Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Guess The City 263 (No Picture Edition # 22)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Guess The City 263 (No Picture Edition # 22)

This Bear is unsure if an unwritten rule is being violated.....by posting a Guess The City while another version hangs unanswered. Not sure if we are supposed to wait till the olde one(s) close out. Somebody help me.

While waiting, here it is, Guess The City # 263, No Picture Provided Edition # 22:

I am a smaller city, located near a beautiful park. The beautiful park is pretty unique, as parks go.

My industry is a logical fit for the area. And birds visit me and the area by the millions.

Because of my climate there was something very telling (and big) in my city center area. Can we say "climate-inspired testing"?

About fifteen (15) years ago, my city and county were highlighted in national magazines because we were giving something away.

What city am I?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    San Juan Capistrano, CA.....but I could be wrong.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    San Juan Capistrano, CA.....but I could be wrong.
    I'd be surprised. Isn't GTC always some obscure place in the midwest? Guess the Cyb's elsewhere in the nation need to get on the stick and post some cities so we can frustrate the midwesterners...

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Lower East De Noc, MI?
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Leamington Ontario

Park = Point Pelle National park, a spit out into Lake Erie, most southern part of Canada, also known for its beaches, and wetland observation areas.
    Known as Canada's sun parlor, this area is known for growning tomatoes in hot houses that keep the giant Heinz factory busy making catsup. This area is also known as one of the few wine regions of Canada.
    Downtown = Giant Tomato
    Bird's = Jack Miner's and other bird sacntuaries provide habitate for migratory birds.

Give away? Canadians don't give anything away! They're mostly scottish! Maybe they gave away a bunch of dead mayflies?

Registered
    May 2003
    OK, folks.....it's "hint time".....

This city is somewhat close in distance to another GTC (GTC # 262). If that clue doesn't clinch it, here's more.....

This city is in North America. This city is in a continual "squabble" with another city that makes the same climate-related claim. This city had (not sure if it is still there) a tavern in their central business district called The Viking Bar.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    International Falls, Mn

Bill

“Mmmmm... I look good. I mean really good. Hey everyone... come and see how good I look!”

- Ron Burgundy

Registered
    Aug 2005
    what is a GTC?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Jaz
    what is a GTC?
    GTC= Guess The City

I'll have to say International Falls, MN also on the basis of their continual battle with Fraser, CO as the "Nation's Icebox"
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Minneapolis MN
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    GTC= Guess The City

I'll have to say International Falls, MN also on the basis of their continual battle with Fraser, CO as the "Nation's Icebox"
    Fraser, CO??

I thought Embarras, MN was the nation's other icebox.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2003
    Congratulations to Bill.....aka ICT/316.....for being the first to correctly guess International Falls, MN in this round of GTC.

Let's explore the clues.....

International Falls is a small city, located just west of beautiful and interesting Voyageurs National Park. This whole area is a paradise for canoe campers, because you can put your canoe in at Voyageur's and work your way, via hundreds of lakes and portages, to Lake Superior. all through the stunning Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA).

Bird-watching is a big deal in the area becasue it is under a natural flyway for migrating birds. Of course bird-watchers have to see through the white smoke produced by the huge paper mill that is almost in the center of town.

It does get mighty cold here in the winter, and the city markets itself as "Icebox Of The Nation". (Other cities try to claim that title, also.....Fraser, CO, Pellston, MI, both come to mind. I believe that Embarass, MN is continually in the cold weather news because it shares the same low winter temps as The Falls, but has that unique city name.) A lot of cold weather research takes place in this area.

The city did have the world's biggest thermometer, in the central business district. I believe that it has gone away. perhaps a victim of the bottom being blown-out by a snap of 50-below weather.

About fifteen (15) years ago, Koochiching County (International Falls is the county seat) made national news with a well-publicized land giveaway. Large plots of forest land was given away to those who would move to IF and establish residency. Additional incentives were waved around for industries to locate there.

This Bear and the ex-wife stopped at The Viking Bar for a few drinks, back in about 1988 or so. Drunk factory workers from the paper mill tried to hit on my wife so we left.

The area is a fisherman's paradise, and summer temperatures often rival the midwest. But boy are there winter temps a bit on the chilly side. Sometimes the city will go a couple weeks without getting above zero degrees.

Rainy Lake, just east of town, is a favorite spot for houseboaters (late spring, summer, early fall). In the dead of winter there is (or was) a plowed road our on the lake that takes the automobile driver on a cruise past Native American cliff paintings, waterfalls, and hundreds of ice fishing shanties.

Interesting place. Nice job, Bill.

Thanx for playing.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 21 Sep 2005, 1:09 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 19 Sep 2005, 5:04 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 06 Sep 2005, 7:07 PM