Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Healthy Snacks in a Vending Machine?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Healthy Snacks in a Vending Machine?

This morning I missed breakfast so I made my way down to the vending machine only to find that there was nothing healthy in it other than a granola bar and animal crackers.

So I went to make a suggestion and when asked what would I like to see in there, I was lost.

What healthy snack foods would be good in a non refrigerated vending machine?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2001
    How about Oreos?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Granola bars in vending machines are not healthy...the animal crackers may have been your best bet!!
    Raisins would be alright in a vending machine...wow, I can't think of that many healthy snacks either

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Granola bars in vending machines are not healthy...
    I thought the same. Those bars have just about as much sugar as a regular candy bar. Plain rice cakes are horrible, but I'm sure they would appeal to someone who wants a low-fat, low-sugar and just plain tasteless snack.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    What healthy snack foods would be good in a non refrigerated vending machine?
    Peanuts (unsalted)
    Rasins
    Instant Oatmeal packets (not sure you can get that outta a vending machine?)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Dried fruit would be OK, but they lose a lot of nutrition in the process and seem to add salt as I recall.

The big problem is that stuff in vending machines usually must have a ton of preservatives.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 1998
    You would be better off stocking up your desk fort with provisions. Kashi GO Lean Crunch is pretty good. Low fat very high fiber and protein. You can eat it right out of the box. Kashi also makes some breakfast bars, but I've never checked out the lable.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    May 2005
    Chex Mix!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I stash things in my desk, soy nuts, peanuts, etc. and bring in fruit that I keep in the fridge. Grapes are an exceptionally delicious, healthy snack. I buy a 3 lb bag on Monday and it last me through the week. Just make sure that you do not leave the fruit in the fridge. We have people who put stuff in their and forget about it, not a pretty site.

Registered
    May 2003
    Our vending machine sells a 12 ounce V8 Juice for $1.30! The soda sells for $0.60.

Clearly the state doesn't give a flip about the health of its employees.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The healthiest thing in our vending machine is Cheetos.

Personally, if I was you, I would have snuck out to McDonald's and gotten an Egg McMuffin (which, among fast-food breakfasts, really isn't bad and beats the heck out of donuts, health-wise..)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm thinking Lay's potato chips and some canned sardines.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Don't coke and chocolate bars cover two of the four food groups?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The healthiest thing in our vending machine has got to be cheetas too! They used to have (salted) peanuts, but it looks like those got replaced with these sugar coated things.

I just noticed a typo, but I don't think I'll change it - "cheetas". I should have spelled it "cheetahs". Our vending machine also has monkey jerky and wildebeast, leopard, and giraffe jerky. Mmmmmm nothing better than giraffe jerky for a quick snack.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    The healthiest thing in our vending machine has got to be cheetas too! They used to have (salted) peanuts, but it looks like those got replaced with these sugar coated things.

I just noticed a typo, but I don't think I'll change it - "cheetas". I should have spelled it "cheetahs". Our vending machine also has monkey jerky and wildebeast, leopard, and giraffe jerky. Mmmmmm nothing better than giraffe jerky for a quick snack.
    You forgot to mention the dehydrogenated cheese product stick with a refined beef flavored soy and filler stick.

Oh and the peanuts are back! But they are now coated in sugar preservative product.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Our vending machine also has monkey jerky and wildebeast, leopard, and giraffe jerky. Mmmmmm nothing better than giraffe jerky for a quick snack.
    I had some bison jerky over the last weekend.

I doubt I'll ever find it available in our office vending machine.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Street vending
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 21 Dec 2012, 5:54 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Jun 2012, 12:16 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 May 2011, 2:02 PM
  4. AIB - Snacks -Cheese