Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New gas stations: seeking examples of good design

Registered
    Sep 2001

New gas stations: seeking examples of good design

Does anyone have any pictures of "good" new gas station designs? I can think of a few, but can't find them on the net.

Also looking for design standards and zoning language to prevent gas stations locating on corner lots.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Also looking for design standards and zoning language to prevent gas stations locating on corner lots.
    Why would you want to prevent corner site locations? As intense a use as a gas station is, I would hate to have them mid-block, blocking traffic for those waiting to turn in and only allowing limited egress and ingress. However, they DEFINITELY should not be allowed to have curb cuts that run the entire frontage of the property which I see quite a bit and can be dangerous when you have cars entering and exiting from all over, especially close to the intersections. This also allows for landscape islands and removal of the perception of so much impervious surface.

You also want to have access aisles so that cars that are filling up aren't blocking lanes of on-site traffic.
    One lot of redevelopment prevents a block of sprawl.

Registered
    May 2003
    In cities, corner lots are prominent locations that justify (and require if you don't want to look trashy) much higher uses that can result in a complete street wall.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by IlliniPlanner
    Why would you want to prevent corner site locations? .

One problem we have with corner lots is that people use them to cut through and they also cause turning issues, plus our design philosophy is to try and have major intersections as gateways to the neighbourhoods that they service. While in the community I work the car is king, it would be nice to not be reminded of that every mile.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Found an old thread on this, sorry for reasking

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1549

part 2 of this question is to ask if anyone has pictures of "good" new gas station developments.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    In cities, corner lots are prominent locations that justify (and require if you don't want to look trashy) much higher uses that can result in a complete street wall.
    How many of us really live or work in "cities"? Corner gas stations are an archetypal development pattern in the "National Automotive Slum."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 14 Jun 2010, 11:18 AM
  2. Any good examples of beach design?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 18 Jan 2007, 7:03 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 13 Oct 2006, 10:01 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 May 2005, 12:13 AM