Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Applying for a position when you know people at the prospective employer

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Applying for a position when you know people at the prospective employer

Hi,

So I might be interested in applying for a job at another organization that I've only occasionally worked with in the past. I do affordable housing in DC and want to change jobs, but I'm wondering how I handle the application process at this specific organization when I kinda know some people at the organization, but not that well enough where I'd feel comfortable giving them a call and telling them I'm interested. Plus, since I'm still working at my current job, I don't want word to travel that I'm hoping to leave. Any ideas for a game plan?

Thanks!

Registered
    Dec 2002
    I was in a similar situation, where I was working for a firm and was looking to relocate so I sent resumes out to other firms - firms with people who knew all the people at my firm. The best way to approach that is to state somewhere early in your cover letter (or email) that you are attaching/enclosing your resume "in confidence." Even though ethics and professionalism should ideally prevent people from telling your present employer, you at least reiterate - in a professional manner - that you don't want anyone to know.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ha Ha Ha

Quote Originally posted by Dashboard
    I was in a similar situation, where I was working for a firm and was looking to relocate so I sent resumes out to other firms - firms with people who knew all the people at my firm. The best way to approach that is to state somewhere early in your cover letter (or email) that you are attaching/enclosing your resume "in confidence." Even though ethics and professionalism should ideally prevent people from telling your present employer, you at least reiterate - in a professional manner - that you don't want anyone to know.
    That must be nice, here in Florida, THERE IS ZERO expectation of privacy if you make application to a government agency...... I've heard many stories of people trying the "in confidence" thing here and it not working at all.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 06 Oct 2013, 9:02 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 26 Jun 2013, 5:24 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 10 Jul 2011, 1:18 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 13 Apr 2007, 12:38 PM