Urban planning community

Poll results: What will be the U. S. Average Price for a gallon of regular gasoline - 9/1/06

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than $1.50

1 1.82%
  • $1.50 to $1.99

1 1.82%
  • $2.00 to $2.49

5 9.09%
  • $2.50 to $2.99

13 23.64%
  • $3.00 to $3.49

9 16.36%
  • $3.50 to $3.99

6 10.91%
  • $4.00 to $4.49

11 20.00%
  • $4.50 to $4.99

5 9.09%
  • $5.00 or higher

4 7.27%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Predict the price of gas: September 1, 2006.

Predict the price of gas: September 1, 2006.

What will be the U. S. Average price for a gallon of regular gas one year from now?

Will gas prices stabilize or are we in for $3.50+ gas for the long haul?

Please state a figure and vote in the poll.

I see somewhat a stabilization of prices, but prices will remain close to what they have been for the first half of this year: $2.20/gallon

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    The current spike is temporary. I think prices will settle between $2.00 and $2.50. Prices have been over $2 long enough now that if they ever get below that threshold, it will seem incredibly cheap.

I remember my parents talking about paying $0.20 per gallon when they were kids and thinking that was incredible. Now I tell my kids I once pay $0.89, wonder if they will ever brag about paying $2.00 per gallon.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I think that it will get to $5.00 in the next month or so and then work it's way back to about $3.50 next year.
    "I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which, was that you can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love." - Jim Carrey

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I think that the mess in the Gulf Region will keep prices on a steady incline though the winter, and then things will begin to level off and come down to ~$3.25

this 25 mile commute is really pinching my pockets....

Registered
    Mar 2004

Maybe......

$3.00 to $3.49 a gallon next year....
    Skilled Adoxographer

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I think that this time next year the price of regular nationwide will average around $3.30. The real sticker in trying to predict this is when will the refineries be back online.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    +$5 bucks... easy, there's not much oil left in the world right? and the demand is growing quickly... Simple economics... Demand outpaces supply and the price skyrockets.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm guessing that prices will drop next year and stabilize at a little over $2...but I'm seeing the prices for September 1, 2006 in the $2.50 range (proximity to the Labor Day weekend and its spike in demand...).

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    I remember the first car I owned, a Fiat 850 spyder (POS), but with a 7 gal. tank, I the '70 could fill it for less than $5.00.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I hate being pessimistic... but I see it pushing $4.00 a gallon. I see civil unrest in the mid-east, a surprising inability of OPEC to produce enough supply, even at full bore, and a rapidly growing Chinese "consumer" class ready to put gas in all their new vehicles. Despite a developing moderate recession, people won't buy new, efficent vehicles for fear of sacraficing their 0% auto loan interest rates, paying more than the "employee price" and an otherwise stretched budget.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I wish I could drive one of these to work.....

http://www.w3sh.com/archives/CG_VGP-...NU01_FS_FR.jpg

...I would love it!!!

or maybe a......http://appassionato.fiat.free.fr/catalogues/500.jpg
    Last edited by mendelman; 01 Sep 2005 at 1:28 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

mendelman -- do you know what FIAT stands for?

I think it's going to be in the $3.50/gal range a year from today. What I wish would happen is the administration and congress see this as an opportunity to galvanize the American public and lead us into an era of oil independence. The president missed the chance after Sept'r 11 -- let's do it now. Hike the gas tax and plow the highway money (together) into reliable public transport and alternative fuels. What are we waiting for?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino

I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Nov 2002

I think it's going to be in the $3.50/gal range a year from today. What I wish would happen is the administration and congress see this as an opportunity to galvanize the American public and lead us into an era of oil independence. The president missed the chance after Sept'r 11 -- let's do it now. Hike the gas tax and plow the highway money (together) into reliable public transport and alternative fuels. What are we waiting for?
    That would be nice, but probably won't happen until Texaco, BP, Shell, GM, Ford, Halliburton, National Road Builders Assoc., blah, blah, blah, blah.... finds a way to make money from such initiatives.

After all, we sure learned our lesson and changed our behavior after the energy crisis in the 1970's.

Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino

Nah -- fix it again, Tony

Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    That would be nice, but probably won't happen until Texaco, BP, Shell, GM, Ford, Halliburton, National Road Builders Assoc., blah, blah, blah, blah.... finds a way to make money from such initiatives.

After all, we sure learned our lesson and changed our behavior after the energy crisis in the 1970's.
    Yeah, wishful thinking that our leaders might actually have the ballz to lead.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah.....

The above would be a good start for a nice piece of fiction......could you imagine the reaction of the middle east, when we tell them to go pound sand.....he he he....because we've figured out alternative energy sources using technology based solutions.....oh, how I would pay to see that reaction.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    In a year gasoline will be about $2.75 a gallon. In the next twelve (12) months, some younger OPEC members will use the business side of their brain and determine that they can buy another decade or two (2) of oil revenues by slowing any rush to other sources of energy, other types of propelling ourselves to Wal-Mart.

OPEC will move to cut their wellhead prices.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I think it will be about $13.42 a gallon.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I'm putting my bet on 3.50. I think that after the New Orleans situation is sorted out, prices will dip, but will have again risen to current levels in a year or so.

I also suspect it will continue to rise after that.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Unfortunately, I think it will be somewhere between $3.50 - $4.25/gallon next year. Who knows?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 176
    Last post: 18 Jan 2007, 5:45 PM
  2. September 27, 2006 Caption Contest
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 30 Sep 2006, 2:52 PM
  3. Predict the DOW - December 31, 2003
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 02 Jan 2003, 4:00 PM