Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Poll: How many night meetings do you have per week?

Poll: How many night meetings do you have per week?

I'm getting to the point at my private sector position where I'll probably have 5-6 night meetings in a typical month. Just curious about what other people, especially people in the private sector, experience on their end (so that I have some basis for feeling that attendance is reasonable or unreasonable).

As an aside, I'm presently weighing a public sector opportunity, and this is a factor (given that the salaries aren't dramatically different). Thanks!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I work in the public sector. My experience is this: generally speaking, counties have day meetings while cities have night meetings. I much prefer counties because those city night meetings cut into my cocktail hour(s).

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'm in the private sector, and my experience with night meetings varies. There are periods when I have 2-3 night meetings a week, and then stretches when I have none at all.

I'd say I average 3-4 night meetings a month.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I'm a member of the public, so I prefer night meetings because I work during the day and can't make it to day meetings.

That aside, I have a friend in the private sector that said he has a night meeting every day (I'm assuming he didn't mean weekends) till mid September. They're presenting the conversion plans for a 1920s Sears distribution center of over 1,000,000 sf into a mixed use community. With a project that size, there are lots and lots of stakeholders to meet with and most of them work during the day.

For the curious, the project has a website: http://www.poncepark.com
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Five or six meetings a month is not uncommon at higher levels in municipal government. In addition to two plan commission meetings, you can count on two council meetings, and then another meeting or two for various committees. Then, if you are in a visable position, you may be expected to make an appearance at other functions with the Chamber of Commerce, schools, civic organizations, etc. There were months in which I might attend ten or more meetings.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well....

I'm public sector right now and I attend between four and five night meetings on average per month.... This is something that most should negotiate over during the hiring process, as far as salary needs.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Zero, we have our Planning and Zoning Board meetings at 1:30 pm.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    5-8 meetings per month, depending on the time of year (pre-budget season means more CIP meetings).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2003
    It just depends on the month for me because sometimes I will go with one or two meetings per month and then there will be other months that I will have 5 - 6 meetings at night.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have worked in zoning/land use in 2 counties in FL and 90% of the meetings are at night. In my last position, I had 5 normal meetings a month, and more if we had comp plan update or community hearings, almost all at night. It was not unusual to be at hearings until midnight or later.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Public sector. I have 1-3 evening meetings per week, dependant on current projects.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I work in the private sector and I probably average about 3 meetings per month. Sometimes I can have 3 per week, though. One year between Thanksgiving and Christmas I had 8 meetings. This winter and spring I went 3 months without going to one meeting.

My company is pretty flexible. I dont get paid for this overtime, but if I want to take an afternoon off here or there, especially after a hectic week or after a big deadline has passed, no one cares. Also, after a night meeting, I sometimes sleep in the next morning and come in around 9 or 9:30 (usually I am in by 7:30).

I personally like the flexibility. My company treats for dinner before meetings too, so I get a free meal. Whoo-hoo!!!!
    urbanchik

Registered
    Dec 2001
    0 here as well. All our meetings are during normal business hours.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

wow

Quote Originally posted by hilldweller
    Zero, we have our Planning and Zoning Board meetings at 1:30 pm.

i'm jealous - i have 3 night meetings on average a week here - i'm the lone planner, with 2 administrative staff so i'm it!

i do have one board that meets in the afternoon, which is good; but now they are thinking of moving to a night meeting! argh!

Registered
    May 1997
    When I was circuit-riding with small towns in the '70's, plus doing a new comp plan for the county with multiple citizen advisory committees, I would do multiple meetings per evening sometimes - one small town at 7:30, another 8 miles away at 8:30. I seldom did less than 10 evening meetings a month. It varied a lot during my consulting career, but I would say that 8 evening meetings a month was about average. Even trying to settle down here in VT, I am doing a plan update and have at least 6 evening meetings a month. If you have a strong belief in participatory planning, evening meetings are your destiny.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Minimum of 3 per month . . . not bad. (public sector)

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    0 here as well. All our meetings are during normal business hours.
    Another ZERO here. Our Planning Commission and Historical Committee meetings are in the afternoon.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Nov 2002

2-10 a month

Depends a lot but I have found that 1-2 a week is common in local government around here, although there are slow times with weeks off and then there are busy times when you could go to more, or may have to.

I have pushed back on some of the less important night meetings now that I have childcare issues and interests. But its hard to do good public sector planning without night meetings. I generally also have less night meetings now that I am not doing zoning work.

Fortunately, weekends don't come into the picture except on rare occasions (other than having to do some work at home sometimes).

The biggest factor I have noticed that varies is how long the meetings go. At my last job meetings from 6-11 were not that rare. Now I find that a meeting from 6-9 is seen as a really long one.

Public Sector -- regularly have seven night meetings per month: PC, BZA, 2 City Council, Redevelopment, Historic Preservation and Urban Enterprise. Additional meetings as assigned by the mayor...
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I generally have 2-3 night meeting per month. It is usually just ZBA (twice a month) and the occasional PC meeting if I have a case there.

I'm a grunt level Planner, so no Village Board meetings for me.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Apr 2002
    In my new job, I'll have two a month, both for about four hours on consecutive nights. I don't think that's bad at all. We get comp time for them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Number of work-related night meetings?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 04 May 2012, 3:34 PM
  2. Replies: 43
    Last post: 29 Dec 2006, 11:41 AM
  3. Trivia Challenge Week 2 Poll
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 10 Jul 2006, 12:24 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last post: 08 Mar 2006, 3:15 PM
  5. Night Meetings