Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Another thread on Gas Prices, Natural Gas that is....

Registered
    Nov 2004

Another thread on Gas Prices, Natural Gas that is....

Seriously guys, just trying to get an idea of what natural gas bills tend to run. Our new house will have a few gas appliances but all I've ever had was electric, so I have no clue as to what natural gas costs.

These are the things we will have running on natural gas:

- furnace

- hot water heater

- stove

What should we be expecting for a monthly bill? Is it really cheaper than using electricity as some people say?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I think there are a few other factors such as how warm do you keep your home? What is the square footage of your home? New or older furnace? New or old windows? All of those things may vary the actual cost. My home is about 2200 square feet, two stories and newer windows and I have has winter gas bills that were $250.00 in the past 3 years. My furnace and hot water heater are gas, stove and everything else is electric.
    I will say that I kept my house pretty warm as I had a young baby. This year they are going to have to dress a little warmer in the house and I am covering the sliding doors and windows with plastic, there is NO need for gas bills like that.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Well, don't expect much cost for the stove. Cooking uses much less gas than the water heater or the furnace. Mine is usually around $17-20 per month.

I can't give you much direction for the furnace/heater, because I don't have any yet, but I'm sure the house owners here will be more help.

Also, the prices may be dependent on location (nationally).
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    To answer your questions:

- House is 1440 sq.ft.

- House and all appliances are brand new (closing later this month)

- House is built to Green Building standards and is well-insulated.

- We usually keep our indoor temp. around 65 degrees in the winter time. On most winter days in Austin, though, it's sufficient to just bundle up and leave the heater off entirely.

I think the main cost in gas will come from our hot water heater since we both like a nice, hot shower

Registered
    May 2002
    My gas is pro rated over the entire year, so I pay $128 per month. That is great in the winter, but sucks in the summer!
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Water heater cost are minimum. We have a 40 gal gas water heater, gas dryer, and gas heat. I can tell you that the water heater and dryer are the least of my worries. the heat on the other hand is another story. If you have a inline water heater your cost could be substantially less than the operating cost of a tank water heater. If with my 40 gallon tank all three of us can take showers one after another and we have yet to run out of hot water.

We have an older 2,400 square foot two-story home, with single-glazed windows and triple-track storm windows. There is some 5" of rock wool insulation in the attic, and R-19 attic and wall insulation in the remodeled kitchen but none elsewhere. The water heater (88% eff.), dryer and stove all are gas-fired and use minimal amounts. The furnace is 92% efficient. Our bills in the lower midwest are (on budget-billing) $165.00. This has trended up over the past 4-5 years from $88 month.

We tend to keep the furnace at 72F from when we get home to bedtime, then set back to 68F during the day.

I expect our bill will be adjusted again toward $230/250 if the prognosticators are correct.

Y'all could save some money if you replaced your hot water heaters with water heaters.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Y'all could save some money if you replaced your hot water heaters with water heaters.
    Bah! That's just what they call them here

We also don't use the word "furnace"... it's just known as a "heater"

Registered
    Jun 2005
    During the summer when I'm not paying for heat, my gas bill is about $20/month for water and cooking. If you're not going to be doing alot of heating then I would expect something close to that.

There are also differences in gas bills from region to region due to taxation and environmental issues. I would suspect that in Texas, though, these issues will be largely irrelevant.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In WI, with a 1100 square foot house built in 1885, with 1980's furnace and "hot" water heater, the monthly budget plan is $185. I suspect that will jump to $225 or more this year.

EDIT: This is for BOTH natural gas and electric, which come from one utility.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I've had winter gas bills in the $600-700 range, and the house isn't all that big, about 2,000 s.f, but that is for two apartments with 4-5 people bathing and washing clothes. My new German-made Buderus boiler & water tank is 89% efficient and gave me a roughly 25% bill reduction. This is in NJ, where we don't have very severe winters.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    If you lived in Chile... you'd be pretty much screwed, since we depend greatly of our lovely neighbor Argentina for Natural gas, and as of late they decide unilaterally to screw us up by either reducing the quota or simply cuting the supply, leaving lots of industries shut down.... I guess that's what we get for secretly supporting the UK back in 1982 about the Falklands...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. A Most Natural Hobby
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 64
    Last post: 03 Dec 2013, 1:53 PM
  2. Death By Natural Causes
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 06 Apr 2010, 5:57 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Jun 2008, 9:15 PM