Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I can't buy new jeans!

I can't buy new jeans!

Have you tried to buy clothes these days that are NEW. everything has been Vintage-ized. Worn frayed, splattered paint....

Our society is in such a hurry with so little patience that we can not even wait for our clothing to attain that beautiful lived in quality that makes them comfortable. We need it right away and we are willing to pay extra (quite a bit extra) to have some Chinese slave laborers put holes and splatter paint on our jeans for us. (can you imagine what the Chinese workers are thinking of America?)

Now I am not advocating going back to the days when a new pair of Levis was stiffer that a sheet of plywood...But, I think a lot of this pre aged stuff looks ridiculous. The aging does not even look authentic especially when every pair of jeans is identically aged.

I have a great appreciation for a great pair of comfy old and worn jeans but I like them to be worn by my body and my life not by some sand blasting machine.

PLEASE PLEASE bring back NEW new clothes!!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I hear ya!

You can always pick out the authentic frayed jeans from the manufactured ones. It is a major chore to find normal (not distressed) jeans. For every style of regular jeans, there are probably 20 styles of distressed. Drives me nuts!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by steel
    Have you tried to buy clothes these days that are NEW. everything has been Vintage-ized. Worn frayed, splattered paint....
    But it wouldn't be status-y to wear something worn and frayed because it was actually OLD.

<ducks>

Jeans

And I really hate it that these 'pre-distressed' jeans don't last nearly as long as the old fashioned ones. They are so thin and flimsy that after a few washes, a nice bend over to pick up a dime, and you have a beautiful split in the arse!!!! argh!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Wal-Mart ( ) sells "new" jeans that are not stiff when new, and hold up pretty well, and they're cheap. If course, I guess it depends on the style you like. I'm not buying hip-huggers or flared-leg jeans, so I can shop pretty much anywhere that sells clothes for the height-impaired.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    ..... clothes for the height-impaired.
    This 2, can be resolved by sharp scissors.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    A minor, but related hijack - what's the deal with really, really expensive designer jeans now? Back when I was a kid, there were Jordaches and Gloria Vanderbilts, but they were about the same price, or mayve five bucks more, thana pair of Levi's. Now there are tens of boutique brands with odd names like 7 for All Mankind, True Religion and Citizens of Humanity, and the jeans cost between $150 to $250. The only thing designer jeans seem to have going for them is that many brands are made in the United States, but still ... $200? C'mon ...

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Now there are tens of boutique brands with odd names like 7 for All Mankind, True Religion and Citizens of Humanity, and the jeans cost between $150 to $250. The only thing designer jeans seem to have going for them is that many brands are made in the United States, but still ... $200? C'mon ...

I actually own 2 pairs of these hyper expensive jeans. A pair of 7 for all mankind and a pair of earnest sewns. Neither are too distressed (the earnest sewn more then the 7's, but you can tell both are designer, especially the 7's(girly pockets).

The party line for the cost of these jeans is that they are made of Japanese or Italian denim that is double ring spun and woven on narrow looms which limits the amount of denim produced limited and leads to high flaw rates. All this was explained to me by a salesperson - no real clue what it means, and don't care that much to learn. Plus hot salesgirls typically sell them and eye candy costs.

Next jean purchase for me is going to hopefully be a trade of 2 pairs of levi 501's for 1 pair at a used place I know. The weight loss is appearing permanent so no more 38's for me.

Even though the reason I have these jeans was someone else's tastes, I'll probably buy another pair in the winter. From what I can tell looking in stores that sell expensive jeans, the distressed era, like acid wash is coming to an end.

We kind of discussed this in this thread
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    My Wranglers cost me $15.00 EACH. They are comfortable and I'm married, so who cares how I look.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    King B picked up two pairs of Levi's just the other day for $10.00 each.

I won't buy distressed. What I have found is that those are so popular that those "old fashion" dark blue not broke in ones can be found, Just keep looking!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    gap.com relaxed fit works for me. even has the longer legths I require.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    My question is why do men's jeans come in low-rise now too?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    Mostly preference. I find they fit better for those of us who are skinny and short waisted. Most of us don't really need as much drop in their pants as we get.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Mostly preference. I find they fit better for those of us who are skinny and short waisted. Most of us don't really need as much drop in their pants as we get.
    I would so have to agree......
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Like Donk I also buy designer jeans...I like the way they fit (no I don't like the cost) and rarely find others that fit the same. However, "dark" jeans are very much "in style" and if you keep looking I imagine you will find them.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    I would so have to agree......
    Ha. I like having one pair of those fancy, distressed jeans. I have a pair of Mavis- they aren't too overpriced and fit me way better than any other jeans I've ever had. Plus, I get lots of compliments on them.

Banana Republic jeans often go on sale for $20 or so and they are OK. Wouldn't pay the ful price for them though.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Greenescapist
    Ha. I like having one pair of those fancy, distressed jeans. I have a pair of Mavis- they aren't too overpriced and fit me way better than any other jeans I've ever had. Plus, I get lots of compliments on them.

Banana Republic jeans often go on sale for $20 or so and they are OK. Wouldn't pay the ful price for them though.
    I like Banana Republic jeans and, while sales are GOOD, I would pay full price for them. They just "feel" good, and the buttonfly pair I have fits me well enough to get repeated complements

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    Men are also getting manicures and brows done and spa treatments...the low-rise jeans are like that, too...METROSEXUAL!!!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Same here. I've found them to be much more comfortable that a normal fit. My preference is to a lower rise boot cut. I guess I can be a bit on the metrosexual side when it comes to dress, but you won't see me in no spa gettin' my eyebrows done up, NO SIR! Don't worry though--it's not like we're busting out with some of those "ass-cleavage" jeans that are popular in women's fashion!

I only go for the expensive jeans when they are on sale.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Are sweatpants the new jeans?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 18 Dec 2012, 9:15 AM
  2. TS needs jeans help
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 16 Dec 2012, 8:06 PM
  3. Women and jeans
    Friday Afternoon Club