Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Graduate programs-Portland State, Georgia Tech, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Registered
    Feb 2005

Graduate programs-Portland State, Georgia Tech, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Many people have stated in this forum that the benefits of going to a private university for a planning degree are marginal at best because the costs of these programs are too high and planning is a low paying profession.

Having said that, I am trying to evaluate a number of graduate programs at public universities. What I want to know is how does Cal Poly San Luis Obispo compare to Portland State and to Georgia Tech.

Some schools tend to only have good reputations in-state. Are any of these schools better than another or does it not matter at all?

From what I can tell, Georgia Tech seems to be well regarded, especially if I want to work in the SE. Is this true? Which school has the best reputation for someone who tends to move around a lot?

Thanks once again

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I moved from New England down to Atlanta to attend the GT planning program. It was a good experience with great faculty. Atlanta metro certainly has a lot of problems, which makes it a good laboratory for discussing quality growth issues. I do not know much about the other schools so I cannot provide a comparative analysis. The GT alumni have a good network throughout the county, so it has a pretty good reputation nationally.

The reason I decided to attend GT was due to their co-op program. This allows students to work for the university, local area governments, non-profits, or private firms in exchange for working 13 hours a week. The employers then pay the University a fee that takes care of student tuition and provides a modest stipend. When enrolled in the program, your tuition expenses are considered in-state (even if you are not). This is a program that provides practical experience along with the theoretical basis of the education. Good luck making your decision!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

well....

Quote Originally posted by krkrbts
    Many people have stated in this forum that the benefits of going to a private university for a planning degree are marginal at best because the costs of these programs are too high and planning is a low paying profession.

Having said that, I am trying to evaluate a number of graduate programs at public universities. What I want to know is how does Cal Poly San Luis Obispo compare to Portland State and to Georgia Tech.

Some schools tend to only have good reputations in-state. Are any of these schools better than another or does it not matter at all?

From what I can tell, Georgia Tech seems to be well regarded, especially if I want to work in the SE. Is this true? Which school has the best reputation for someone who tends to move around a lot?

Thanks once again
    Georgia Tech if you want to work on the east coast and Portland State if you want to work on the west coast.....and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo if you want to PARTY 24/7 DUDE .....he he he....just kidding.....I would pick Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, if you can get in state tuition Then spend the savings on rent or down payment for a house after you get work....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Feb 2005

Thanks-one more question

Would you say that Portland State is more highly regarded than ASU or University of Arizona for their planning program?

Thanks again.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by krkrbts
    Would you say that Portland State is more highly regarded than ASU or University of Arizona for their planning program?

Thanks again.
    I am not sure about which of these three are more highly regarded;
    but since you are currently in AZ
    so, as long as either AZ program is accredited and you have in-state tuition (KEY)
    then which school as the concentration that you are looking for ?,
    which school will help place you in a internship/workstudy job ?,
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Revision #1

Stick with the in state school for that in state tuition.....none of the places you mention is worth the extra $$ (I'm just saying...) And if you can go to a different school than your undergrad, that will look better.....One of the AZ programs you mention was recently under attack and on the chopping block, wasn't it....??? Go to the school with the best chance of still being there in 20 years.......
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Feb 2005

Concerns about programs

Thanks again for the advice.

While ideally, I'd like to stay in state, I'm not certain I want to stay in Arizona.

As far as ASU and University of Arizona, I have concerns about both programs. As you mentioned, I think the program at U of Arizona was on the chopping block a few years ago-they recently moved the program out of the school of architecture and into the Geography department. My impression is that the program is ok but it doesn't seem to stand out.

Regarding ASU, that program seems to have some problems. I was told by a few students that the program provides next to no career assistance-which is a big negative in my opinion. I was also told that they undergoing some turnover in staff. Aside from that, it seems that ASU on the whole is just too big and can't boast a top program in any field. Maybe, I'm being too picky.

Any other programs on the West Coast that you all can recommend? Thanks again.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 15 Apr 2013, 9:03 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Mar 2012, 7:45 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Apr 2011, 1:18 PM
  4. San Luis Obispo, CA
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 89
    Last post: 18 Feb 2011, 6:16 PM