3 9.09%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a shoehorn?

Registered
    Dec 2003

Do you use a shoehorn?

I was at the local shoe store the other day when I couldn't get this one pair of shoes on. I was just about to give up and ask for another pair, when all of a sudden the salesperson handed me this weird plastic looking device. "What's this weird, but somehow familar device?" I asked. "It's a shoehorn, you use it to get the shoe on that's giving you trouble, or if you are too lazy to untie you shoes." he replied. Well holy jumping jimminey jackels. I remember the shoehorn. We had a bunch in the junk drawer growing up.

Man this makes putting my shoes on so much easier.

So my question to you is, do use a shoehorn?
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I remember when I was a kid my dad taking me to the shoe store and helping me try on shoes. That included the use of a shoehorn. Oh, the good times.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    At the moment, all I own is a single pair of shoes and they are sandals. I probably did use a shoehorn as a kid but now that I am one pair of shoes (and a boyfriend) away from "barefoot and pregnant", I have no use for them whatsoever.

PS Is this the appropriate thread to say that my only pair of shoes are hot pink and so is my purse? And "Hot pink is the new black"? (I feel like Massha. ) If not, I will save that announcement for some other thread. Thanks.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    RT, funny.

and no, dont have one, but think my grandad used em.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Have a metal one at home and keep a plastic one at the office for teh winter months.

Now the real question, who here uses shoe trees?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I've got one. I use it for one pair of shoes, my best black formal wedding and funeral shoes. I'd love to have checked a "yes" up in the poll, but mine is niether plastic nor metal, it is literally 'horn'. Rhino, i believe. The wonders of south african grandparents.

I've a mate (my vegan, non-car owning, organic vegetable-eating, public transport using, Green voting, only-wears-clothes-not-made-in-sweatshops mate) who says things like "how can you condone the slaughter of such noble animals? How do you sleep at night?" .. but frankly i like it. I've no intention of going on a big game shoot to get me another, but i cant see what throwing it out will do for the rhino's cause. And a plastic one would be so definatley inferior. This one is smooth and fits right into my hand .. and my foot. Plastic just cant replicate it.

I have a shoe horn that came with a pair of shoes. It was especially useful when that pair was new and not broken in because they were seamless leather (no elastic or laces) and fit like kid gloves (quite literally). But now they're so broken in I can just slide them on my feet, but they're also falling apart...

Also, clerks in nice shoe departments like Nordstrom's carry them around to help customers. It's a great passive advertisement for shoehorns.
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    PS Is this the appropriate thread to say that my only pair of shoes are hot pink and so is my purse? And "Hot pink is the new black"?
    Of course hot pink is the new black! Just look at Elsa Schiaparelli (or at my mother with her purse).
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    I have a pair and use them when I'm in an exceptionally neat mood.
    Visit me at deviantArt: [link]

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I remember Father did and think my brother does for his Golf shoes.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JohnHupp
    Of course hot pink is the new black! Just look at Elsa Schiaparelli (or at my mother with her purse).
    Dude, she died in 1973. Are you calling me OLD?

Registered
    Oct 2003
    No, I dont' use shoehorns. I never really saw the point of using shoehorns. And yes, I've bought many different new shoes in the past, but I've always been able to put them on without a need to use a shoehorn.

In fact, I have troubles with shoes as my feet is long and wide, but skinny. So, I have to tighten up the laces quite a bit because most shoes and sneakers seem to be made for "fatter" feet, for the lack of better explanation.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Hceux
    In fact, I have troubles with shoes as my feet is long and wide, but skinny. So, I have to tighten up the laces quite a bit because most shoes and sneakers seem to be made for "fatter" feet, for the lack of better explanation.
    Try looking for English shoes. That might help.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Try looking for English shoes. That might help.
    As in shoes made in England?

When I studied in England, I couldn't find a pair of shoes that were long enough for me. So I don't know what is my luck of finding a pair of shoes made in England that is long enough in North America...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    As in shoes made in England?

When I studied in England, I couldn't find a pair of shoes that were long enough for me. So I don't know what is my luck of finding a pair of shoes made in England that is long enough in North America...
    Oh. Sorry -- I don't really know about length. I just know that shoes made in England never work for me because they are so narrow. I grew up wearing Italian leather sandals because they are wider and fit my feet better. I also had no trouble finding shoes which actually fit me when I lived in Germany. Here in the states, finding shoes which both fit and are not just hideous is quite a task. Apparently if you are not some tiny little thing, you are supposed to get a lobotomy to remove any sense of style you might have and make you content to shop from The Ugly Rack.

In short: If you find a brand that fits better, be loyal. If you are ever just rolling in dough, you could also consider having them custom made. Someone who does that is hard to find and they are not cheap (the article I read some years ago said she charged like $400 for making a pair of shoes -- I imagine with inflation it would be more now). But if you have serious foot issues, it can be worth it.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    No, I dont' use shoehorns. I never really saw the point of using shoehorns. And yes, I've bought many different new shoes in the past, but I've always been able to put them on without a need to use a shoehorn.

The point of them is to prevent damaging the heel cup of your shoes.

As for were to find shoes for skinny feet, try Dacks. But be prepared to spend some $$. Actually, any good shoe store will have B's and C's in larger sizes. I have the opposite problem, fat feet.

For sneakers try new balance, they have width sizing, and the good news is that a large percentage of their manufacturing is in the USA.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    So my question to you is, do use a shoehorn?
    I do not use a shoe horn I could never figure out which end to blow into.

I planted my shoe, watered it faithfully, but still don't have a shoe tree. I'm thinking of having a word with the salesman who sold it to me. And I thought I haggled a good deal.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon

I planted my shoe, watered it faithfully, but still don't have a shoe tree. I'm thinking of having a word with the salesman who sold it to me. And I thought I haggled a good deal.
    A wonderful response. Brilliant. You have caught on quick.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear hasn't used a shoehorn since the 1950's. Picture the slightly chubby 10-year-old, dressed in the Catholic School uniform, with the neatly-shined shoes. Because of wide feet I had trouble getting those "not-Puppies" (figure that out ) on my feet.

When I was married (# 2) in 1973 I really didn't need a shoehorn. They don't work well with green Converse hi-tops.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    No, I don't use a shoehorn but I always keep one around just in case. I think I should use it on Mac's little feet, it could be lots of fun.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    A shoehorn was used to place ZG into her desk fort.
    Was it a troll size shoehorn??????
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    ....I think I'm going to get into trouble for this...
    You did not need or use a shoe horn to get into trouble with that post did you.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    Oh. I am not in the least bit musically inclined. I thought we were discussing something else. Sigh.

Clueless in California.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by sisterceleste
    Was it a troll size shoehorn??????
    No, but here's the dude responsible.

Nice gams.

Quote Originally posted by JNA
    You did not need or use a shoe horn to get into trouble with that post did you.
    Who? What? Me? Hello? Trouble? Never.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 21 Aug 2005 at 8:03 PM.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Mah grandpappy always used un'. Except he called it a "shoespoon". For my 6th birthday I got this nifty 'grooming kit' that included a brush (with a cool plastic horsehead handle) and yes a shoehorn too (also with the same plastic horsehead). I made it a point always to use the shoehorn when putting my Keds blue tip sneakers on (who else here remembers Keds?). Sure the act of using the shoehorn was completely unnecessary but it was what you were supposed to use. Ironically I had a brush cut hair style in 1st grade and the brush was equally superfluous. But no, I havent made use of a shoehorn since 1st grade.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I haven't even seen one since we went to a kids' shoe store when I was a kid. My kid has never seen one; we get all his shoes at Target or WalMart. Oh, and once, dress shoes at Dillard's, but no shoehorn.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Much like your shoe sales person, I too know the value of a good shoe horn. I have a several and use them all the time. It well help to make your shoes last much longer too!

(A Tradehome man knows the tools to use in every case)
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast