Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Minor League Baseball

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Minor League Baseball

Two more weeks to go in minor league baseball and it does look like we'll repeat as league champions - kinda hard when you don't make the playoffs. That's not the point of these leagues and can be much more fun and less expensive than the multi-millionaires major league.

The P's family likes to go to a couple of games a month to be outside in the summer air, visit with friends, drink a beer, let Wee-P take a carousel ride (yes they have one at our ballpark) and see a game. We have the Hickory Crawdads, a Class A affiliate of the Pirates, and its fun to see if we can recognize any names if they reach the majors.

Just wanted to see if you have and support a local minor league team.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

We have the AA team of the Mets nearby in Binghamton, NY. It is fun to see guys from AA make the big team. Support is mixed for the team. When attendance is only 2,000 for a night it makes me wonder why they stay. However on 2 for 1 beer night the attendance is usually over the 5,000 mark.

The Reds' Triple AAA Louisville Bats (formerly Riverbats, formerly St. Louis' Triple AAA Redbirds, formerly Colonels)

Great downtown stadium, reasonable prices. Up and coming major leaguers, rehabbing major leaguers, guys that'll never get a cup of coffee but won't give up until the legs fall out from underneath 'em. Cool stuff.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2002
    We've got the Hagerstown Suns, a single A team. Used to be an affiliate of the Orioles but in recent years have been with Toronto, San Francisco and currently the Mets. Our stadium is probably one of the oldest in the minors, built in the 30's. It's really nothing special and there is a push to hopefully construct a new one soon. We go often and hang out in the bleachers with friends or the beer garden on Thirsty Thursdays. $1 drafts! We won the first half but all the good players got sent up and our team is pretty awful right now so I don't have much hope for a run through the playoffs.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Boring Sport.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I used to go to Denver Zephyrs games as a kid. (I think they moved to New Orleans when the Rockies came to town?) Thos were fun. Cheap seats and you could sit right behind the dugout/homeplate at the old Mile High Stadium. I remember it being, at 80,000 seats, the largest minor league stadium (of course the Broncos played there as well). It was neat to see the place virtually empty, except for seats around the dugouts.

I do wish, after watching Bull Durham a couple weeks ago, that we could get a team up here around Fort Collins. We support our minor league hockey team passionetly and baseball would be a fun summer activity here. Probably a rookie or single a team would work well.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2003
    Yeah I've been known to go to a White Sox game from time to time.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    In my fair city we had the Triplets (AAA)
    and now have the Otter's (Frontier League)

Side Note: BOSSE FIELD Facts:
    Opening Day, June 17, 1915
    Professional ballparks older than Bosse Field:
    Fenway Park in Boston (1912)
    Wrigley Field in Chicago (1914)

Hall of Famers who played here:
    Bob Uecker 1957 Braves
    Warren Spahn 1941 Bees
    Hank Greenberg 1931 Hubs
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Toledo Mud Hens

The Toledo Mud Hens are still in first place in their division, cruising with the best record in minor league baseball at the Triple A level (the level nearest the major leagues, for you non-baseball thread browsers). The Mud Hens logo, on shirts, shorts, hats, etc. is rated as the most popular in minor league baseball. Fans crowd Fifth Third Stadium in downtown Toledo to watch the muddy ducks play ball. Surrounding the field, which is just completing its' third year, are a number of downtown taverns and restaurants. The stadium was picked as the best in minor league baseball for a few years in a row.

The Hens used to play at Lucas County Recreation Center, which was basically an old harness racing track converted to baseball. Small crowds, no enthusiasm, etc.

What a difference with a new stadium, built in the central business district, using the small skyline of Toledo as a backdrop for the outfield. The stadium is very fan friendly, with large open areas for just standing around, watching the game. People who go to the stadium find it very fan-friendly and very family-oriented.

Owners of other minor league teams are making the trek to a few minor league venues, to see what is being done right. Louisville and Toledo both rank high on "must sees" for those owners.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Omaha has the Triple AAA Royals, an affiliate of the other minor league team, KC Royals (How did that happen?). Maryland has the Hagerstown Suns, as MD Planner pointed out, the Bowie Baysox, Frederick Keys and the Aberdeen Ironbirds who are owned by "Mr. Switch me to 3rd Base to save the streak" Cal Ripken, Jr.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Two AA minor league temas I go to see on occasion:

NH Fisher Cats (Toronto's AA Affiliate) - in Manchester, NH....minutes from home. Great new ballpark, and CHEAP tix (most expensive is 12 bucks).

Portland Sea Dogs (Red Sox AA affiliate) - Portland, ME. Very nice stadium in Portland (Hadlock Field). Close enough to go every once in a while (about a 2 hr. drive from home). Great place to see future Sox players (including a few great prospects right now).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I am in a great place for minor league baseball. Six teams within a hour and a half drive

Charlotte Knights Tripple A
    Asheville Tourist Single A
    Winston Salem Warthogs Single A
    Greensboro Grasshoppers Single A
    Hickory Crawdads single A
    Kannapolis Intimidators named after #3 single A

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Single-A minor league baseball stadium development
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 25 Jun 2012, 11:46 PM