Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Man in affluent suburb unable to get land rezoned, gets pigs and rooster instead

Registered
    Dec 2003

Man in affluent suburb unable to get land rezoned, gets pigs and rooster instead

The AJC requires registration but www.bugmenot.com always has an account ready for you.

Basically a man bought a parcel of land in an affluent suburb with large minimum lot size requirements through agricultural zoning. Since the surrounding homeowners didn't want him putting two homes on the land as allowed by residential zoning, they got the county to reject his request to change the current agricultural zoning on the land. This is despite the fact that no one in that part of town is actually doing any farming on their land.

The result: The man painted his house University of Florida orange and blue, bought goats, pigs, and a very loud rooster. The county says it is powerless to do anything since those activities are permitted in agricultural zones.

My response to all the neighbors who thought they could make creative use of zoning to play country gentleman near the city and now have had it backfire on them: HAHAHAHAHA!

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metr...30ufhouse.html
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Good on him!
    Great mindless think alike.

Planning my way out of wet paper bag since 2003

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I wonder what the comprehensive plan designation was for the underlying property. If it was residential, he would have grounds for rezoning approval. If it was ag, well, too bad. If he wanted to subdivide his land, he should have bought a parcel with residential zoning.

In the City of Buffalo, zoning permits anyone to have one dairy cow on their lot, regardless of zoning district.

§ 78-2. Required acreage and permit for keeping cows.

A.No person, persons or association shall maintain upon their premises within the city limits more than one milch cow unless said premises are in proportion of one acre of land to each and every cow above the number of one
    Not there's a code long overdue for a rewrite.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    The only reason I can think of the land being zoned AG, would be to support the 'estate' type developments that are present along that stretch. But, everywhere around that area is at least medium density subdivisions.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm with Dan on this one. If the underlying land use is residential and these splits were in keeping with the plan, he should have been given his lots. If it was agricultural, he should have bought elsewhere. If agricultural land use is being used as a tool for creating estate residential, then the neighbors got what they deserved. If it is really intended to promote hobby farming, then it has worked! This comes from a former "country gentleman" farmer.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    These are the neighbors:

Doesn't look like any hobby farming going on, except for trees and shrubs.

This is what they now have to look at everyday. The goats don't seem too concerned about the problem. I bet the neighborhood kids love them.

Bill Grant is one of the people who helped get the county to turn down the rezoning request. Obviously as a developer he doesn't want competition, even if it is only from a two unit parcel of land, but I think he wants to promote large lot sizes and the old ag zoning is the only way he's been able to do that. Dunwoody is a first ring suburb and not really an appropriate place for such large lots. People need to choose: be near the city with density or in the exburbs with lots of land but limited access to city benefits.

I bet the neighbors crumble. You can only pass a lawn filled with orange and blue concrete alligators so many times on your way to your million dollar home before you decide that maybe it isn't such a big deal to allow two homes that are of the same style as the rest of the neighborhood on that land instead.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Dunwoody? Is this in the Atlanta area?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Yes, it's north of the city and east of Sandy Springs, centered around the perimeter mall area where Fulton and DeKalb counties meet. The median household income is over $100,000.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle
    Yes, it's north of the city and east of Sandy Springs, centered around the perimeter mall area where Fulton and DeKalb counties meet. The median household income is over $100,000.
    My sister used to live in Sandy Springs, so I am familiar with the name "Dunwoody" as a place too pricey for her to afford to live. I have been to the perimeter mall, undoubtedly quite a few times over the years. Thank you for elaborating.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Oh, yes, when I was growing up (in Sandy Springs next door) there was a group from Dunwoody known as the 'Dunwoody Mothers Club', I think they basically played tennis and had lunch, but whatever, it was/is a nice area of Metro Atl, certainly not ag land. It sounds like this guy got the raw deal and there is some 'selective' enforcement going on. I wonder is Grant went to UGA
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by H
    Oh, yes, when I was growing up (in Sandy Springs next door) there was a group from Dunwoody known as the 'Dunwoody Mothers Club', I think they basically played tennis and had lunch, but whatever, it was/is a nice area of Metro Atl, certainly not ag land. It sounds like this guy got the raw deal and there is some 'selective' enforcement going on. I wonder is Grant went to UGA
    When my sister lived in Sandy Springs -- where the houses are older and it is unincorporated and the lots tend to be larger and some have septic tanks (which probably know but others here wouldn't ) -- a builder had a couple lots he wanted to subdivide into 5 smaller lots and build houses on them similar to what was already in the neighborhood. The local neighborhood association or whatever denied the request, so instead of building 5 homes worth around $200,000 each, he built two half-million dollar McMansions to get the money he wanted.

Yeah, that was such a brilliant move in "neighborhood preservation".

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I was in Dunwoody a couple of weeks ago. We even drove past this place on the way to dinner on night! My friend's husband commented on the UF colors. I didn't see the pigs though. He also told me that Sandy Springs had recently incorporated.
    ďAs soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fallĒ
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Michelle, Sandy Springs this year is becoming a municipality - FYI.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by teshadoh
    Michelle, Sandy Springs this year is becoming a municipality - FYI.
    Thanks. (Giff said the same thing.) My sister no longer lives there, so I have no reason (or handy means ) to keep current. Maybe I should visit the website and see if it says anything about the incorporation. My understanding is that it was something they talked about for many years and there had also been lots of talk of Atlanta simply annexing them -- which they did not want.

This guy is my new hero. Serves the NIMBYs right!
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Repo Man
    This guy is my new hero. Serves the NIMBYs right!
    Not sure of the sign laws there, but in most AG zones, a farmer is permited to identify the name of his farm on outbuildings, I therefore suggest that he call his farm NIMBY Acres.

Only question is about animal units and the required separations from houses and wells of outbuildings.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Thanks. (Giff said the same thing.) My sister no longer lives there, so I have no reason (or handy means ) to keep current. Maybe I should visit the website and see if it says anything about the incorporation. My understanding is that it was something they talked about for many years and there had also been lots of talk of Atlanta simply annexing them -- which they did not want.
    They voted in June & in December will become a city. What is interesting, & typical if you know the people there, is they are discussing becoming a fully privatized city.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I think the whole ordeal is kind of funny! The NIMBY folks do not realize that land will not be static forever and that their actions can sometimes have negative consequences. This is actually a common occurrence (well retribution from land use decision not making farms in suburban neighborhoods) in the Atlanta area. There is a strong "property rights" crowd down here that is not afraid to flex their muscles at times. I will also bet that the nice builder next-door with the $1M homes coming on-line is rethinking his earlier opposition.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    So, what happens next? At first I thought that it was great what he was doing, but now it has just turned into a neighborhood rivalry. Is he going to become a goat farmer now and keep the use until he moves or until his neighbors sell their property? I guess I look at things differently now that I have to do code inspections. I know that his neighbors are calling about potential noise and odor violations. What happens if they poison the animals and then call the humane society on the guy? Then what? It would be different if he was going to operate this as a farm for farm reasons, but it is obvious that he is not. Maybe he could turn this into a horse farm, and rent out barn space. It would create an income and not upset the neighbors.

Same thing happened in my hometown. A congregation that uses loud music moved into a vacant church next to a residential home. Well the homeowner called the city every Sunday morning when the music woke him up. Finally he painted parts of the house a shade of bright purple, and left the rest a beige. This was when I was in HS, and it is still the same.

This is nothing more than a neighbor dispute and I donít think that he is doing the right thing... but that is just my opinion.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2005

Talk about backfiring!

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    A congregation that uses loud music moved into a vacant church next to a residential home. Well the homeowner called the city every Sunday morning when the music woke him up. Finally he painted parts of the house a shade of bright purple, and left the rest a beige. This was when I was in HS, and it is still the same.
    Talk about backfiring -- I can imagine the church really wouldn't care about the guy having a purple house. Plus, they could use it to their advantage and really tick him off, ie: "Come visit the Random Church. You'll love our music. You can't miss us -- located right next to the bright purple house on Main Street, Downtown Random!!"
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Hey, this guy could get "Redneck Yard of the Week" on "The Blue Collar Comedy Show"
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RandomPlanner...
    Talk about backfiring -- I can imagine the church really wouldn't care about the guy having a purple house. Plus, they could use it to their advantage and really tick him off, ie: "Come visit the Random Church. You'll love our music. You can't miss us -- located right next to the bright purple house on Main Street, Downtown Random!!"
    yeah, really... he should painted a picture of Satan and Sadamm having sodomy sex (a la South Park) or something fun like that.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Dec 2003
    ...or he could have painted a large Darwin fish on the side of his house.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle
    ...or he could have painted a large Darwin fish on the side of his house.
    That would have stirred up the neighborhood!

Registered
    Jan 2005

Just greedy?

Basically a man bought a parcel of land in an affluent suburb with large minimum lot size requirements through agricultural zoning. Since the surrounding homeowners didn't want him putting two homes on the land as allowed by residential zoning, they got the county to reject his request to change the current agricultural zoning on the land. This is despite the fact that no one in that part of town is actually doing any farming on their land.

Was the rezoning hearing tied in with a development plan? If so, he shouldn't have been granted approval because he was exceeding density requirements outlined in the comprehensive plan. Perhaps if he wasn't so greedy and only wanted to build one house, he would have gotten the rezoning.
    Satan in the Suburbs

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 Aug 2005, 4:06 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 03 Jun 2005, 8:26 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 02 Jun 2005, 11:45 AM
  4. 25 Posts, But Unable to Add Avatar
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Apr 2005, 3:36 PM
  5. Is New Urbanism Just for the Affluent?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 52
    Last post: 02 Aug 2002, 2:30 PM