Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dynamics of trip attraction?

Registered
    May 1997

Dynamics of trip attraction?

What does anyone know about how the number of trips generated/attracted to a commercial area changes as development proceeds. The scenario is this: a new retail center has begun to fill in, there is a Wal-Mart, Home Despot, Best Buy, Circuit City, a major grocer, Linens'n'Thing, etc., etc.

Is there a point at which adding new uses does not add traffic. or at least as much traffic as if each use were considered independently, because the customers are already there? This question applies both to the addition of relatively small uses - like say a new restaurant or a new card shop - and to the possible addition of another major retailer, like an REI or LL Bean.

Any thoughts from the transportation planning gurus will be appreciated.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I wouldn't say there comes a point when an additional use would generate no net increase in traffic, but there would definitely be a measureable decrease in trip generation per square metre of development.

There is some literature out there (mainly through ITE) regarding "trip synergy" in these types of development. I think it is generally around 20-30% - but can really depend on local conditions (e.g. is this the only such development in town?). There can also be a significant "pass-by" trip rate (cars that are already travelling on adjacent roadways which are attracted to the new development) for the more convenience-oriented uses.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    Home Despot.
    Tee hee hee. Home Despot. A freudian slip, perhaps
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    What does anyone know about how the number of trips generated/attracted to a commercial area changes as development proceeds. The scenario is this: a new retail center has begun to fill in, there is a Wal-Mart, Home Despot, Best Buy, Circuit City, a major grocer, Linens'n'Thing, etc., etc.

Is there a point at which adding new uses does not add traffic. or at least as much traffic as if each use were considered independently, because the customers are already there? This question applies both to the addition of relatively small uses - like say a new restaurant or a new card shop - and to the possible addition of another major retailer, like an REI or LL Bean.

Any thoughts from the transportation planning gurus will be appreciated.

I haven't heard of anyone ever saying that a new development won't generate any new traffic. Many times the impact study will say that XX% of the trips to the site will be from traffic already in the area (pass-by traffic). If the new uses are something that people don't go out of their way to get to then the new trips can be relatively small compared to overall traffic volumes. In the case of the new use I think you need to look at the uniqueness of it in the area. Is it a new restraunt that is unlike anything else nearby? or is it an Outback Steakhouse going in near three other chain restraunts?

We had a proposal down here come in a couple of years ago that included a Target store, a Lowes, and a super-supermarket. At the time they would have been the only Target and Lowes within an hour drive and certainly would have been a destination shopping location for the area. They tried to claim something along the lines of 30% passby traffic (people already using the road) which I thought was pretty high. The development has been stuck in court for a variety of reasons and in that time 2 Lowes have opened up in the area making that store at least much less of a destination.

hope that helps.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Tracking/permitting/management MS Dynamics
    Information Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Dec 2012, 10:53 PM
  2. Another Afraid of Heights Attraction
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Jun 2012, 6:40 PM
  3. Meeting Dynamics