most of Europe.
    Also, didn't the Swiss just vote to become part of the European 'borderless' zone?

I find it more than interesting that it is now as easy (or easier) to cross between a bunch of European countries, many of which have fought **VICIOUS** wars against each other twice or more within the past century, as it is to cross between states here in the USA, while those crossing between two countries that have not fired a shot in anger at each other in nearly 190 years still often get the Customs 'anal exam' (the two countries being the USA and Canada). And the USA and Mexico have not fired a shot in anger at each other in nearly 100 years.

Why can't we here in North America put such a 'strong perimeter' in place like they have in Europe, where one clears the big inspection to enter the continent while not worrying about all of those pesky and inefficient land border crossings??? Somehow I think that this would make us much more secure, keeping the truly bad guys off of the continent to begin with, while making commerce and other similar non-threatening activities easier.

Mike

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I've crossed

- the Canada-USA border at Ivy Lea, ON, and near Alexandria Bay, NY;
    - the Canada-USA border at Prescott, ON, and Odgensburg, NY;
    - the Canada-USA border at Cornwall, ON, and Massena, NY;
    - the Canada-USA border at Wolfe Island, ON, and Cape Vincent, NY;
    - the Canada-USA border at Champlain, NY;
    - the Canada-USA border at Hwy 173, QU, and Hwy 201, ME;
    - the Canada-USA border at the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls, ON and NY;
    - the Canada-USA border at Fort Erie, ON, and Buffalo, NY; and
    - the Canada-USA border at the Ambassador Bridge between Windsor, ON, and Detroit, MI.

- the UK-France border at Calais via the Tunnel;
    - the UK-France border at Calais via the ferry;
    - the UK-France border at Newham, England, and Dieppe, France; and
    - the UK-France border at Portsmouth, England, and Rouen, France.

- some border crossings between Germany and Switzerland and Switzerland and Austria. I don't think there was an actual border in and out of Liechtenstein (sp?).

Does airports count as border crossings? If so, then I'll include the following airports:
    - Toronto, ON;
    - Dublin, Ireland;
    - London, England (Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, and Stansted);
    - Manchester, England;
    - Glasgow, Scotland;
    - Edinburgh, Scotland; and
    - Athens, Greece.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I spent six hours detained at the Laredo crossing into Mexico due to mistaken identity. F%^&ing Federales.

Brownsville-Matamoros was uneventful.

El Paso-Ciudad Juarez was uneventful.

Niagra Falls was uneventful. Word to the wise: make fun of Canadians at the border and your dumbass will get searched.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    My list - mostly Canada - US

Both Detroit-windsor crossings more times than I can count.
    St. Stepen NB-Calais ME - both crossings there multiple times
    Woodstock-Houlton ME - lots of times
    Macadam - Ft Fairfield ME - lots of times

A few Euro ones

Maastrict Netherlands - Belgium
    Belgium - Germany, no real town

Brusselles Airport
    Newark Airport
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Oh yeah.....

Quote Originally posted by Hceux
    I don't think there was an actual border in and out of Liechtenstein (sp?).
    While taking the night train from Switzerland to Austria in the late 80's our passports were collected and checked, but not stamped on the trip through Liechtenstein (vaduz).

Mike: You can thank the drug traffic for the "exams" you might get at the Canadian border......oh I love that line from the Simpsons when Marge and Homer try to have a second honeymoon without the kids at Niagra Falls and the Canadian Border patrol boat meets the US border patrol boat in the seaway calling the US "Mexico touchers".......Canadians want the "best and brightest" of other cultures and none of the unwashed masses......at least that's my impression......HOSERS....

I've crossed into Canada at Coutts (I-15) Montana and International Peace Gardens near Boissevain MB. The one on the way to Calgary held me up for nearly 2 hours doing background checks and stuff.....The other was easy and 2/3 of us didn't have passports.....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    A few for me -

1. Detroit- Windsor Tunnell (on way to/from APA Conf. in Toronto while in College)

2. Bar Harbor, ME/Yarmouth, NS - Took Cat Ferry across in 2002.

3. St. Stephen, NB/Calais, ME - Return from trip in 2002

4. Lacolle, QC / Champlain, NY - Trip to Montreal in 2003.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Tijuana, MX / Chula Vista, CA - to aquire cheap Mexican knock offs. Uneventual experience with another culture.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by skyfire

Skyfire, if you are travelling through a port or airport, you can request that they stamp your passport. The border guards know its just for touristic purposes and are usually glad to oblige (in a stoney faced border guard kind of way).

I have been through a few passport control places in my time. The wierdest was being "misted" with insecticide going into Australia. Also the idea of going through US customs and flashing my mickey in the new X-Ray machines gives me chills.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Juarez, Mexico to El Paso TX at about 3 am: "I am an American citizen" (mumbled drunkenly with my right hand up after the border guard told me what to say)

Had my bags searched going into Scotland. Was patted down at Heathrow. Been through Schiphol Amsterdam many times. Canada, twice when I was a kid, tried to get in with my Czech girlfriend a few years ago in Niagara falls, they would allow me but not her. So we walked back across the Peace bridge only to get the 3rd degree from the US border guard there: "You lived your whole life in NEW JERSEY?!" I don't know why they have to bait you like that. This was a young guy. I guess he was tought by the generation that was so rude to Bear back in the 60's

I also have a stamp from Denmark and the Czech Republic.

I think Russia may be next for me.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

I am shocked that I never got in trouble, but there have been several time that I have gone though these border points after drinking in Canada while I was underage and in college. I was never driving, but there were a few times that I was not doing so good. They once searched our car in the soo. We stood there as they took EVERY thing out, asked us to open our ski bags and check inside our ski or snowboard boots. I guess that they were looking for drugs.

Since we were clean, they let us go. Another few minutes, more than a few of use would have been getting sick on the side of the road.
    The most foolish thing one can do this fall is to vote for Clinton or Trump. Wake up, get out of the matrix, and send a message to the political establishment that you won't play their game.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    My first experience was Matamoros- Brownsville.
    (First of all I must apologize to any Texas Cyburbianites...No offense meant by the comments to follow....)

We knew we were headed to cross the border for the first time. So we stopped in at the Travel Information Office in Brownsville to find out what the proceedure was to get across and back. The lady at the desks said, I don't know and looked past us to the next person. Dumb founded we stumbled out and tried to ask a few people close to the entry but they only spoke spanish. After we crossed hoping that we would be able to return, and reached Matamoros everyone one there spoke excellent english.

We did see a guy get the crap beat out of him by the police down there. I was glad to get back.

A second trip, I am not even sure where we crossed but we drove south from vegas. That trip was for shopping and drugs. You could pick up prescription drugs cheap.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I can't even begin to count the number of crossings I've made from the state to the provinces, the most interestiing was a crossing on the St. Clair river between Moorestown, ON and I believe Marine City, MI. This was done by a car ferry.

The second most interesting was the canadian border guard that gave me crap for being from Detroit. He knew all of the names of the suburbs, told me people in Detroit can't afford trips like this, and he told me all about what has happened in local politics. I found it bizare that some guy in Alberta knew more about Detroit and was biased agianst it than even most suburbanites. I get to the next campground, check in. told them we were from Detroit, and these folks could not be much happier, it seems that Detroit television stations were carried throughout the provinces on cable and they wanted to know all about how life was like there, and how its the only real glimpse they have into the United States was through our local broadcasts!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I've been stopped at plenty of borders while travelling through Europe - most recently I got a stamp in Montpellier, France after arriving from Brussels.

A few years ago, while travelling from Perpignan, France to Barcelona the train was stopped in Port Bou, Spain and the customs guys came through but i didn't get a stamp.

I passed through Iceland twice on the same trip and they stamp everyone in and out of the country regardless of where you're coming from.

I was stopped and questioned for about 10 minutes by a customs officer in Heathrow while trying to transfer to a flight to Belfast.

I went to Montreal a few months ago and took I-81 up and crossed into Ontario. We got through in 5 minutes or so. We tried to return via Quebec and hook up with I-87 in New York. We sat in line for an hour and a half then were sent to the inspection shed for another 30 minutes. All that and no stamp in my darn passport.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    May 2004

Borders...

Russia - China in the early 90s. Heading into Russia, Everyone had to leave the train while armed troops went in and searched each cabin. You could take no belongings with you. Afterwards, the trains were moved back into the railyards where the trucks (wheels) were swapped out. Russian trains have a different gauge than do the Chinese trains (fear of invasion). Each car and the engines had to be done in the same manner. It took 12 over 12 hours, so we got loaded with the other passengers on cheap vodka. Stamp still said CCCP. Coolest stamp in my passport.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I did the two main crossing between Seattle and Vancouver by bus.

Spokanite? What is the crossing into BC north of you. I think you go through Metaline Falls, WA? I did that one, it goes into Nelson, BC.

I also crossed from Idaho (Bonner Ferry) into BC hitting Crestone, BC (where Kokanne is brewed)?

Aw hell, I'm gonna grab a map.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I lived in Germany 1989-1990, so I have a few border crossings under my belt. The best in terms of history was Checkpoint Charlie. I was an exchange student, so technically my German family couldn't go through with me, but the nice, older American at the counter let them pass, too. It wasn't earth-shattering in terms of dread, suspense or time, but the knowing that this was an opportunity that probably would not be repeated loomed large. We thought it was the highlight of the trip. My first passport also has a stamp from the former East Germany border, as well as France and Italy.

I've also been to Africa, so the Arabic stamp, plus Brazil and London, make nice conversation starters for my 2nd passport. In Brazil, it was a boring crossing at the airport, but on the road our cab was flagged off and our bags searched by large men wearing uniforms and carrying large guns. They made some comment about "americans", then promptly shut up when I started arguing with them in German. Probably not the wisest thing to do, but I hadn't slept in 36 hours and had massive jet lag from detoured and detained flights. Since they let us go, I guess they didn't understand what I called them while ranting in German.

Been to Mexico without incident. Same for Canada.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    drove a rental car into El Nogales, Mexico...probably the single stupidest thing I have ever done. Driving in Mexico is very scary, parking and leaving the car in Mexico was very scary...driving back into the U.S with my little brother completely incoherent and some pharmecuticals in his pocket even more scary...he couldn;t find his license so they ripped the rental car apart, wanted to know why we took a rental out of the country, blah, blah, blah...they let us back through but it was not fun. I will walk across the Mexican border the next time

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Funny....

Pre-911 I flew into London City Airport with my daughter.......no one was at the immigration "table"....we stood there for about 3 minutes....then an old guy (70?) came over and stamped our passports and that was it......strange....because our flight was from Brussels, not a UK flight.....on the same trip, my kid got play dough stuck in her hair.....luckily the guy behind us had a POCKET KNIFE with scissors to cut the stuff out (Atlanta to Brussels on Sabena flight )

Crossing back over from Juarez on a Sunday after shopping, we had to pay a Texas tax per bottle of Mezcal and could watch mexicans crossing the river into Texas 200 yards away through a window, as the border patrol took
    our $1
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Pedestrian crossings at roundabouts
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 09 Aug 2006, 11:05 PM
  2. Road crossings and golf course design
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 03 Feb 2006, 4:02 PM