Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Movie Recommendations....

Registered
    Oct 2000

Movie Recommendations....

So we went to see Big Fat Greek Wedding this weekend and loved it - especially since we'd just been to a real greek wedding two weekends before and the movie totally rang true! the real one had 12 bridesmaids, church looked exactly the same and all the greek dancing, ouzo and greek food, the groom had to convert) Highly highly recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Anyway, now that the cold weather is on the way and we'll be going to movies more, anyone seen anything good lately?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Real Ouzo?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Yep. The bride also named her dog Ouzo. I knew better than to partake, however.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Pretty much crap in the theatres this time of year, me thinks.

Spiderman was the last movie I saw and it was just "okay".

Heard XXX was good.

The new Hannibal Lechter movie should be amusing...

Registered
    Dec 1998
    The last movie I saw in a theatre was "John Q." and that was only because my date wanted to see it. It was the worst Denzel movie I'd ever seen and I'm certainly glad the $6 admission didn't come out of my pocket. I haven't had a desire to see any new releases in about a year. The movies have either been really crappy or very uninteresting lately.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ...and when I was at Blockbuster yesterday, they had a whole wall of "new releases" of the movie Dahmer . Sad thing, is, they were all rented out.

C'mon folks, this is Milwaukee where it happened. Most of the victims' families still live in the area. Very insensitive. Do you really want us to re-live this part of local (and recent) history?
    And what kind of sick puppy wants to? Apparrently at least 2 dozen in my neighborhood. This movie didnt need to be made much less locally distributed. Repugnant.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Can't think of anything out there right now I want to see. Wouldn't mind seeing My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Waiting for the next Lord of the Rings installment I guess...

Registered
    Jul 2002

JD

Originally posted by bturk
    ...and when I was at Blockbuster yesterday, they had a whole wall of "new releases" of the movie Dahmer . Sad thing, is, they were all rented out.

C'mon folks, this is Milwaukee where it happened. Most of the victims' families still live in the area. Very insensitive. Do you really want us to re-live this part of local (and recent) history?
    And what kind of sick puppy wants to? Apparrently at least 2 dozen in my neighborhood. This movie didnt need to be made much less locally distributed. Repugnant.
    I just recently rode by Jeff's house when he lived in Bath...eerie!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Went to go see XXX a couple of weeks ago. It was OK. We've been sticking to Blockbuster mostly. "We were soldiers" was great. I also really liked John Q...sorry Planderella

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I saw a good flick the other day (from Blockbuster). It was called "The Salton Sea." It is high on drug use and violence, so be warned if that type of thing bothers you... but it had good cinematography a la "Requiem for a Dream."

I read the book "Possession" (it's one of my faves), so I was considering seeing the movie. But it looks like it's heavier on the romance and lighter on the sleuthy parts of the book, so I may just wait until the video. I always seem to be disappointed when a book is awesome and then it turns into a movie.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    mostly let downs.. Perhaps I'm just not in the movie going mood. Everyone I know said The Royal Tennenbaums was fantastic, but it bored me and I ended up going outside instead of finishing the thing. I actually saw that Dahmer flick, more of a forced watching and hiding under a blanket on the couch. It was sad, but our Blockbuster only had 2 copies. I just wanted to see if there was any more truth in the movie, I expected a "discovery" type documentary, but it was just sad.

I did like Signs. James went to play hockey after was saw that and left me home alone.. and then called me making those clicking sounds. Such a nice man!

I loved Greek Wedding.. I've seen in twice now.

I'm going to go see the Star Wars flick again, since it's being re-released on IMAX. I just want to see a big freakin' Yoda.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Hmmm, went to see Triple X and really liked it. It was fun and even though the snowboarding scene was all that nasty CGI, it was just damn fun. XGames/james Bond. What's not to like. Plot?!?!? We don need no stinkin' plot.........

Also saw Blue Crush, REALLY disappointed with that one, thought it had potential, but newp!!!!

rented Sexy Beast, 'ok', I am Sam (Whoa, had me bawling, still can't believe Penn pulls off an autistic/downs syndrome, he was awesome), Gosford Park (slow and not as funny as we thought), Donny Darko (really sweet movie), re-rented Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (think British Pulp Fiction), Birthday Girl (Nicole Kidman is unbelievable (as is good) as a russian woman.....well, rent it) and have Curse of the Jade Scorpion waiting at home.

I saw the Dahmer vid on the shelf, but never ever ever will rent that crap. Somethings just need to be left alone, the guy was a freak, did what he did, got what he deserved, leave it alone.

......he steps down from the soapbox.
    I wonder if birds know it's Tuesday?

I went to see One Hour Photo this weekend. It was really creepy. Robin Williams did a good job.

I found it interesting that he worked inside the cleanest big box mega retailer I have ever seen.

Originally posted by Planderella
    I haven't had a desire to see any new releases in about a year. The movies have either been really crappy or very uninteresting lately.

Pretty much the same here.

This year, my sister recommended From Hell and The Others to me, but I haven't seen them...

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Tex - didn't like Tennenbaums? It did move a little slow. And Smarty, I was also pretty disappointed in Gosford Park - although I really loved The Player, I've not really been enthusiastic about anything else Alton has done.

When I find an afternoon to spend knitting in front of the tv, and nothing is on, Moulin Rouge finds its way into my DVD player consistently. Maybe its all the wacky drugs my doctor has me on this month, but I've been crying through the whole thing. It reminds me of when Khan Jr. got her period on King of the Hill, and Minh was explaining about how great sad movies can really be when you're horomonal and that "At the right time of the month, Titanic can really blow your mind". hee.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I saw The Others on DVD. A pretty good flick, but slow in the middle, and a bit "formula".

Registered
    Dec 1998
    "The Others" was much better than I had expected. Out of sheer boredom and laziness, I watched "Glitter" the other night. Now that's a horrible movie! No wonder Mariah went insane afterwards.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    A couple of rentals my wife and I enjoyed:

Life as a House: Good performances by Kevin Klein and Hayden (Don't call me Darth Vader yet) Christiansen.

The Sweetest Thing: A bit of a female slanted comedy, but has some absolutely hilarious parts.

I am Sam: I set a new record by forming tears within 5 minutes of the opening credits. Amazing performance by Sean Penn, absolutely heartwrenching story (plus my wife works with developmentally disabled adults....so the story is really believable).

Also out today:

Monsters. Inc: Even if you don't have kids....an enjoyable flick.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I highly recommend 'Bend it Like Beckham' - just came out here, dunno about in other countries. I thought 'oh great, a soccer movie' but it was really funny and much better than I thought.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    i have kids and i have monster inc.. and i like that movie a lot!

oh ya.. rents...hmm nothing.. but i did finally catch pleasantville on TBS the other night.

Tells you how often i goto the theater. The last movie I saw was Star Wars II.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by JNL
    I highly recommend 'Bend it Like Beckham' - just came out here, dunno about in other countries. I thought 'oh great, a soccer movie' but it was really funny and much better than I thought.
    Is that the Commonwealth version of "Like Mike"?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I really enjoyed the movie "Amelie" - quirky, but fun. "Sexy Beast" was good, but bizarre and disturbing. Think "Snatch" only darker. Much darker. Ben Kingsley was amazing.

Speaking of "Snatch", that was pretty good too.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Oh the things that I would love to say....

I want to see Jackass-The Movie. For some reason I just love that they do stuff that will hurt them, stupid humor, but it makes me laugh.

Did anyone see Insomniac? I wanted to, but during scary movies I always get up and get something to drink. It's my 'I have to get water time".
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Insomnia was okay... not too bad really. The original (which I think was Swedish) was way better. A really awesome flick. It stars Stellan Skarsgard, who is way cool...

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I'll definitely cast a vote for Amelie, but as for Sexy Beast - yes, Ben Kingsley was really good, but it seemed pretty slow moving to me. But next time I have an engineer bring in yet another totally incomprehensible plan, I will implement Ben's rebuttal technique: "NO! NO! NO! NO F***ing WAY, NO!!!!!!" over and over again. my favorite part of the movie.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Recommendations on new PC
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Jul 2008, 5:12 PM
  2. Laptop recommendations?
    Information Technology
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 May 2005, 10:31 PM
  3. Movie recommendations, anyone?
    Friday Afternoon Club