Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Any info on joint degrees (UP/JD or UP/MPA)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Any info on joint degrees (UP/JD or UP/MPA)

I am a first-year planning student and, given that my main area of interest is in urban public policy (as it relates to land use, transportation, and regional planning), I was thinking of supplementing my education with another degree, either a JD or MPA. Is there anyone here who has done/is doing one of these joint degrees, and if so, could you share your motivations for pursuing so many years of graduate education, and what you think it will do for you that the simple Masters in Urban Planning wouldn't.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by unless
    I am a first-year planning student and, given that my main area of interest is in urban public policy (as it relates to land use, transportation, and regional planning), I was thinking of supplementing my education with another degree, either a JD or MPA. Is there anyone here who has done/is doing one of these joint degrees, and if so, could you share your motivations for pursuing so many years of graduate education, and what you think it will do for you that the simple Masters in Urban Planning wouldn't.

If you go back about a page or two in the Student Louge you will find a slew of answers to that question. I believe we had that question along with some other options for joint degrees. Hope that helps.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    what i've heard as of late is that MPA programs often focus on either policy or the real nuts and bolts of public sector admin. apparently my school is not very good for the former. so, if you're interested in policy, make sure that's the bent of your school's curriculum. otherwise, you might be disappointed.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've seen several schools that offer joint MPA/JD degrees. That JD degree can be particularly useful if you want to do private sector work. Several of the biggie public consulting firms like having planners with JDs on the staff to draft regulations. The MPA comes in handy for the policy formulation side of things as well as administrative procedures. Tack that on to your planning undergrad and that sounds like a potent combonation. Check some of the back threads where this was discussed previously. I'm not sure if I mentioned it on there, but St. Mary's University in San Antonio offers a joint MPA/JD degree. Thier law school is beginning to rebuild their reputation and the university has received positive marks from US News & World Report.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 18 Aug 2008, 11:39 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 31 Jul 2008, 6:00 PM
  3. Joint MBA and MUP
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Oct 2007, 5:35 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Apr 2005, 12:39 PM