Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Peppers

Registered
    Jul 2002

Peppers

OK, my garden's got jalapenos, Thai "little bullets" and habaneros. What's your "pleasure."

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Tom, now what, exactly, are you going to do with all those peppers, aside from burning all your tastebuds off and getting an ulcer?

Registered
    Jul 2002

peppers

Good question. I make killer chilli and I'm going to try to make my own hot sauce.
    I've read not long ago that some scientists have found that the same stuff that makes the peppers hot has been found to kill skin cancer cells.
    Seriously, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the really hot ones.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'll trade you El Guapo's Kimchee for a peck of pickled peppers!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Tom R:

I've heard (read?) that you can crush those chili, mix it with water and use it as a natural insecticide.

GB

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Guap, if I remember correctly, you never did divulge your "formula" for your kimchee!

Registered
    Jul 2002

peppers

Originally posted by El Guapo
    I'll trade you El Guapo's Kimchee for a peck of pickled peppers!
    If these habaneros are as hot as I've heard, a peck might reach a critical mass and kablooey!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2002

Re: peppers

Originally posted by Tom R
    Good question. I make killer chilli and I'm going to try to make my own hot sauce.
    I've read not long ago that some scientists have found that the same stuff that makes the peppers hot has been found to kill skin cancer cells.
    Seriously, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the really hot ones.
    Throw 'em in a dehydrator then grind them up for your very own special blend of chili powder or curry. Coffee grinders work well for this purpose, but I would advise against using the same one that your coffee beans go through. Unless of course you REALLY want to wanke up quickly!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    oh.. and be careful after you go picking.. I've got pals that have picked and then needed to.. go....and then had a severe burning sensation which required a long milk bath soak..

The habaneros aren't too hot, they taste great if you mix them with the sweeter salsas, IMHO.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Peppers

OK, my garden's got jalapenos, Thai "little bullets" and habaneros. What's your "pleasure."
    I love jalapenos, the dried red chilis in thai food, and pepperencini (excuse the bad spelling there). I love just about anything hot. Tabasco, wasabi... whatever!

Warning on the habaneros... don't eat them whole unless you've tried them cut up in recipes first. This guy I knew at the City of Oak Harbor dared me to eat three in a row. I had a blind date that night that *did not* go well. I think he was wondering why I had to go to the washroom so often... finally at the end I had to 'fess up and we both got a good laugh out of it.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Tasteless Post Warning!

One of the local grocery stores, to inaugerate their new "hot stuff" section, held a hot sauce tasting contest. The more hot sauces you tasted, the more chances to win a prize in a drawing. God, they had some scorchers! I got through 13 out of 30. I had to stop at the office restroom on the way back home.

The contest was shut down by the police because they had to call the ambulance twice for people who pushed beyond their limits

Registered
    Jul 2002

inedible

Dave's Insanity is the hottest stuff I have ever tried to consume. It's inedible.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: inedible

Dave's Insanity is the hottest stuff I have ever tried to consume. It's inedible.
    Dave's is yummy. I like it on baked potatoes with sour cream. Mmmmm... spices up the cold, cold winters. I better stock up... snow is in the forecast for Monday!

Registered
    Jul 2002

Re: Re: inedible

Originally posted by nerudite

Dave's is yummy. I like it on baked potatoes with sour cream. Mmmmm... spices up the cold, cold winters. I better stock up... snow is in the forecast for Monday!
    Well, maybe I'm a more of a light weight than I thought.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I like to dry them then soak for 3 or 4 months in olive oil. Them use the olive oil to metre out the heat for different dishes.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2002

hot

Originally posted by donk
    I like to dry them then soak for 3 or 4 months in olive oil. Them use the olive oil to metre out the heat for different dishes.
    Good idea.

I put a few of the Thai peppers in a jar of pickled green tomatoes. They gave them the little bit of a bite they needed.

Registered
    Dec 2001

Re: Re: Re: inedible

Well, maybe I'm a more of a light weight than I thought.
    Tom, I practically spilled dave's all over a burrito.. I teared up halfway through.. it tasted soo good even though it was soo hot. Now, i take more heed to the warnings on the bottle.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I have one question / comment

Area we talking about hot just for the sake of hot (ie burn your friends mouth and laugh at them) or are we talking about heat with a specific flavour and subtle nuances. (ie it comes on slowly then builds to flame that can melt lead, then leaves a pleasant aftertaste of the pepper itself)

Heat should never overpower tthe flavour of what is being cooked, only exaggerate the flavour and provide a genuine opportunity to sweat.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mostly I like the heat to complement the other flavors, as you said donk. But sometimes a rush of hot stuff (like wasabi burning your sinuses) feels pretty good.

I have a very high tolerance to spicy. When I use stuff like Dave's, I usually just splash a little onto something... I don't douse things in it or anything. I like some non-spicy hot sauces too... like Tabasco green is incredibly yummy on eggs.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Tabasco green is like salt and pepper at my house. The new habernero tabasco is also good. In ottatwa there is a store across from the US emabssy that specializes in hot sauces.

http://www.chillychiles.com

They do mail order.

+ Reply to thread