Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Good examples of development handbooks

Registered
    Aug 2001

Good examples of development handbooks

I was wondering if any of you have links to a good Development Handbook put together by a local government. In Alberta, Edmonton and Calgary both have decent examples of handbooks, but they tend to be huge and overly-detailed at times. There are TONS of example out there, so it's not that I can't find any. However, with so many out there, I'm having a lot of difficulty finding good examples.

What I'm looking for is a Handbook that covers the local jurisdiction's planning and development process, and includes photos/illustrations, flow charts and clear, concise language. It seems that many of the examples I have looked at only have written text to explain each application type, with no or few flowcharts.

I will be working on putting together a process and procedures manual for my department in the next several months, which will probably be used to develop a Development Handbook.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Burlington, VT has some good design guides....see:
    http://www.ci.burlington.vt.us/plann...de/guides.html
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    I I will be working on putting together a process and procedures manual for my department in the next several months, which will probably be used to develop a Development Handbook.
    I hope you'll post a linik for us when you get it finished. My county government could use one, the one we have to use now is not very user friendly.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sorry I missed this thread earlier. I remember using Libertyville IL several years -- well, before the internet -- ago. I seem to recall having a couple others in my collection. I'll see what I can dig up.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Sorry I missed this thread earlier. I remember using Libertyville IL several years -- well, before the internet -- ago. I seem to recall having a couple others in my collection. I'll see what I can dig up.
    That would be great. I'm probably going to start this project in the next week or two and I'm expecting it will last several months. I'm actually looking forward to this quite a bit, as I have been wanting to put together both a procedures manual and a development handbook since I've been here (and that's been almost 4 years now)!
    Last edited by nerudite; 21 Sep 2005 at 11:41 AM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Mar 2011, 2:21 PM
  2. Examples of good economic development websites
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Oct 2010, 4:44 PM
  3. Streetscapes - search for good examples
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 26 Aug 2008, 11:46 AM