Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Regional Dominance

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Memphis is a weeeeeird baseball town. There are connections to the Cardinals, Braves, Cubs, Royals, Mets and even the Expos. So here's how it works out:

Baseball fandom is pretty much split three ways in Memphis between the three teams in closest proximity, the Cardinals, Cubs, and Braves. Cable TV has allowed the Braves and Cubs (due to Fox Sports South, TBS, and WGN) to attain some dominance, while the highly successful Memphis Redbirds AAA minor-league franchise, an affiliate of the Cardinals since 1997, has definitely increased the number of Cards supporters in the area. The situation is slightly complicated by the fact that the former owner of the Royals, Avron B. Fogelman, is a Memphian, and the previous incarnations of Memphis' minor-league team have been affiliated with the Mets, Expos, and Royals.

But basketball is far more important in Memphis anyway. The Grizzlies have certainly made their mark there, and University of Memphis (formerly Memphis State) Tigers basketball is still the city's second religion.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by drucee
    Cable TV has allowed the Braves and Cubs (due to Fox Sports South, TBS, and WGN) to attain some dominance...
    You are right about that. Talk about regional dominance, the Cubs and Cardinals have been the dominant baseball teams for mid-America for 80+ years because of KMOX and WGN radio, and later cable TV. I'd guess the Cubs and Cards are the favorite teams of most people between Indiana and Nebraska, and from Iowa to Arkansas.

As a White Sox fan, this always ticked me off because the Sox have never been able to expand their fan base in the same way.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    As a White Sox fan, this always ticked me off because the Sox have never been able to expand their fan base in the same way.
    Back in the late 1950's, my dad was in Chicago on business and watched a couple White Sox games (at the olde Comiskey Park). He brought me back a White Sox yearbook (they were very good back then) and I loved it.

I was already a Detroit Tiger fan but I really struggled with my allegiance because as a young boy I was excited by some of the White Sox players, their stadium, the city, etc. And when we visited Chicago we always got a peek at Comiskey, because of its' location. You had to look harder to find Wrigley Field.
    _____

A young man who works for me is originally from the area near the Museum of Science & Industry. He is a huge White Sox fan and a huge Chicago Bulls fan. We always have spirited discussions.

You don't find many White Sox fans in NW Ohio. They are all Cleveland, Detroit, Cincinnati, or Yankee fans.

I hate the Yankees.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    You are right about that. Talk about regional dominance, the Cubs and Cardinals have been the dominant baseball teams for mid-America for 80+ years because of KMOX and WGN radio, and later cable TV. I'd guess the Cubs and Cards are the favorite teams of most people between Indiana and Nebraska, and from Iowa to Arkansas.

KC Royals take a big part of that Iowa too Arkansas trip IMHO. Arkansas may sway Texas Rangers way, too.

Bill

I'm not a baby, I'm a MAN, I am an ANCHORMAN!

- Ron Burgundy

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I grew up in eastern Iowa and it is all Cubs and some White Sox.

Quote Originally posted by ICT/316
    KC Royals take a big part of that Iowa too Arkansas trip IMHO. Arkansas may sway Texas Rangers way, too.

Bill

I'm not a baby, I'm a MAN, I am an ANCHORMAN!

- Ron Burgundy

Registered
    Mar 2005
    STATE-BY-STATE NFL ANALYSIS...

ALABAMA:
    Alabama can be divided up into three parts. The Huntsville area, as well as most of the northern third of the state, gravitate toward the Tennessee Titans. Birmingham and Montgomery favor the Atlanta Falcons. Everything south of Birmingham and west of Montgomery, including the Mobile area, tend toward the New Orleans Saints.

ALASKA:
    Most people in Alaska generally support either the Seattle Seahawks or the San Francisco 49ers.

ARIZONA:
    The Arizona Cardinals don't even dominate their own state. There seems to be a three-way tie between the Cardinals, the Dallas Cowboys and the San Francisco 49ers. Small followings of the Denver Broncos and Oakland Raiders exist too.

ARKANSAS:
    Give the southern half of Arkansas to the Dallas Cowboys, and divide the northern half into western and eastern sides. The western side goes to the Kansas City Chiefs, while the eastern side goes to the St. Louis Rams. Small followings of the Tennessee Titans and New Orleans Saints can be found near the Mississippi River.

CALIFORNIA:
    Greater Los Angeles supports the Oakland Raiders, with the St. Louis Rams being a large minority, and the San Diego Chargers being a smaller minority. San Diego is clearly for the Chargers. North of the San Gabriel mountains is pretty much San Francisco 49ers territory, aside from the East Bay, which prefers the Oakland Raiders. Widely scattered allegiances to the Dallas Cowboys and Pittsburgh Steelers can also be found.

COLORADO:
    Denver Broncos all the way.

CONNECTICUT:
    Western Connecticut is New York Giants territory, with New York Jets fans being a large minority. Eastern Connecitcut is the domain of the New England Patriots.

DELAWARE:
    The northern half of Delaware goes to the Philadelphia Eagles. The southern half of Delaware goes to the Washington Redskins.

FLORIDA:
    The Pensacola area, as well as the extreme western panhandle, prefers the New Orleans Saints. Jacksonville Jaguars territory stretches from Tallahassee east to Jacksonville, and then south to Daytona Beach. Tampa-St. Petersburg and Orlando are the domain of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Everything south of Sarasota on the Gulf coast, and Cape Canaveral on the Atlantic coast, is Miami Dolphins country. New York Jets and Pittsburgh Steelers followings make up sizeable minorities throughout the state, with New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles and New England Patriots followings making up smaller minorities.

GEORGIA:
    Almost the entire state belongs to the Atlanta Falcons; however, the Savannah area, and coastal Georgia in general, prefer the Jacksonville Jaguars. Small followings of the Tennessee Titans exist in extreme northwestern Georgia, and small followings of the Carolina Panthers exist in extreme northeastern Georgia.

HAWAII:
    San Francisco 49ers all the way.

IDAHO:
    Give the panhandle area to the Seattle Seahawks, and the rest of the state to the Denver Broncos.

ILLINOIS:
    The northern half of the state belongs to the Chicago Bears, although a small following of the Green Bay Packers exists in extreme northern Illinois away from the Chicago area. From the Springfield area southward, the St. Louis Rams prevail. East-central Illinois, including the Champaign-Urbana area, tends toward the Indianapolis Colts.

INDIANA:
    Almost exclusively Indianapolis Colts country, save for the extreme northwestern and southeastern parts of the state, which prefer the Chicago Bears and Cincinnati Bengals, respectively.

IOWA:
    Give southwestern Iowa to the Kansas City Chiefs. The Dubuque area belongs to the Green Bay Packers, and the Quad Cities area belongs to the Chicago Bears. The rest of the state prefers the Minnesota Vikings.

KANSAS:
    Cut Kansas in half longitudinally. The eastern half is the domain of the Kansas City Chiefs, while the western half goes to the Denver Broncos. A small following of the Dallas Cowboys exists in the southern parts of the state.

KENTUCKY:
    Western Kentucky is split evenly between the St. Louis Rams and the Tennessee Titans. South-central Kentucky belongs to the Tennessee Titans. North-central Kentucky can be divided into two parts, with the Louisville area supporting the Indianapolis Colts, and the rest belonging to the Cincinnati Bengals. Eastern Kentucky gravitates toward the Pittsburgh Steelers.

LOUISIANA:
    Almost entirely the domain of the New Orleans Saints, although a Dallas Cowboys following makes for a sizeable minority in the northern part of the state.

MAINE:
    New England Patriots all the way.

MARYLAND:
    Northeastern Maryland is Baltimore Ravens territory. Central Maryland, as well as the Delmarva region, prefer the Washington Redskins. Western Maryland is Pittsburgh Steelers country.

MASSACHUSETTS:
    See Maine.

MICHIGAN:
    Detroit Lions all the way.

MINNESOTA:
    The domain of the Minnesota Vikings, although the Green Bay Packers do have a minority presence in the southeastern part of the state.

MISSISSIPPI:
    Cut Mississippi in half latitudinally. Give the southern half to the New Orleans Saints, and the northern half to the Tennessee Titans.

MISSOURI:
    Western Missouri is the domain of the Kansas City Chiefs, while eastern Missouri is the domain of the St. Louis Rams. The Columbia-Jefferson City area is a region divided, with allegiances split evenly between both teams.

MONTANA:
    Denver Broncos all the way.

NEBRASKA:
    Anywhere from Grand Island east tends toward the Kansas City Chiefs. The high plains to the west belong to the Denver Broncos. A small Minnesota Vikings following exists in northeastern Nebraska.

NEVADA:
    Nevada belongs to the San Francisco 49ers, although the Oakland Raiders following is a sizeable minority.

NEW HAMPSHIRE:
    See Massachusetts.

NEW JERSEY:
    The northern half of New Jersey is New York Giants country, with a sizeable minority following the New York Jets. The southern half of New Jersey goes to the Philadelphia Eagles.

NEW MEXICO:
    Give the northern half to the Denver Broncos and the southern half to the Dallas Cowboys.

NEW YORK:
    The western end of New York belongs to the Buffalo Bills. The rest of the state belongs to the New York Giants and New York Jets, with the Giants holding a majority in the eastern upstate, and the Jets holding a majority on Long Island.

NORTH CAROLINA:
    Most of North Carolina belongs to the Carolina Panthers, although the Washington Redskins following is still sizeable in the northern part of the state.

NORTH DAKOTA:
    Minnesota Vikings all the way.

OHIO:
    The southern and western portions of Ohio gravitate toward the Cincinnati Bengals, while the northern and eastern portions gravitate toward the Cleveland Browns. The Columbus area is a region divided, with allegiances split evenly between both teams.

OKLAHOMA:
    Most of Oklahoma is the domain of the Dallas Cowboys, although a Denver Broncos following can be found in the panhandle, and a Kansas City Chiefs following can be found in extreme northeastern Oklahoma.

OREGON:
    Mainly Seattle Seahawks territory, though areas adjacent to California tend toward the San Francisco 49ers.

PENNSYLVANIA:
    The western half of Pennsylvania is the domain of the Pittsburgh Steelers, although there is a sizeable Cleveland Browns minority in the Erie area, as well as a smaller Buffalo Bills following. The eastern half of Pennsylvania is the domain of the Philadelphia Eagles, although the Harrisburg-York-Lancaster area has a sizeable Washington Redskins minority, as well as a smaller Baltimore Ravens following; and the Poconos have a sizeable New York Giants minority.

RHODE ISLAND:
    See New Hampshire.

SOUTH CAROLINA:
    Carolina Panthers all the way.

SOUTH DAKOTA:
    See North Dakota.

TENNESSEE:
    The whole state belongs to the Tennessee Titans, although there is a small Pittsburgh Steelers following in the Knoxville area and extreme northeastern Tennessee.

TEXAS:
    Aside from the Houston area, which prefers the Houston Texans, Texas is the domain of the Dallas Cowboys.

UTAH:
    San Francisco 49ers all the way.

VERMONT:
    See Rhode Island.

VIRGINIA:
    The whole state belongs to the Washington Redskins, although there is a small Pittsburgh Steelers following in extreme western Virginia.

WASHINGTON:
    Seattle Seahawks all the way.

WEST VIRGINIA:
    Most of West Virginia belongs to the Pittsburgh Steelers, although extreme western West Virginia goes to the Cincinnati Bengals, and extreme eastern West Virginia goes to the Washington Redskins.

WISCONSIN:
    Green Bay Packers all the way.

WYOMING:
    See Montana.
    Last edited by DBR96; 01 Nov 2005 at 10:08 PM.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by DBR96
    STATE-BY-STATE NFL ANALYSIS...
    ......FLORIDA:
    The Pensacola area, as well as the extreme western panhandle, prefers the New Orleans Saints. ....
    With one exception....49er fan here. Hey, they beat those Bucs last weekend without even scoring a TD.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    When I was in Northern Utah in the late 70's - it was the Crush of Denver.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    DBR96.....An excellent state-by-state analysis of NFL fans. Nice work. We should try to talk AmputeeCat into producing a colorful map.

I have some personal knowledge of two (2) states that you might change your analysis on.....

OHIO
    Here in NW Ohio the fans of Cleveland and Detroit are about 40-40. There are some Cincinnati fans, some Pittsburgh fans, some Dallas fans.

MICHIGAN
    In the western portion of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, those counties bordering and near Wisconsin, there are a lot of Green Bay fans. Also a smattering of Minnesota fans. As you work your way east in the Yoopee you mopve back into Detroit Lion territory.

Bear (Steeler Fan In NW Ohio)
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    DBR96.....An excellent state-by-state analysis of NFL fans. Nice work. We should try to talk AmputeeCat into producing a colorful map.

I have some personal knowledge of two (2) states that you might change your analysis on.....

OHIO
    Here in NW Ohio the fans of Cleveland and Detroit are about 40-40. There are some Cincinnati fans, some Pittsburgh fans, some Dallas fans.

MICHIGAN
    In the western portion of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, those counties bordering and near Wisconsin, there are a lot of Green Bay fans. Also a smattering of Minnesota fans. As you work your way east in the Yoopee you mopve back into Detroit Lion territory.

Bear (Steeler Fan In NW Ohio)

I have to support the Bear on this one. As a former recovering Lion's season ticket holder you would see a great deal of Ohio plates at the stadium. Green bay is really not that far from the West Side of the U.P. Not much difference between the cheeseheads and da yoopers at that point.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DBR96
    GEORGIA:
    Almost the entire state belongs to the Atlanta Falcons; however, the Savannah area, and coastal Georgia in general, prefer the Jacksonville Jaguars. Small followings of the Tennessee Titans exist in extreme northwestern Georgia, and small followings of the Carolina Panthers exist in extreme northeastern Georgia.
    To slightly amend your Georgia analysis - the Maimi Dolphins have a small following in south Georgia, although that has been steadily eroding since the late 1970s. It also seems like the NFL, with its "regional" broadcasts, is trying to cram the Jags down the throats of the folks in the southern part of the state. My old man (a Falcons fan since their inception), who still lives right in the middle of south Georgia, had been complaining bitterly over the last couple of seasons about broadcasts of Jaguar games replacing the Falcons games on a weekly basis.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

bill belicek is a god

new england, baby!

i like any team that beats the uh, choke-choke, yankees

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I recently ran across a website that's trying to track this very phenomenon.

http://commoncensus.org It has maps for the cities people perceive themselves a part of, as well as maps for all 4 major sports leagues . Pretty cool!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by masafer
    I recently ran across a website that's trying to track this very phenomenon.

http://commoncensus.org It has maps for the cities people perceive themselves a part of, as well as maps for all 4 major sports leagues . Pretty cool!
    I was just about to post a link to that site but I see you beat me to it. I see Buffalo prefers the Toronto teams for baseball and basketball, but I've never really noted any strong allegiance to either, although people may have just said that because its the closest and they may occaisonaly attend a game.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Ahh, who needs ya, anyways!

I guess I only know of one fan in SLC, and he grew up in Denver with me.
    utah being niner territory is news to me also. i was born in san francisco but grew up in salt lake city. i was wearing a niners sweatshirt when two older kids picked on me because they were bronco fans.

the whole niner conversion must have happened after i left slc.

Syracuse

Being a PA transplant in Upstate NY I love the Eagles. With Donovan McNabb as quarterback it seems that many people in Syracuse root for them because he attended Syracuse University. Common to see Eagles gear at the malls.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by xtrapedestrial
    utah being niner territory is news to me also. i was born in san francisco but grew up in salt lake city. i was wearing a niners sweatshirt when two older kids picked on me because they were bronco fans.

the whole niner conversion must have happened after i left slc.
    There are many links to the 49ers. Holmgren (and i think Walsh) were both coaches at BYU. Steve Young went to BYU. Several other players and coaches also have ties to both. Alex Smith is the latest link between UT and the 49ers.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    There are a lot of Packers and Bears fans in eastern Nebraska as well. My siblings and I grew up as Bears fans at first.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Rochester, NY is for the majority Buffalo Bills fans (75%), but there is a huge Miami Dolphins contingent. Also big in Rochester are the Giants, Jets, Browns, and Cowboys.

The Northern and NW Chicago Burbs have quite a few Green Bay Packer fans. I was surprised to see it. I've also seen a few Miami and Raider fans out here as well. But Da Bears obviously dominate this city. Not many cities have landmarks for where there star running back ran up and down hills for practice(Nickel Knoll Park in Arlington Heights, IL).

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983
    I was just about to post a link to that site but I see you beat me to it. I see Buffalo prefers the Toronto teams for baseball and basketball, but I've never really noted any strong allegiance to either, although people may have just said that because its the closest and they may occaisonaly attend a game.
    Anyone who has spent any amount of time in Buffalo during baseball season knows its a majority NY Yankees area with the Cleveland Indians, NY Mets, Toronto Blue Jays, and Pittsburgh Pirates having smaller followings.

Registered
    Aug 2005

McNabb, ha! another choke!

Quote Originally posted by upstateplanner
    Being a PA transplant in Upstate NY I love the Eagles. With Donovan McNabb as quarterback it seems that many people in Syracuse root for them because he attended Syracuse University. Common to see Eagles gear at the malls.
    I grew up in Syracuse - when I was a kid, people seemed to be Giants, Bills, or Steelers fans -

but really, as a family, it was all about SU football and basketball, everyone had tickets, it was what you did

I never got into the NFL until I moved to Boston in 86 and immediately started following the Patriot's, even though they sucked at the time, it was so cool to me to then live in a professional sports town - I turned inside out at my first Celtics game, that's when they didn't suck

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by UpstateNYRox
    Anyone who has spent any amount of time in Buffalo during baseball season knows its a majority NY Yankees area with the Cleveland Indians, NY Mets, Toronto Blue Jays, and Pittsburgh Pirates having smaller followings.
    same in Syracuse, but more Toronto because the Chiefs used to be the farm team for Toronto, not sure if that's the same now

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Regional transit
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 Apr 2010, 10:31 PM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last post: 08 Mar 2010, 4:55 PM
  3. Regional planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12