Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Career plans/interview

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Career plans/interview

Hey everyone

Here is my situation, I'll be defending my Thesis in September (probably around the 20th) and trying to find some sort of job/internship afterwards. What I was wondering is if any of you had to work as an intern for a while after completing Grad School before a permanent job would be offered to you. I've applied and interviewed for a couple of positions and it seems that the reason I can't get my foot in the door is because of having no experience (Masters in Planning, Bachelors in Geography/GIS).

I'd also like to know if anyone on here was able to secure a job strictly over the phone. I plan on meeting face to face as many times possible (I live in WY), but travel expenses are a factor if someone in New York, Florida, or anyone long distance wants to meet me in person.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What, aren't there an endless supply of planning jobs in Wyoming?

Eventually, you will have to interview in person. It is all but unheard of for somebody to be hired without that personal meeting.

Experience is always going to be a factor. If you can line up an internship it would help you, but not very much at this point. Your best bet, assuming you are willing to relocate, is to focus your search on nearby growing parts of the country like Arizona or Nevada.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 1997
    The single biggest factor I am seeing in distinguishing among entry level people is the quality of the internships and volunteer projects they have completed.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I once was hired for a paid summer internship based upon a phone interview. It was a great experience too. But I can't imagine an employer doing that for a permanent job.

If you know you want to move out of Wyoming, why not go now? Find an area you would like to live in, where there are a lot of planning jobs as Cardinal suggested, and get a head start. Might be easier to find a job that way, and interviews will be easier to accomodate. Get a short term lease on an apartment until you know where you want to be, that way if you decide to move somewhere else, you can do so. A little risky and adventurous, I know. But especially if you are single, it could be fun and well worth the risk.
    urbanchik

Registered
    Sep 2005

Experience & Moving

I ran into the same problem at the completion of my M.U.A. Not only did I have no internship experience (I was part-time student, full-time employed), BU's City Planning program isn't APA accredited, and I had no government experience. I sent resumes everywhere in the country, mostly to no response at all. Okay, enough of the complaints list.

I'd say getting government experience in ANY capacity will help your interviews. I'm currently writing policy and managing data for the MA welfare department, which is not what I want to do, but I'm hoping it'll help. Anyone's thoughts on whether it'll help or hurt would certainly be welcome.

Moving to Arizona, where they're dying for planners, might not be a bad idea. Of course, they're also looking for experienced planners; so, you might want to just send out some resumes to see if you get any bites.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Asking for an interview
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 29 Dec 2010, 12:43 PM
  2. The interview you'd like to have...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 22 Jul 2009, 1:20 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 16 Jan 2009, 3:04 PM