I am translating from French the Official Plan of a rural municipality located midway between Montreal and Ottawa and need help for a concept that I think is common in U.S. and anglophone Canada planning, although expressed differently.

The concept has to do with a particular land use helping to improve a district. In French the term used is structure. But I don’t think in English one would say that the “goal of the spatial organization proposed in the Plan is to structure the area” nor would one identify commercial buildings with more than 5,000 sq.m. as being structuring, while smaller stores are non-structuring, with only non-structuring commercial allowed in a residential district.

So what term would you use in English instead of structuring and non-structuring?

URLs showing the term being used would be greatly appreciated.