Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Your Ancestors From Long Ago & Far Away

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My family were very early immigrants to the US (1600s, not far behind the Mayflower). They were also early settlers in Texas shortly after the Texas war for independence from Mexico. Prior to that everyone was in the British Isles. Mother's family was decended of Scotish nobility--don't get excited though because they were kind of the black sheep of that clan based on what we've read. My father's side of the family were blacksmiths in the eastern portion of England near Cambridge.

My mom is big into geneology and has portions of the family back 14 generations. I'm kind of like jordanB once it gets past generation 7 or 8. It's still fun to know some family history though.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    My lineage is traced to the second crossing of the mayflower, a famous battle in boston was fought on my forefather's land. Other lines came in from Ireland later. Both of these sides were early settlers of the Michigan Territories, one around SW Michigan, and settled the towns/hamlets of Macellus, Breedsville and Three Rivers, the other Settled Flint/Fenton area. Grandpa's family eventually owned a store somewhere in flint, then moved to Detroit to work in the Building (local term for the GM Building) somewhere along the way grandpa went to study theological music at the Catholic Univeristy of America. Grandma was raised by spinster aunts in Fenton, then went to Michigan Normal College (now eastern) to become a teacher. They married in Flint had their first home in Royal Oak michigan, then moved to Detroit.

My dad's side were recent immigrants from Poland/Germany. They go back to the turn of the century. We recently sold the family farm on (sometimes in) the Saginaw Bay which was used by the family for subsitance agriculture in the years that the economy was not doing so well and that factory jobs in Detroit were not so pletiful. One of my polish grandfathers was a big time drunk. He left his family (wife and kids) in Poland to settle in Brooklyn but ended up in Detroit. He was at a corner bar one night getting hammered and in walks his wife with his kids. Great grandma was brandishing a rolling pin and beat the paczki out of him.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    On my mother's side, we came over on the Mayflower (according the geneology research the family hired in the 1900s). Other than that, I want to research more about the history of that side, them having lived in the South since and prior to the Civil War. I may have some Confederate Civil War history in me.

As for my Father's side, my grandparents immigrated to South Bend, IN from Hungary in 1949. Upon researching the sites that have been offered on this thread, there is a current organization of Hungarian immigrant history for South Bend and St. Joseph County, including a breif summary of the Hungarian history there. Pretty neat, I may have to contribute and research that too, asking my Grandfather and Father about stuff. They even had photos and a website to their old catholic church and my Dad's old school out of that said church. I thought that was pretty neat!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    On my mother's side, we came over on the Mayflower (according the geneology research the family hired in the 1900s).
    Zman... we could be family!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005

Ellis Island

http://www.ellisisland.org/

This is another valuable website. They have everyone who went through Ellis Island. I have found ancestors on my wife's side here. You can even get copies of ship manifests with the actual signatures of the imigrants.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Zman... we could be family!
    We could! I may have to dig out the book we did on that side of the family. Or at least have my mom bring it up from their house in Denver.

We should have a reunion. For some strange reason, I have always wanted to visit Detroit. That would be wild if we are family. (I wonder what my virtual brother Burb Fixer would have to say, his family only followed the Mayflower).
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    my Mayflower family name was Breed. Battle of Bunker Hill was fought at Breeds Hill.

Detroits a big giant industrial town, lots of stuff here you don't have anywhere else. For example, my office window is about 1/2 mile north of the canadian border!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    My mother's side of the family is traced back to Irish and Czech immigrants (my great great grandmother on that side was pure Czech and didn't even speak english).

My father's side is half Irish, the other half being from the cajuns of Louisiana. My grandmother was cajun and it was hard to trace her ancestors. All we know is that her father's side came from Mexico and her mother's side was decended from the creoles of Louisiana. A big mix of races and cultures for the most part.

As for me, I'm mostly Irish (double dose from both sides of the family) with that screwy dose of cajun thrown in the mix

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Several years ago I visited the Smithsonian in DC and saw an exhibit on 18th century plantation life in Virginia. The plantation owner had the same last name as me, and had a couple of traits that are very uncharacteristic in African Americans, but semi-persistent in my family -- red hair, green eyes and freckles (I have the green eyes).

Anyway, the exhibit ends with a story on how the owner killed his wife after an argument. She was fed up with his dalliances with the slaves and confronted him, and he killed her. He was sent to prison, and his property, slaves included, was auctioned off, mostly to plantations in South Carolina. This is where it got interesting, because my family's from South Carolina.

With help from the Smithsonian, we were able to determine that the plantation owner is my great-great-great-great grandfather on my father's side. We also found out that his family is one of the original settlers of Maryland, from the early 1700s, and they came to the USA from northern Ireland. As far as the African American part of the family, I can't find any record of them beyond the plantation they lived on in South Carolina.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    My Mom's side of the family has been in Nebraska since before Reconstruction if not the Civil War. My great-grandfather lived in Custer County, NE up until the early part of the 20th century when he moved to Omaha in the 20s. He became on of the first black firemen in Omaha and was stationed at a firehouse on Lake Street across the street from his house. Know one really knows how old my great-grandparents were since they lied about their age upon arriving in Omaha to get jobs. According to the state of Nebraska my great-grandfather was born in 1898 and my great-grandmother was born in MS by way of St. Louis in 1900.
    BTW: My great-grandfather's family has a brief profile in a book called The Black West by William Loren Katz. We also have our own section of The Great Plains Black Museum in Omaha.

My dad's family is from Evansville, IN the moved to Indy as a kid, then moved to Omaha as a teenager.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Like Boiker, my family is suspicious that our name was Americanized when my ansectors came from the Ukraine but no one has any proof. The Ellis Island website didn't offer any clues. It doesn't help that my last name is a variant of a popular Irish name so all the Ellis Island records are of Irish people. As Ukrainian Jews in the beginning of the 1900's I'm not sure if they were persecuted until they left, or if they were just searching for better opportunities. I also don't know what kind of work they did other than my great grandfather who came from Poland and started a window cleaning business that my grandfather still runs.

Of course I imagine my ansectors telling contractors in 19th century Kiev that violating the maximum FAR will result in public beheading.

Registered
    Mar 2004

well.....

While at my family reunion last year, my wife found out that she was related to Nathaniel Brown Palmer (Discovered Antarctica) How cool is that.....Her family first came to America in 1676 !! (Stonington, Connecticut) One of the coolest towns in all of North America
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2005
    This line of Chukkys hail from Poland/Germany (nice little area that changes sides of the border every hundred years or so) via South Africa. Or on the other side I'm third-generation inner-west middle-class Brisbane. But...looks like I'm moving across the river soon! First Chukky on the southside! If my grandmother was still alive she'd probably disown me.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie View post
    My maternal lineage descended from John the Shrubber.
    interesting! A long line of shrubbers, i suppose?
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    My dad's family is originally from Brno (Czech), via Trieste, then Milan. fabric mercahnts, I think. Originally Jews but it didn’t stick against Catholic Italian Mammas. Just in time to not be wiped out by our German friends from north of the Alps. Mom's family have been in Milan since the 1600s (parish records) but probably as early as 1300s. I grew up in Italy and the US. My wife's half Spanish Barcelona) and British (Merseyside). The kids WILL be confused.
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Well i come from Polish and England/Scottish/Irish heritage. Although both parents were born in Oz, we definetley have a polishness about us, well us kids and dad.
    Have no idea whereabouts in Poland they came from, all i knows is that they are amber jewelers. My nan and uncle did family trees for each side of the family- but alas we are boring really.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Well, 3 out of my 4 grandparents have German last names... And One Spanish one (Typical Chilean here, huh?) Though I can't say I know much about where they were from... My paternal side (both Germans) both come from Western Germany... Too damn close to the French.. so I guess that's why they came here...

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. How long is too long at an internship?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 06 Apr 2013, 8:27 PM
  2. Sorry this took so long
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 22 Jun 2009, 3:23 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 29 Jun 2007, 10:53 AM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last post: 25 Aug 2006, 9:22 PM
  5. How long have you been on line