Urban planning community

Poll results: What Is Your Favorite Month?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • January (Pro Football Play-Offs)

2 3.85%
  • February (My Funny Valentine)

1 1.92%
  • March (Beware, Ceasar)

0 0%
  • April (April Fool On You)

0 0%
  • May (Commie Pinko Month)

4 7.69%
  • June (School Is Over!)

2 3.85%
  • July (Jump In The Water)

2 3.85%
  • August (Last Gasp Of Summer)

1 1.92%
  • September (Schhol Starts)

7 13.46%
  • October (Time Of The Leaf-Peepers)

24 46.15%
  • November (Thanksgiving This Month!)

3 5.77%
  • December (The Holidays This Month!)

6 11.54%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Month

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Favorite Month

I just heard a radio comment that August is the favorite month for summer vacations. (A "last gasp" sort of thing.)

I would venture a guess that favorite months are these.....

August - Because of the "last gasp of summer" thing.
    October - Beautiful month in many parts of the land. (Leaf peepers.)
    December - The holidays, seeing kid's excitement, etc.
    November - Thanksgiving (Because of the traditional 4-day Thanksgiving weekend.)

This Bear's favorite is October. Football, a frosty nip in the air, refreshing breezes pushing out the humid stickiness of a long hot summer.

What say you? Favorite month, and why?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I agree with Gedunker (How long until October ?) and The Bear -October
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2005
    All for September when Football comes back!

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Obviously, your geogphaphical and hemispherical location on Earth will affect your response to this. As a life-long citizen of the North-American continent, October rocks! It's the time of the harvest. Halloween is spooky and imaginative and transcendent without being screwed up by too much consumerism. Thanksgiving and Christmas are nice times of year but too tradition-bound in my opinion. And of course Christmas has become way too materialistic. Spring months like April, May and June are close 2nds, but somehow, cool weather seems most pleasing when after a period of hot weather. And yet most days are still quite mild enough for outdoor activity. Gone is sticky, sweltering sweatiness. Great time for beer and wine. Great time for socializing. In the sign of Libra, its that wonderful balance between outdoorsiness and the looming coziness of indoor cold weather months ahead. It's a literary time of year. And of course, the fall colors.
    Last edited by dobopoq; 14 Aug 2005 at 5:23 AM.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Why is May commie/pinko month?

I like it becuase the weather is nice and it is my birthday month.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I voted for December. I always enjoy the time before Christmas. I still manage to like Christmas even though I worked at a department store for a few years.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Any month that has and "r" in it

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I like the cool crisp weather in October although we have taken a cool streak here and it is down right pleasant.

My favorite October memory, ESU campus, leaves are turning nicely, it is homecoming weekend and the campus is a buzz. I never went to the ball games but was into all the rest of the activities. I don't even remember the homecoming musical but it had bagpipes and all weekend long they had bagpipes playing on campus. It just echoed through all the buildings.

That was when I feel in love with the bagpipes and since then have found them on their regular weekend at the Renissance Festival in KC. Same crisp weather as the sound echoes through the trees. I Love IT!!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Mar 2004

November Rules

I like November......nice fall weather in the northa and nice cool weather in the south......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I voted for June. It's my birthday month, plus it's also the month we got married in. The weather's still pretty good (not yet blazing hot), so taking trips works well.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Oct 2003
    October gets my vote.

It's the month of my birthday.

It's the month when school's not too heavy going, but not too boring as in not having any schoolwork to do.

It's the time of year when I can wear jackets once again and when I can stuff my keys and wallets in my jackets instead of my pants/shorts.

It's when I can start wearing long-sleeved shirts or sweaters without feeling too hot from wearing it.

It's when snow may fall for the first time for the winter season.

Although Hallowe'en has become popular in recent years, it isn't a reason why I like October more than any other months of the year.

Registered
    May 2005
    I too must pick October. September is still basically summer, while October is the true beginning of a new season. As much as I love hot weather, there is nothing like an autumn afternoon that brings about a sense of renewal. I know spring is supposed to be the season of "rebirth", but I've always felt a sense of "I can accomplish anything" during the fall months. I think it ties into my memories of school starting once again. For me, the "New Year" begins when school starts up, even though I am done with school now. The crisp cool air, going to high school football games, leaves falling, halloween, wearing sweaters, the anticipation of snow and the "major holiday".........give me October all year round.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Nov 2004
    It looks like October is cleaning up. I'm in agreement with everyone else for the reasons: football season, the changing colors of the leaves, the crisp chill in the air in the morning and night, Oktoberfest in Hermann, MO, jeans and sweaters...the list goes on. It's also a great time for end of the season bbq's and bonfires.

I was born in July, but I absolutely hate the summertime. After the burn I got yesterday, the happier I'll be.

Registered
    Jun 2003

January

Apart from being the month of my, Mrs Rem and Rem II's birthday, January is a great month in Australia because:
    • It is hot and we get lots of afternoon thunder storms
    • The girls wear skimpy clothes
    • Almost everyone is on holiday
    • Everything seems to slow down - we accept not much happens in January
    • The beaches are at their best
    • The Sydney Test Match is usually on (cricket) and there is typically a northern hemisphere rugby tour
    • Our Council is in recess until the end of the month (no Council meetings)
    Bring on the heat.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    December. I am such a Christmas freak... And it's the first time we can expect truly chilly weather here. Altho' 85 d. Christmases are not unheard of. sigh....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I went ahead and voted October. I don't know if that is accurate. November tends to be a tough month for me for some reason but I like the fall. So, October got my vote even though...sigh...I can't say I really have a favorite month.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I voted October on the grounds that this is my favorite month in terms of climate and the outdoors. I enjoy the cool temperatures. Harvesting the squash and the last of the broccoli and cabbages out of the garden. A nice cup of spiced cider after picking out a pumpkin at a local farm. The radiant colors of the turning leaves. Cheering on the alma mater at a football game on a crisp October afternoon. The month ends with the excitement and interest of watching all the kids trick or treat. Ahhh, I'm looking forward already. Responding to this post has made me feel less stressed this morning. Thanks Bear!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

I too voted October -- I'm just sick and tired of 90F temperatures day after day after day. We had two thunderstorms in our vicinity --one Saturday night and one yesterday afternoon-- and nary a drop of rain. My grass is brown. You walk outside and feel like you've stepped into the hot cotton candy machine at the state fair. Sorry all you heat lovers, I can't take it for months on end.

I also like October because it's playoff time in baseball. We Cardinals fans tend to enjoy this time of year on a regular basis (right, zMan?) as opposed to those that follow the small bears and other perennial non-contenders.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I"ll have to throw in with the October crowd. The summer's heat is relenting. It's actually pretty, even in central Indiana. My allergies/sinus problems are letter up.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I voted October on the grounds that this is my favorite month in terms of climate and the outdoors. I enjoy the cool temperatures. Harvesting the squash and the last of the broccoli and cabbages out of the garden. A nice cup of spiced cider after picking out a pumpkin at a local farm. The radiant colors of the turning leaves. Cheering on the alma mater at a football game on a crisp October afternoon. The month ends with the excitement and interest of watching all the kids trick or treat. Ahhh, I'm looking forward already. Responding to this post has made me feel less stressed this morning. Thanks Bear!
    Same here!

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I'm also a fall person. Grew up in New England and it means crisp, dry, bugless days that can still be warm, but comfortable enough to do things outside. Of course it also means November is coming, which is when everything dies and turns gray.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i voted for December. i like the holidays because it means that the family will be together. running neck in neck w/ December was August b/c it is my birthday month and it is still summer.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I voted May, the height of tornado and severe storm season. That's the storm chaser in me talking.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    October, for al the same reasons as Bear stated..
    And Halloween has always been my favorite holiday, I still love it and love getting the boys all dressed up...I haven't dressed up the past two years but usually do....plus as a child my b-day was 3 days after halloween so the entire month was exciting for me...
    Most of all I like the crispness of the air and jeans and sweatshirts!!! This apst weekends weather gave me a bit of the "fall" bite...sure its going to warm up in a day or two though....

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I voted for November:
    -My Birthday
    -Cooler weather
    -Football and hockey
    -Thanksgiving
    -The start of the holiday season
    -Ski season
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Least favorite month(s)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 24 Aug 2012, 2:21 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 13 Apr 2007, 5:24 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 03 Oct 2003, 10:58 AM