Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Guess the City 267 (No picture edition 24)

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries

Guess the City 267 (No picture edition 24)

I just got my snazzy new 2006 Road Atlas, and thought I'd use it to pick a place for the next GTC.

This city has a population between 15,000-30,000
    A state university is here, the 2nd smallest in its state, although it's dorm towers may make you think otherwise
    It shares its name with a place roughly the same size, located in Mississippi, but spelled differently
    An NFL team used to do summer training camps here
    The Wal-Mart Supercenter is probably the most exciting thing in town
    Although this place is probably in the middle of nowhere and has no Interstate highway within 20 miles, it has decent 4-lane roads and an Amtrak station
    The surrounding area is rich in agriculture
    The county has been evenly divided between Republicans & Democrats during the past few presidential elections, but it inched Bush both times

Good luck!!
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My guess is Central Missouri State University in Warrensburg, Missouri. I believe that it fits all criterion, although I don't know what football team would have had summer camp there. Ahh well.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner
    My guess is Central Missouri State University in Warrensburg, Missouri. I believe that it fits all criterion, although I don't know what football team would have had summer camp there. Ahh well.
    Nope. Although the similarities to this city surprise me.

Warrensburg is only 16 miles from an Interstate.

This place is actually more like 30+ miles from an Interstate.
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Is it Macomb, IL ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Is it Macomb, IL ?
    Dammit!! Just kidding...

Yes, you're right. Macomb, IL is the place.

I know the place quite well, and have/had family & family friend conncections here. I have been here several times.

From experience, I can say it's a pretty boring university town in the middle of nowhere. Of course, it is the county seat and has a lovely downtown square, but much of the city is quite economically depressed and could use some signifcant improvement. If the college wasn't here, the town would be much worse.

For explanation of the clues:
    The city's population is 18,000, with about 10,000 more during the school year including students, falling between the 15,000-30,000 category, any way you slice it.

The state university is Western Illinois University, the 2nd smallest in IL, with an enrollment of 13,500. Almost all students live on campus, and many live in singles, so thus there are massive dorm towers.

Macomb shares its name with McComb, MS, but spelled differently. Their populations vary by only about 5,000.

The NFL team that used to do their summer training here is the St. Louis Rams. 2004 was the last time in Macomb, at least for now.

The Wal-Mart is probably the most exciting thing and probably the biggest sales tax booster. However, there are several vacant big-box (clothing, discount, grocer) stores in town, and makes for a really crummy scene.

This place is about 30-50 miles from both I-74 and I-72. There is a decent quasi-4 lane freeway, and efforts have been made make a complete 4-lane quasi-freeway from Galesburg to Quincy. Talks have been made to make an interstate in this area, but for now it can wait. The demand isn't quite there for Interstate designation...the idea is mainly just for economic boost. Macomb does have Amtrak though.

The surrounding area is indeed rich in agriculture, nestled on fertile land between the Mississippi and Illinois rivers.

And the county (McDonough) has been split 50-50 Bush-democrats for the past two elections, but Bush edged the opponent out both times. I guess you could consider it somewhat of a bellwether.

Thanks for playing!!
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Sounds like a slightly smaller version of Saginaw MI, but in Saginaw the Walmart is not the center of culture, the tilt wheel factory is!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Sounds like a slightly smaller version of Saginaw MI, but in Saginaw the Walmart is not the center of culture, the tilt wheel factory is!
    Haha. I think Saginaw would be more of a principal city though, no? Isn't it the central city of the M-B-S area??
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Amtrak Station, gotta be in Hawaii. Maybe the city where Western Central Hawaii State U is located?

(For Mendelman....)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 21 Sep 2005, 1:09 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 19 Sep 2005, 5:04 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 06 Sep 2005, 7:07 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 07 Aug 2005, 11:13 PM
  5. Replies: 19