Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Looking for impressions of Annapolis, MD

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005

Looking for impressions of Annapolis, MD

Hi everyone,

I am considering accepting a job in Annapolis, MD. I've never been to that area but I hear lots of good things about the place. Anyone out there who's familiar with that area. What are your impressions of the the region as far as livibility and as a place to raise a family. Looking for family friendly stuff to do in the region. Thanks in advance for any input.

Registered
    Aug 2005

Md

Quote Originally posted by big_g
    Hi everyone,

I am considering accepting a job in Annapolis, MD. I've never been to that area but I hear lots of good things about the place. Anyone out there who's familiar with that area. What are your impressions of the the region as far as livibility and as a place to raise a family. Looking for family friendly stuff to do in the region. Thanks in advance for any input.
    I lived there for about 4 years as a kid. It was awsome! Its beautiful, the weather is great, you get four seasons, Living on the Chesapeake bay is great. I havent been in years but my advice is go for it.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Beautiful town, great historic preservation. Don't know where you are coming from but it does have a higher cost of living than some areas but still more economical than just down the road closer to D.C. Great jumping off point from major towns in the area (all within 2 hours).

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The city itself is small and compact, with less than 40,000 in population. It is surrounded on all sides, though, by suburbs - to the north lies a contiguous suburbanized strip along Route 2 extending all the way to Baltimore, about 25 miles. Quality of life is, overall, high, with the bay, DC, and Baltimore all nearby, not to mention BWI airport. On the downside, there is no rapid transit service to either big city, save for rush-hour express buses. Traffic can sometimes be a nightmare, especially on Route 50, and the housing is almost certainly pricey, though it probably gets less expensive as you get farther from the bay, and north toward Baltimore.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    A friend of mine lived in Severna Park, about 15 minutes outside, for many years. Every time I'd visit it seemed we'd end up in Annapolis. Its a pretty town that has kept its historical fabric intact. Probably the most attractive state capitol I've seen yet. Its kind of WASPy and gentrified, and the boating-sailing culture is very prevalent. There Are some great sailing opportunities in the Chesapeake Bay. So many inlets, rivers running into it, lots of little old towns along it. A cheap family restaurant with some local color is Chick-n-Ruth's downtown. The whole area seems to have a lot of parks and bike paths.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Three words: Blue Crabs - Yum!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I tended bar with a guy from Annapolis while attending college. He seemed okay. Drank a lot of Pepsi...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ChevyChaseDC
    The city itself is small and compact, with less than 40,000 in population. It is surrounded on all sides, though, by suburbs - to the north lies a contiguous suburbanized strip along Route 2 extending all the way to Baltimore, about 25 miles. Quality of life is, overall, high, with the bay, DC, and Baltimore all nearby, not to mention BWI airport. On the downside, there is no rapid transit service to either big city, save for rush-hour express buses. Traffic can sometimes be a nightmare, especially on Route 50, and the housing is almost certainly pricey, though it probably gets less expensive as you get farther from the bay, and north toward Baltimore.
    I've only been out of college 2 years with a family of three. The pricey housing is my biggest concern. This job is sort of stepping stone job that doesn't pay as much as I would of hoped, but its related to my degree and should open some doors. I will most likely take another position in another town like Baltimore, DC, or Philly in two or three years. Job market in Michigan is just plain awful right now. and sometimes you gotta take what you can get.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Impressions of disgruntled planners
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 06 Jun 2012, 6:35 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Dec 2009, 8:39 AM
  3. Your Impressions Of Metro Areas
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 08 Sep 2008, 7:17 PM