Urban planning community

Poll results: Hairy backs. Are you:

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Man with hairy back?

13 24.07%
  • Man with naturally no hair?

21 38.89%
  • Man with back hair who shaves or waxes?

2 3.70%
  • Woman with hairy back?

1 1.85%
  • Woman with naturally no hair?

12 22.22%
  • Woman with back hair who shaves or waxes?

0 0%
  • I live with someone who has a hairy back and I would be willing to appear on a talk show.

3 5.56%
  • Other; please explain below

2 3.70%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Back Hair

Registered
    Aug 2001

Back Hair

ZG and I were having a discussion about this issue. Apparently women talk about this stuff all the time (but why?). You've all seen the pics (some of them posted on Cyburbia) of Mr. Pelt of a Bear with the number 3 shaved into his back.

I'm going first. Man, with naturally no hair. (And ZG says "whew"!)

So, are you:
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I voted woman, with naturally no hair. (As RJ noted, women discuss this stuff; would I admit it if I did?).

Oh, he says "whew", too....

Registered
    May 2003
    I've no hair on my back or my chest. Appearently that's fashionable now, but a few decades ago a lack of chest hair would have been a blow to a man's masculinity. I don't know why that's changed.

Do the girls here prefer chest hair or no?

Also I'm not at all suprised that girls talk about back hair. I've long ago quit being shocked at how trivial most female conversations are.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I prefer chest hair to nuzzle in!

Back hair takes a bit to get used to. I did not prefur that. And when it is shoulder hair that just takes it one step further.

I would never make someone shave or wax. It is a prikly pain for us to shave our legs, I can't imagine that it would be fun for men to do their backs.

I certainly would never want a man to shave his chest, that would just be wrong.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    RJ and ZG - TMI
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    This thread can't be considered complete without this essential photo.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I had an associate in the military we simply called SSG Sasquatch. He had to trim his arm hair down from sticking out of his long sleve shirts. Nuff said?

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I can answer this thread with a movie quote:

KING KONG AINT GOT NUTTIN ON ME!!!!
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jul 2004
    While number # 3 is my number, Back Hair is not my thang... but thanks anyway Dan.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Back hair does nothing for me. Remember you can't grow grass on a play ground
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I have both a hairy chest and a somewhat hairy back. I have recently become self conscious of the back and shoulder hair and am considering a waxing, except it is supposed to hurt.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My girlfriend and I talk about this often. She had a list of things she wanted in a guy she made up before we met. Chest hair was an item she had not considered, so I naturally tease her about it. Yes, I have a hairy chest. Although I have some hair on my back, it is not thick and it is light colored, so no hairy back. As for the shoulders, they get an occassional shave. The chest hair will remain.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I have recently developed a little bit of back hair. After going through most of my life relatively hairless (at least on my back), this comes as a surprise.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I am pretty hairy. Dark hairy and somewhat dark skin. I'm a little self-consciouss about it, so I tend to wear long sleeve shirts and long pants in almost all situations.

Quote Originally posted by donk
    I have both a hairy chest and a somewhat hairy back. I have recently become self conscious of the back and shoulder hair and am considering a waxing, except it is supposed to hurt.

You might cross post this in the Wussification of America thread. (oops. except you are Canadian. 'nuff said. )

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    No back hair on this Bear. Even before the chemo.

I have been thinking of glueing some hair on my back, driving up to Kalamazoo and pick up Stan, and swing over to Bristol, TN, to watch a race.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    The back hair thing is very scary to me. Eek!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    I've no hair on my back or my chest. Appearently that's fashionable now, but a few decades ago a lack of chest hair would have been a blow to a man's masculinity. I don't know why that's changed.

Do the girls here prefer chest hair or no?

Also I'm not at all suprised that girls talk about back hair. I've long ago quit being shocked at how trivial most female conversations are.
    Well, I don't think I have EVER discussed back hair, or chest hair, for that matter with any of my friends. Like MEN never have trivial conversations!?!?

I've never understood the "hairy = masculine" thing. Really it's more of a personal preference. I had a male friend in the '80s who had a VERY hairy chest. He told me that he shaved it once, but as it was very itchy growing back, he claimed he would never do it again. I got back in touch with him a few months ago, and he sent some pictures to show me what he looks like now. I guess he's been working out and wanted to show me how "good" he looks, so he included a pic of his muscular chest and stomach. Look, Ma, no hair! I guess he's shaving or maybe waxing.

Personally, I like men without chest and back hair. But my husband has a little of both, and that's fine by me.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Oh, great thread RJ!!!!!!!

I plan on making a new carpet with my back and shoulder hair
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Feb 2004
    No back hair here. Wouldn't care if I did though.

For the record I'm sure it was Rumpy who cast the woman with hairy back vote.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    No hariy back on me.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Yep, I am one hairy dude!

I keep myself well-groomed though so that even though I'm hairy, people can tell that I take care of myself. I have long and dense arm & leg hair. I've also got hair on my back and shoulders. I keep my back shaved (talk about for better or for worse, the Mrs. helps me do this ) and trim my arm & leg hair.

It was something very embarrassing for me in high school even though I was in really good shape. Nobody gave me grief about it much because I was a really strong guy (don't mess with me) and was very likeable. But I definitely had some self-image problems because of it.
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 29 Aug 2005 at 12:43 PM.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    yes, light hair on back. much more hair on front.

no shaving for me.

although this one time, when Mrs B was pregnant and very upset I couldn't cheer her up at all. So in my infinite retardedness, I told her "that's it" and stormed away to the bathroom. I came back with my shirt off and razor in hand and proceeded to shave patches in my chest hair until she laughed. "Look at what you made me do!!," I exclaimed. The things you do to make someone happy.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    No hariy back on me.
    But your palms are another story...

The back is free and clear... For now. I'm sure I'll never have a hairy back as my wife will attack me with wax the moment a hair is spotted above my collarbone.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I am one of the 3 polled who responded this way:
    I live with someone who has a hairy back and I would be willing to appear on a talk show.

My boyfriend has a hairy back. On a scale of 1 to 10, it's a 3. Not too bad, really. I used to SWEAR I'd NEVER date anyone who needed to shave their back.

I think this whole issue originates from seeing men on the beach in their Speedos and gold chains, who suddenly turn around to reveal not only some butt crack, but also a great expanse of carpeting on their back.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    two ugly patches on my back... nothing substantial...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Having a hair-tastic day
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 02 Jun 2014, 9:21 AM
  2. Where did the Hair Bands Go?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 16 Aug 2004, 7:33 PM