Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Graduate program focusing on urban redevelopment

     
    Registered
    Sep 2005

Graduate program focusing on urban redevelopment

Hey all,

I'm looking for a master's program that has strengths in urban redevelopment. I've lived in a small city for most of my life (Scranton, PA) minus going away to college at Penn State. Since Scranton is apart of the Rust Belt, it has been in decline a good portion of the 20th century and redevelopment efforts are finally coming to fruition. Scranton's rich industrial history in tandem with its fairly poor infrastructure has imbued me with a strong desire to commit to an urban planning program in which I can somehow merge both elements of historic preservation and physical planning to contribute to urban redevelopment.

Right now, I'm definitely applying to SUNY-Buffalo and UVa and I would like to apply to at least three or four other schools. Unfortunately, I really don't know of any other schools in which my academic interests would be a good fit. If anyone could shed some light on possible schools or other possible academic avenues, I would be grateful.

Thanks!

Bill

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee and Portland State University top my list of recommendations for schools with a redevelopment focus. Both are very active in their respective community, which makes the program all the more valuable.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

     
    Registered
    Sep 2005
    Hi Bill,

Check out Clark University's program- CDP within their IDCE program. I just graduated and did much work on brownfields and redevelopment with the city of Worcester in addition to getting a top rate planning MA. Of course that seems to have done little for me in the job market as everyone seems to be infactuated with 21 year olds with less than 3 years planning experience.

http://www.clarku.edu/departments/idce/cp/index.shtml

good luck,

Stephen

Registered
    Nov 2002

I agree

Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    The University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee and Portland State University top my list of recommendations for schools with a redevelopment focus. Both are very active in their respective community, which makes the program all the more valuable.
    I agree that these are both good programs for that sort of planning. I also found Minnesota to have a lot of opportunities for this sort of study. Heck, any reputable planning program in an older city will probably be good for this kind of work.

Quote Originally posted by Masswich
    I agree that these are both good programs for that sort of planning. I also found Minnesota to have a lot of opportunities for this sort of study. Heck, any reputable planning program in an older city will probably be good for this kind of work.
    I can't agree more.

     
    Registered
    Sep 2005

Vcu

Thanks for the replys.

I was thinking about adding VCU as a possible school to my list. Does anyone know anything about this program? Is it reputable in the field?

Thanks!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Aug 2009, 6:41 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 19 Oct 2007, 10:06 AM
  3. One year graduate program?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Sep 2007, 2:25 PM
  4. Replies: 9