Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Guess The City 268 (No Picture Edition # 25)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Guess The City 268 (No Picture Edition # 25)

Wake up, everybody! Time for another edition of Cyburbia's fun urban geek game, Guess The City! GTC, no picture provided.....

This city is a typical USA community, with a shrinking central city and a vibrant and growing suburban metro ring.

The railroads certainly influenced the growth of this city. So much, in fact, that when the city was laid out by Cyburbians of old, a wide swath through the center of town became a "reservation" for the railroads.

The city's current residents enjoy wide streets......deliberately wide to help evacuate heavy smoke from industrial behemoths.

Very interesting political history happened here.

And this city is.....

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003
    Is it the Labor Day holiday OR this is a bigger stump-the-band than I thought. Come on, people.

Because of the long weekend I will not throw out any more clues until Tuesday evening.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    My guesses:

New Orleans: has medians or nuetral zones in the middle of major roadways.

Detroit: Humongous Avenues and BLVDs (7 to 11 lanes wide in places) radiating from a central place.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    You really need to give more clues. This could be any Midwest city.

My guess is um...the obvious...Chicago.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    You really need to give more clues. This could be any Midwest city.

My guess is um...the obvious...Chicago.
    OK, since an established veteran of GTC Land is indicating that my original stack of clues was too short, I will not wait for Tuesday evening to throw some more in the pot.....

It is NOT a midwest city. Raw materials to make iron (iron ore, coal, limestone) were all in the general area. One (1) of the big historical events involved a jail.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    hmmm Philadelphia?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    It has to be in the south or west. I'd say Atlanta or Denver.

Philly doesn't have wide streets - and the city was planned (and built) well before the steam engine was invented.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    My guess is Birmingham, AL.

Registered
    May 2005
    I'll second Birmingham....

Bill

_________

“You are a smelly pirate hooker!”

- Ron Burgundy

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jresta
    Philly doesn't have wide streets - and the city was planned (and built) well before the steam engine was invented.
    Interesting, so the main streets were not widened for streetcars? They were always that wide? (Broad and Market)

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dromulus
    My guess is Birmingham, AL.
    Well, well......a first post is also the first correct answer to this version of GTC. Yes indeed, Birmingham, Alabama, USA.

Congrats to dromulus.

Some info.....Birmingham was settled because of railroad promoters. Those raw materials led to some big steel plants. Planners wanted the prevailing winds to get the heavy smoke out of the city proper so they built big wide streets. The railroad ROW in the central city was actually called The Central Reservation.

Birmingham itself is less than 300,000 population, but the metro is over 1,000,000. The metro has been growing.

Martin Luther King, Jr. was jailed here and wrote some famous letters from that lock-up.

Thanx for playing.

(Note to "crackers": See......this Bear can do a GTC that is not obscure and not located in the midwest or upper Great Lakes. )

(What's a "cracker"?)

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Interesting, so the main streets were not widened for streetcars? They were always that wide? (Broad and Market)
    Broad and Market were planned by Penn to be that wide. Most of the Avenues are 2-5 lanes wide but they are few and far between.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 21 Sep 2005, 12:09 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 19 Sep 2005, 4:04 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 31 Aug 2005, 3:33 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 07 Aug 2005, 10:13 PM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last post: 12 Jul 2005, 9:58 AM