Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Facade easements to use federal funding for rehab

Registered
    Jul 2002

Facade easements to use federal funding for rehab

Hope this is the right place for this Thread.

Here is the deal. I'm looking for some input, ideas, and locations where the following had taken place.

You have a downtown where you have a road right of that goes up to the fronts of the buildings. As a result the street, curb, sidewalks can all be rehabed, and worked on using local, state, and federal money since there in the ROW.

What I wondering and looking for examples of is when property owners grant public ROW easements for the first 2-4 feet of their building (ie Facades). What this would then do is allow the City, Town, DDA, or others apply for funds to restore, and rehabe the facades using State, Local, or Federal dollars since they are not part of the public ROW.

Does anyone now of any community that has successfully done something like this?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I assume you are trying to avoid "gift of public funds" issues? Another easier solution would be to grant forgivable loans to property owners?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    Does anyone now of any community that has successfully done something like this?
    Our state community development agency and regional HUD office frown upon the use of facade easements to bypass CDBG restrictions.

Registered
    Jul 2005

facade improvement programs

Facade improvement programs and the like are quite common across the country. My city's program uses CDBG funds and through my research found that other cities use a variety (or combination) or funding sources.

Quote Originally posted by BKM
    I assume you are trying to avoid "gift of public funds" issues? Another easier solution would be to grant forgivable loans to property owners?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Federal funding and NEPA
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 13 May 2011, 5:24 PM
  2. Facade program funding
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Jul 2008, 12:19 PM
  3. Federal 10% rehab tax credit: calling for case studies
    Economic and Community Development