Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: NASCAR hero worship

Registered
    May 2005

NASCAR hero worship

At what oil price per barrel do people cease to worship the 'heroes of NASCAR?'

Don't think this aspect of culture as address in FX Oil Storm.
    - Beware more of the man in the fancy cloak, than the one in tattered clothing -

Registered
    Dec 2003
    It might increase it. People will go to see cars that they can only dream of driving at any speed. I would think the hard thing for NASCAR would be getting the fans to the tracks. I imagine most people drive, many long distances, in big fuel inefficent vehicles. If gas is too expensive, I doubt you're going to see buses taking race fans to the track.

Then again, this could be a market opportunity for Greyhound.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    As long as the NASCAR drivers keep up with the public relations, the sprot will get bigger at every event.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by circusoflife
    At what oil price per barrel do people cease to worship the 'heroes of NASCAR?'.
    The amount of gasoline burned by a bunch of cars making lots of really, really fast left hand turn, or even all motorsports, is probably miniscule compared to what was consumed by the audience in driving to the event.

NASCAR race - 400 miles x 40 cars = 16,000 cumulative miles / 8 MPG = 2,000 gallons of 114 octane racing fuel, or about 0.003% of the capacity of the Exxon Valdez, or 0.006% oconsidering gasoline yield from crude oil. This is also about the same amount of gasoline I use in three years.

NASCAR audience - 150 miles roundtrip (based on average spectator travel mileage to a typical Nextel Cup race at Charlotte) x 60,000 cars = 9,000,000 cumulative miles / 15 MPG (considering lots of big git-r-done pick-em-up trucks, motor homes, etc) = 600,000 gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel, or about 1% of the capacity of the Exxon Valdez; 2% if you're looking at gasoline yield from crude oil.

(Average driver - 15,000 miles per year total / 20 MPG = 750 gallons/year, or a bit over a third of that used by all NASCAR stock cars in a single race.)

I won't even consider the petroleum that was consumed by the energy required to support NASCAR venues, team and media logisitics operations, tire rubber consumed by drivers and fans, mullet gel, plastic beer cups, and so on.

Considering there's about 40 Nextel Cup events in a year (I think), and a yield of about 20 galloins of gasoline from a 42 gallon barrel of crude oil, I'd say that the impact of NASCAR is about a tanker of crude oil every year.

US annual oil consumption is about 20,000,000 barrels/day, or 840,000,000 gallons. (!) Bonus points for those who can calculate the percentage of the US annual gasoline consumption consumed by NASCAR - drivers and fans.

Registered
    May 2005
    Thanks for the nice analysis Dan.

I wonder even more about the image and idolization of the car and drivers that things like NASCAR promote.
    (And products - nascar - one of the most, if not THE most advertising heavy sports ever)

The rich guys running the NASCAR teams can pay for it with gas at any price...

The whole bigger is better mentality (Engines, speed, louder, etc...) ...at some point does gas become so expensive that people look at their cars differently.

That V-100 20 seater I bought that costs $300 to fill......maybe I'd be better off with a Ford Focus.

That 100 foot long RV I bought...for tailgating parties..it looks kind of ugly now. It kind of looks like overkill. What was I thinking?

Why did I ever put up a poster of Jeff Gordon in my garage. What a punk!
    - Beware more of the man in the fancy cloak, than the one in tattered clothing -

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 26
    Last post: 02 Oct 2013, 10:42 AM
  2. Regulating places of worship
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 02 Dec 2009, 9:16 AM
  3. Are you a NASCAR Fan?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 18 Jun 2006, 2:16 PM