Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wondering about Colorado, Washington and Oregon!!!

Registered
    Aug 2005

Wondering about Colorado, Washington and Oregon!!!

I just happened to stumble upon this great little cyber world when I googled the phrase "Towns or cities similar to Jackson, Wyoming." So basically, I think I'll post it here because the questions and answers I've read on this website so far are really informative and sound like they come from people who know what they're talking about.
    On that note, here's what I'm curious about....
    I spent a summer in Jackson, Wyoming working at a great little restaurant; Sweetwater, and unfortunately decided to leave. Now while living in Boston, MA, I'm finding myself really missing the outdoors, small town style living.
    I'm interested in knowing about towns and small cities in Colorado, Oregon and Washington that give you a small, artsy, young feel but are relatively close to a larger city, and have a fun, upbeat night and day life, and lots LOTS! of outdoor, recreational, swimming, biking resources are available.
    I love the northwest, and know that no place compares to it....any help anyone can offer is SO greatly appreciated!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My favorite is Salida, Colorado (or its neighbor, Buena Vista). There are a line of fourteeners immediately west. The Arkansas River flows right through town and there is a kayak run in the downtown. Of course, river running is a big sport. Monarch is fifteen miles away, if you like skiing. Many artists call the place home. There is even a natural foods store there. Don't be surprised if I relocate my consulting business to the area. Colorado Springs is two hours and Denver is two and a half.

You might also consider:

Bend, OR
    Kalispell, MT (Missoula is also nice, but is it too large?)
    Jasper, AB (for the Canadian option)
    Moab, UT (if you want to give the canyons a shot)
    Spearfish, SD (my favorite of the Black Hills communities - though Hill City is very nice)
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Estes Park, CO is really nice. I went here on vacation awhile ago and it's gorgeous. You're right by Rocky Mountain State Park, but it's also not far from Denver, CO.

Other places might be Astoria, OR, with a beautiful waterfront, cute little downtown, and not far from Portland.

For Washington, maybe Aberdeen or Walla Walla.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2005

thanks!

thanks! I'm looking to move in December, so I'm going to start a little job searching for these areas. All suggestions are great!!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

How about....

Durango Colorado- Mesa Verde, skiing, four corners area......Great Director in their Planning Department and was a job open recently.....

Grand Junction's not a bad base camp, Colorado Nat. Monument, 1.5 hours to Moab and canyons.....Dinosaur national park is 2 hours away, Powderhorn ski area...small but kinda like your own hill once your there

Vernal Utah- Not close to big city, but check the map and see the open areas, monuments and parks nearby

Questa New Mexico- I know its not on your list, but what an area, Taos, Sante Fe....and you want to talk about art??

How about the Northern Arizona towns?
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I'll have to plug the town I work in, Loveland, CO. Gateway to Rocky Mountian Natl aPark and Estes Park, Loveland is a small community that is suprisingly artsy. About an hour north of Denver (55 miles to downtown), Loveland also boasts a healthy mix of retirees (as they wanted to adverise the town as a mecca fr geriatrics in the 50s...) but there is a very yong population too, as well as the nieghboring town to the north, Fort Collins, where Colorado State atracts around 20,000 yound students from around the country.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Hood River, OR...Windsurfing capital of the NW, 30 minutes from Mt. Hood (skiing, hiking, biking), 1 hour from Portland. Plus, two microbreweries!
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Durango gets my vote! 4 seasons and every outdoor sport imaginable. Durango and the surrounding area are a great size to get everything you need but not so big to be considered a big city yet.
    Crested Butte is another great little town. Rivals Moab for mountain biking mecca with a wider range of trails from forest to high desert. Great skiing.
    Salida is a mecca for whitewater kayakers and artists.
    Moab is awesome for mtn biking and hiking. I think the 4-wheelers have taken something away from the area since I used to frequent it in the late 80's.
    Summit County, Colorado (Breckenridge or Frisco) are phenominal places to live with stuff to do year round and a great overall "feel". I lived up there for a while and miss it.
    Bozeman, Montana was a ton of fun.
    Hood River, Or is a good choice if you like the wind. They definitely make the best of it there.
    Newport, Or is a cool little town and not that far from Portland. It might be one of my first choices if I left the mountains for the coast. Hoome of Rogue Brewing.
    Flagstaff, AZ is really nice too!!

Great beer scenes in all of those places too!! None of them will be all that cheap though. But once you're a "local" and find all of the good places for food and drink, it gets much cheaper.
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.”-- William H. Whyte..

Registered
    May 2004
    My votes for WA. and ID include:

o Sandpoint, ID - sits on Lake Pend Oreille and under Schweitzer mountain for skiing.
    o Coeur D' Alene - city center is right next to Lake Coeur D' Alene, 35 minutes to Spokane, numerous snow skiing opportunities, Iron Man Triathlon in the Summer. ample access to many lakes and hiking opportunities. 2 1/2 hours to Missoula.

Both are within a 2-3 hour drive to Nelson BC-very nice.

o Don't forget Bellingham, Wa - located between the Cascades and the ocean. Easy access to Vancouver, BC and Seattle.

o I might also throw into the ring Twisp and Withrop, Wa in north central Wa. Great location in the North Cascades. Incredible cross-country skiing, amazing access to hiking, rafting, and kayaking. 2-3 hours + to Seattle and Spokane.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by spokanite
    My votes for WA. and ID include:

o Sandpoint, ID - sits on Lake Pend Oreille and under Schweitzer mountain for skiing.
    o Coeur D' Alene - city center is right next to Lake Coeur D' Alene, 35 minutes to Spokane, numerous snow skiing opportunities, Iron Man Triathlon in the Summer. ample access to many lakes and hiking opportunities. 2 1/2 hours to Missoula.

Both are within a 2-3 hour drive to Nelson BC-very nice.
    I'll have to echo this. I love Nelson, and I have spent ample time in CDA and wish to someday live and work in Sandpoint.

Great country up there!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by prana
    Summit County, Colorado (Breckenridge...) are phenominal places to live with stuff to do year round and a great overall "feel". I lived up there for a while and miss it.
    What he said.
    Also consider Logan, UT.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    If you want to be literally isolated from the rest of America, go to Point Roberts WA, a dinky little town, where you have to go through Canada every time to get back to America.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 12 Jun 2009, 5:31 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Jul 2005, 11:23 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 May 2004, 7:38 PM
  4. In case you're wondering...
    Friday Afternoon Club