Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Southeast US grad programs

Registered
    Sep 2005

Southeast US grad programs

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knows some of the better MURP programs in the southeast.
    I saw that Florida State may have a decent program but I was wondering if there were any in a more Urban setting.

Thanks,
    Bill

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    It was very theory based when I went there (for one semester). Check out UNC-Chapel Hill, international reputation.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    I think you meant for this to go into the Student Lounge, with the other threads discussing academic programs. I"ll move it there for you.

Registered
    Sep 2005

FAU is in urban area

Florida Atlantic is in Fort Lauderdale, a stones throw from Miami. But Florida States a lot more fun.

     
    Registered
    Jul 2005

Disposition

I concur with Flying Monkeys. FAU, located in Boca between Palm Beach and Ft.Lauderdale would qualify as one of the most urbanized locations for a planning program. However, nothing can replicate the experience of transforming into a FSU Durpie armed with tools and concepts ranging from Economic Development and Land Use design to Travel Demand Forecasting

     
    Registered
    Sep 2005

SE Grad Programs

Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) has an excellent program). I am not a graduate but know a lot of people who are and they are really good planners. Betsy Stark

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Ishmael
    I concur with Flying Monkeys. FAU, located in Boca between Palm Beach and Ft.Lauderdale would qualify as one of the most urbanized locations for a planning program. However, nothing can replicate the experience of transforming into a FSU Durpie armed with tools and concepts ranging from Economic Development and Land Use design to Travel Demand Forecasting
    The Urban Planning Department at FSU teaches undergrad at the Davie campus, west of Ft. Lauderdale, and teaches the Masters program at the downtown Ft. Lauderdale campus off of Las Olas Blvd. Very urban, very chic, very beachy...

Registered
    Feb 2003
    FSU's program is very good. Georgia Tech has a pretty good program too. I agree with the Ish. FSU's program is the best in the state. Plus, Tallahassee is not a bad place to study.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005

I'm in Tally now, so

I can speak first hand about FSU. Although it is a policy driven program, you do have the oppoprtunity to do a lot of hands-on stuff. Because it's in a state capital, there's lots of oppurtunities for internships and employment while in school. Also, the program has recently added two certification programs in Urban Design and Real Estate. The program itself is very closeknit, with a good alumni network in state, which is important come graduation time (As I am noticing right now). Finally, Tally is a good college town (2 major universities and a large community college) with a diversity of entertainment, shopping, and cultural options, although if you are from a big big city you might feel isolated. Still, the campus itself is in a pretty urban setting (6 blocks from the state capital,constrained by development on all sides, ghetto neighborhood adjacent to campus to the north). If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Georgia Tech's pretty good.

I'd root for Georgia tech. Though I've not seen many students from the other programs, I do think the program at Georgia Tech is very rigorous and well integrated with the profession.

Being in Atlanta is the best for an aspiring planner because of its tremendous pace of growth. There is also a lot of opportunity for internships and jobs/Coops. I know a student who's done architecture in Florida State and he's pretty good so I guess the program there must be good. But I do hear a lot of good things about UNC chapel hill. you might want to check that out too.

Let me know if you have questions about Georgia Tech. i am currently doing a master's at the planning program there.

Don't forget UT-Austin.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    Plus, Tallahassee is not a bad place to study.
    It is a great place (but you know that) and the capital, I must add... this is where state policy gets made.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Flying Monkeys
    The Urban Planning Department at FSU teaches undergrad at the Davie campus, west of Ft. Lauderdale, and teaches the Masters program at the downtown Ft. Lauderdale campus off of Las Olas Blvd. Very urban, very chic, very beachy...
    Correction: the above should read 'Department at FAU teaches'. Sorry.

Also, Tallahassee is a great place... and if you don't like it, just move when your done with the program, like everyone else.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 27 Mar 2013, 11:45 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 18 Sep 2012, 1:30 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 09 Nov 2011, 10:06 AM
  4. Format of grad programs
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Apr 2008, 2:30 PM