Urban planning community

Poll results: How Many Hours A Week Do You Work?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard 40 Hours

10 16.95%
  • It Varies From 40-60 Hours

25 42.37%
  • I Don't Work & I Explain Below

3 5.08%
  • Color Me A Workaholic (Usually Over 60 Hours)

6 10.17%
  • I Am "IN" But I Don't Work

0 0%
  • 35-39 Hours

10 16.95%
  • 30-34 Hours

2 3.39%
  • Other

3 5.08%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How Many Hours A Week Do You Work?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I don't like staying longer but lately have been working around 50 hours a week, just to get things done. If I added the time I spend dreaming about work..

I forget to record extra hours for comp time.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've been averaging about 48/week here recently. I peaked about four months ago at 57/week and was absolutely miserable.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Between 40-50 per week. I get in at 7:30, leave about 5:00 and occasionally get a full lunch. I also take work home with me.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Usually a straight 40. Last few weeks with a growth policy update and public meetings I've picked up some comp time. We are lucky in that our commissioners don't like night meetings, so most of our meetings are duringthe work day. I might have a planning board meeting every other month in the evening.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Some of you guys are so lucky. In my jurisdiction, all the planning meetings are at night, up to 5 a month, plus special-area meetings, comp plan update meetings, community meetings, etc. One big reason I fled from planning to trails 3 years ago.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Some of you guys are so lucky. In my jurisdiction, all the planning meetings are at night, up to 5 a month, plus special-area meetings, comp plan update meetings, community meetings, etc. One big reason I fled from planning to trails 3 years ago.
    On the other hand, the citizens in your area are lucky to have a government that meets at a time they can show up. I hate it when I want to go to a public meeting but can't because it's during the work day.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I work full time (35 hours a week), that's what I get paid for. I know my family wouldn't be happy with working more than that. Plus, how are you able to be involved in your community (besides in your paid role) if all you do is work?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I typically do 35 hours a week. Sometimes I'll do more if something absolutely needs to get done. I think if you consistantly work more hours than you were hired for (or paid for) then there is either a bigger corporate staffing issue or personal performance issue.

I find that every organization has a few that consistantly put in "unpaid extra time" and then wear it like a badge of honour. I don't get that mentality. If I've got to work, then this is very enjoyable way to spend my working hours. But there is so much else to do in our short lives to waste too much time working.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. How many hours per week do you work?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 05 Jun 2007, 10:24 AM
  2. Work hours for planners
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 28 Jun 2006, 9:11 AM
  3. how many hours do you work per week?