Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parking capacity vs checkout capacity

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005

Parking capacity vs checkout capacity

Ran up to the Walgreens last night. Upon entering the store I noticed there were only three registers (not three OPEN registers, but three total). When I left I drove around the parking lot and counted the 83 spaces in the parking lot.

In the unlikely event that every space was filled, there would be up to 27 people in each line at the checkout. Who comes up with these ideas?

Why is the inside of the store designed to handle a busy weekday, but the outside designed to handle Christmas Eve?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Ha!

Great observation, Walgreens sees itself as a large convenience retailer, which means there has to be an oversupply of parking so people we feel more obliged to run in for a quick stop, when they note that it easy to park, not unlike a 7-11. Usually at Walgreens there are 2 or 3 front cash wraps and 1 each at pharmacy and make-up, rarely are all in use.
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Howard Roark
    Ha!

Great observation, Walgreens sees itself as a large convenience retailer, which means there has to be an oversupply of parking so people we feel more obliged to run in for a quick stop, when they note that it easy to park, not unlike a 7-11. Usually at Walgreens there are 2 or 3 front cash wraps and 1 each at pharmacy and make-up, rarely are all in use.
    i got a walgreens down to 55 spaces for a 14,000 sq ft store. quite a battle
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Unmetered parking capacity
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Jul 2009, 3:34 AM
  2. Roadway capacity
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 Mar 2006, 11:07 AM
  3. Private message capacity