Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 2-Story outhouse - Gays, Illinois

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005

2-Story outhouse - Gays, Illinois

Gays, Illinois, a town of 250 just west of Mattoon, has a two-story outhouse. It used to be connected to a building with a general store on bottom and an inn on top.

The 1869 building was razed in 1984, but the outhouse was saved and now serves as a tourist attraction in a small park. The outhouse was added in1872.

The top hole is offset so it drops behind the bottom stall. The icky is hidden by a false wall.

Sorry for the poor quality.
    The pics were taken through glass. These old newspaper clippings show the outhouse before the building was razed.

One for the guys and one for the gals.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Wow! Now that is some preservation!!
    There is an old outhouse on Main Street here in my City and recently the owner wanted to remove it (it looks like a small one-story frame shed) and the residents cried that it was the oldest outhouse in the city (its since been called many other things). The owner then tried to enlarge it and put a bar on the outside wall for the patio dining that is right in front of it. The Board would have nothing to do with that, so now it sits and is beginning to deteriorate even more. No such luck fo us to put a pretty fence around it or do anything with it. Its going to fall over in the next 5 years, I am sure of it.
    Will that structure just stand there as an attraction or are there other historic buildings surrounding it, now that the primary structures have been removed?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Will that structure just stand there as an attraction or are there other historic buildings surrounding it, now that the primary structures have been removed?
    That's pretty much it for Gays. Population 250. The town is on the former Terre Haute and Alton Railroad which Conrail closed and removed the tracks in 1983. Nothing there now but a grain elevator and the outhouse and a few houses.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Is that the original location?? At least its on a corner and makes a nice looking tourist stop....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Is that the original location?? At least its on a corner and makes a nice looking tourist stop....
    This site says it was moved. But I don't think it was. It lines up with the back of buildings on the street (what's left of them) like the old pictures show.

It would probably attract more people if it was operational

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for that link, I had NO idea there was an"Outhouses of America"...that makes me laugh...then again it may turn out to be a great source for me at some point, especially with the structure I was referencing in my previous post...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    An outhouse with an address?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    An outhouse with an address?
    It even has a mailbox

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Zman Are You Getting This??

ZMAN:

YOU'VE Gotta get this to Dr. Collins for his next book/paper on the history of the stand alone S#&%er You must accept this mission, I'm to far away to deliver this one.....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from Illinois!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 24 Jun 2011, 9:07 PM
  2. Hello from Illinois
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 Dec 2010, 9:46 AM
  3. new from Illinois