Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are your plans for Labor Day Weekend?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

What are your plans for Labor Day Weekend?

What are your plans for Labor Day Weekend? Anyone going on a long distance car or truck road trip? Maybe get out the truck and rent a 5th- wheel camper to pull with it?

I will be driving to Chicago Land for a wedding tomorrow, spend time with the GF’s parents on Saturday, and spend Sunday and Monday working on homework.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2000
    We're having a real live neighborhood block party. BYOB !!!! I'm in charge of baked beans and music. I plan on drinking till I pass out in on neighbors lawn. Acutally, my kids will be with me, so I will be a good boy.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Heading to the cabin with the GF and the dog.
    Going hiking Saturday morning, then watching football on the dish up there:
    -Northern Colo. vs. Colo. School of Mines
    -Colorado vs. Colo. State
    -Notre Dame vs. Pitt

Oh and drinking beer... lots of beer...

Then I will finish some landscaping when we get home Sunday.

Of course, with gas I may change some plans...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Riverwalks, hikes through old growth forests, beachcombing, trolley rides, column climbs, good beer, good wine......just a typical weekend here on the Oregon Coast.
    actually, I'll be painting my front porch for parts of the weekend, but I couldn't resist the shamelss plug of this region as we roll into our summer months

Registered
    May 2002
    Maybe going to the Michigan RenFest on Saturday, maybe staying home. Depends on whether I want to buy the gas.

Sunday, I'll be installing a back wall on my carport.

On neither day will I be setting my alarm clock though!
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This morning I was in the office a little after 5:00 AM, because had to scoot at 11:00 AM, to take Katie to an important doctor appointment. That means that my Labor Day Weekend will start with a very long Friday at the workplace.

Saturday is work in the garage day.....until football comes on. If you watch ESPN at Noonish you will see Bowling Green State University at Wisconsin. An ex-employee of this Bear.....Omar Jacobs.....is the quarterback for the Falcons. Chances are the punter and a couple defense ends will also see action.....they worked for me, too.

Michigan's Wolverines are on at 3:30 PM.

Sunday my son and his family are coming over. Cookout time, a paint the garage party, and taking down a tree. Fun.

Monday is NO LABOR DAY. I plan to do just that.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Saturday - hopefully some yard work
    Sunday & Monday - Family Reunion for Mrs. B and her father's family.

Luckily we only have to drive 120-150 miles round trip.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Camping tommorrow night with the boys (not REAL camping, but tent nonetheless) its just a little spot, not too far from home where my aunt has a little piece of property...cousins and stuff, swimmin, smores, just some fun for the boys...then heading to the Lake, saturday morning, would like to back out with the cost of gas and such but I don't thin the boys would understand, this being their last summer weekend at the lake...so I am bucking up and filling the tank tommorrow
    But it will be a fun long weekend for the boys and I can work on the last of my summer tan

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Saturday were having a "donation" concert and event at the new amphitheater, with the funds going for paint and seeding! With gas prices so high... we'll probably have a big crowd!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jun 2004
    The Owl Family was going to have weekend guest but because of gas prices and availbility we are going to load up the kayaks and head to a quiet mountain lake . Little Owl and i will explore the lake while Mrs. Owl sits in the middle of the lake and reads her trashy romance book . Sunday i will be smoking some ribs and monday i'll get around to replacing the drywall in my apartment where i have some water damage .

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Headed to the first Texas State game of the season. One perk to grad school: free admission! I'll be tailgating with my wicked margarita brew!

I need to grill something this weekend for Labor Day... I'm thinking chicken tenderloins and bratwursts...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus
    On neither day will I be setting my alarm clock though!
    Good Point

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Monday is NO LABOR DAY. I plan to do just that.
    Another good point.

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Michigan's Wolverines are on at 3:30 PM.
    That's not important

Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    I can work on the last of my summer tan
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Mackinac Bridge Walk

Hey, michaelskis, or any other Radio Free Cyburbia listeners.....

You ever participate in the Annual Mackinac Bridge Walk?

Every year on Labor Day, two (2) of four (4) bridge lanes are closed, allowing walkers to stroll from the Upper Peninsula side (St. Ignace, MI) to the Lower Peninsula side (Mackinaw City, MI). Counting the walk from where the bus drops you and picks you up, the total walking distance is about seven (7) miles.

It begins at 6:00 AM and is supposed to end "sharply" at 10:00 AM. But all of the times I was there they kept letting walkers on until about 1:00 PM. The crowd is usually about 75,000. (Can we say "cadence-induced harmonic vibration"? )

The Michigan governor is always the first to walk. Many famous politicians and celebrities have walked in this event, including George Herbert Walker Bush. Most famous walker is probably Bear Up North.

I did this walk for fifteen (15) years in a row. It has been a few years since thge last time. My plan is to be there next Labor Day.

With the gasoline price increases, this year may see a reduction in the number of walkers.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I'm going to a Red Sox game on Saturday- against the Orioles. It's next to impossible to get tickets now and my friend landed some. Might watch some college football, too, and head up to NH on Sunday for a hike.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    No special plans, hope to drink some beer, do some neighbourhood exploring and just generally hanging out.

Any requests for Toronto pictures?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Any requests for Toronto pictures?
    Sports regions of the city, maybe some shots of the ACC and the Skydome, as well as the surrounding areas?

-Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Saturday will being doing some yard work preparing for Monday's activity, but Saturday night is cookout time with beer and friends (since they are now staying here instead of going anywhere because of gas prices / availability worries). Sunday we're going to my Aunt and Uncle's house on the lake. They are giving us their old three story kiddie play fort with a tube slide for Wee-P. He and I are going to dismantle it while the girls sit in the lake and shout directions we won't pay attention to. After we load it on the trailer to take it home, we get to sit in the lake and drink beer while the girls cook dinner (calm down - that was their idea, not the menfolks). Monday, then I'm going to try and figure out how to reassemble the thing in the space we prepared on Saturday. That's the plan - pray the implementation is successful and on schedule.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Quote Originally posted by Greenescapist
    I'm going to a Red Sox game on Saturday- against the Orioles.
    Nice! Just saw them last Sunday vs. Detroit.

Plan to finish my deck this weekend and drive as little as possible. Watch some movies and play some computer games. If possible I will try and convince my mom to come visit and entertain my kids for me too.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Nothing special usual week-end stuff - laundry, recycling, reading, oh watch some football, go out to eat, check cyburbia, ......

boy am I that boring.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    We were going to head up to Papoose Pond for the weekend, but decided to stay closer to home. Will likely hit the State Fair for an afternoon....otherwise, hang low, play with Wes, and let Planner Groupie sleep as much as she wants.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Moving furniture and hooking up a second computer to the internet. Maybe taking my son out for a nice dinner. Sleeping in. No real plans.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The more I think about it, the I think I may try to crunch some numbers whether we should go to the hills or not. I'm beginning to be afraid that the two gas stations in the mountains I may need to stop at on the way home will not have much fuel.

Plus I could get a ton of work done at the house:
    Installing laundry shelves,
    Garage workbench,
    Waterproof the deck.

I may have a talk with the GF and the dog and see what they say.

-Peart

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    I may have a talk with ... the dog and see what they say.
    I am worried that you are listening to your dog as to what you should do.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    I am worried that you are listening to your dog as to what you should do.
    Yeah, maybe you're right. The last time I asked her what to do she said I need to go crouch down in the in backyard and (AHEM) and then chase the frogs that come into the yard.

-Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    The more I think about it, the I think I may try to crunch some numbers whether we should go to the hills or not.
    NOT going to the mountains because of gas prices?? Where are your priorities man?!?!? 70's during the day, cooling off to the low 40's at night. No weather predicted! It doesn't get much better than this.

I have to work Saturday morning at the liquor store, which should be entertaining and extremely busy with people trying to get out of town, bikers trying to get into town and then our regular town drunks. I'm sorry, to be P.C., I guess that should have read our "local, chemically inconvenienced patrons."

But then, we're heading up the canyon to Mishawaka to see who's playing and becoming chemically inconvenienced ourselves. And then heading up further into the canyon, maybe to Steamboat for more liquid chemical indulgence, and do a couple of days of camping with still some further inconvenience via liquid chemicals.

I need out of this stinkin' cubicle!!

Who's got $50k so I can open a pub here in Northern Colorado?? Come on- fork it over. I'll give you a great monetary and "chemical" return on your investment!
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.”-- William H. Whyte..

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Labor Day weekend - 2011
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 03 Sep 2011, 9:03 AM
  2. What are your plans for the weekend
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 940
    Last post: 06 Jan 2008, 9:31 PM
  3. Weekend Plans