Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Business Cards

Registered
    Feb 2002

Business Cards

What does everyone do with their business cards?

I have a rolodex thing on my desk with about half of them filed, and the other half just sitting in front!

I was thinking about putting them all in my outlook contacts, but not sure if would be worth the time. Part of the problem now is do I put them under then company, their last name, the develoipment etc. I can never find them if I file them without looking through the whole rolodex.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I enter info into my outlook contacts, and pitch the cards.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Me too. I notice that my desk looked a LOT cleaner once I started doing that.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    My business card holder may as well be a rubberband at this point- I end up having to sort through all of them to find the one I need. Now I usually staple the main contacts' card in the file after I put them in Outlook.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Folks that may become frequent contacts I put in Outlook, then pitch the cards.

Those likely to infrequent contacts, I file in a bcard rolodex file.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've been SLOWLY moving my business cards into Outlook. I have my business cards in a rolodex by company name with a name cross reference.

If you put them in Outlook, be sure you print your contacts once in a while in case your system crashes. That can be frustrating.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    I have a rolodex thing on my desk with about half of them filed, and the other half just sitting in front!
    That is exactly what this planner has.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    I enter the info and then throw the card into a big pile in the top right drawer of my desk. I periodically make photo copies of them for contractors, business owners, blah, blah, blah.....

Now the business cards with my name on them.... sometimes I write little offers on the back of them and hand them to people I really like.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I enter them into my PDA by last name and then file the contact under "business"

My PDA has a find feature that allows you to search by name, company, zip code, areas code, nickname etc.

For example if I entered in an area code of "517" every single reference to "517" would come up. That would include area codes, addresses or any other thing. Works great.

If I meet someone at a Confer, I note that I met them at the Confer under their contact info. Then years later if I need to find them I can just enter in "Confer." or what ever else and they they are.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I add them into my Rolodex, Outlook type program (Group Wise) and into my paper planner. I will just limit to a PDA if I ever get one.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Some outlook, some scattered about, some rubber-banded in my desk drawer. These last are the oldest and least frequently consulted, so it's always interesting to see names, companies from years ago. "Hey, remember when Joe worked for ...?"
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I get a clothes pin and stick them in the spokes of my bicycle

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    I get a clothes pin and stick them in the spokes of my bicycle
    LOL, great line. But really, I enter them in Outlook, keep the ones I find interesting (?), and pitch the rest.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear puts business cards in a roll-a-dex, alphabetical (not stacked in front). I also put in that roll-a-dex other phone numbers of folks that I may need to call, that I didn't get a business card from.

But.....anything that has to do with a project in my plant, such as the card of the sales guy from the organization that sold me my last piece of packaging machinery, I put into the folder for that particular project. Phone calls to those folks always involve the contents of the folders, drawings, contracts, schematics, etc.

This system has worked well for me for nearly half a century, so I am not about to change.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Most business cards given to me go into the round file. (People call me, I don't call them.) I still have TN's card in my desk at work (somewhere?), and a few others. ZG, sc, The One, and Budgie never gave me their cards (but I didn't give them my card either).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We have an intranet based CRM (client relationship manager). Cards get tossed once the data is entered into the system.

Registered
    May 2003
    Long box (one my business cards came in). Most recent cards are in front. That's about 90% of the contacts I need. Sometimes I have to fish for the old ones.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    ...be sure you print your contacts once in a while in case your system crashes. That can be frustrating.
    Good advice. I can vouch for that one.

You can also backup your Outlook contacts from work onto your home computer once in awhile.

I still have a rolodex from the job I left 12 years ago. I don't know why, because I never update it. I think I am using it as a business card holder more than anything else. The information from the cards themselves is in Outlook.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I use outlook and I seek to fill every field - yes I even use the categories. I love outlook. I also use all the links between the calendar and the email. Say what you want about Microsoft, I love that Outlook. I upload to Yahoo as a third back up behind having multiple monthly pst files.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Rumpy never gave me his card (but I didn't give him my card either). I really want his card though.
    No problem, I'll give you my card tomorrow. Oh, gotta go, Adult Swim is on
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Wulf9
    Long box (one my business cards came in). Most recent cards are in front. That's about 90% of the contacts I need. Sometimes I have to fish for the old ones.
    Exactly what I do with mine...all in the box my cards came in, sitting in the top right hand drawer of my desk.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I use the corners of them to pick my teeth after lunch.

Registered
    May 2005
    If they're associated with a certain development, I keep them in that specific file. Others I have sitting in a small box somewhere on my desk...I never thought of putting them into Outlook.....thanks guys!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Into the rolodex they go, alphabetically, with the most frequent contacts being towards the front of each divider. I have no time to input the data into Outlook, although I do seem to have plenty of time to post here about this pressing subject matter......hmmmm.....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Do they issue 'women cards' as well?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 14 Jul 2011, 12:32 PM
  2. Questions on resumes, business cards, etc.
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 29 Jun 2011, 7:46 AM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 15 Dec 2009, 3:38 PM
  4. Cards in the Fish Bowl
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 09 Nov 2006, 5:09 PM
  5. Yellow cards
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2