Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: If you were Governor?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

If you were Governor?

Last night someone asked me an interesting question. If you where the Governor of your state, what would you do? What changes would you make in planning policy, education, and general day to day operations?

We all see how powerful state governments can be and how each state has such an influence on its municipalities, so here is a change to dream.
    You get what you give.

Registered
    Aug 1997

If I were governor . . . .

Well, the big issue here in Texas is the funding of public education. The courts have mandated change, even set a deadline for it, but nothing's changed. The governor called 2 special sessions of the legislature, but nothing's happened.

I'd definately tackle this issue. The need is great, the goal is worthwhile, and time is running out.

I think I'd appeal to Texans' pride, and say enough of this "We're 49th, thank you Mississippi!" stuff.

Just a thought.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'd do whatever it takes (including defecit spending) to get our schools in good shape. I'd also make sure that the roads/mass transit get a fair share of money, since Illinois is arguably the transportation hub of the U.S. I'll probably also advocate for more hospitals and assited-living facilities in our growing regions and make sure the urban ones get enough funding. I'd also double check the homeland security/emergency management plans/funding, and make any necessary changes. And I'd set aside more land for hunting, wildlife refuge, and prairie restoration.

For one thing, I would make sure to do something everyday, unlike our current governor.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Sep 2001
    My list if I was premier

1) Dr's and education - tuition would be much higher, with a huge income tax credit provided once they are practicing and after 5 years of service in the province that subsidized their education.

2) Student Loans for everyone, the amount repaid, not just the interest would be a tax credit.

3) Education - restream the education system - go back to the basic/general /advanced system of placement and bring back real tech high schools

Planning - higher property taxes and income taxes on land specualtion
    more tax credits for adaptive reuses and true infill development
    More money for transit
    Take sales tax off of bicycles (they do this in BC)

taxes - reduce items that have PST on them

Raise sales taxes on luxury items and gas guzzlers(based on milage and GVW)
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff
    Well, the big issue here in Texas is the funding of public education. The courts have mandated change, even set a deadline for it, but nothing's changed. The governor called 2 special sessions of the legislature, but nothing's happened.

I'd definately tackle this issue. The need is great, the goal is worthwhile, and time is running out.

I think I'd appeal to Texans' pride, and say enough of this "We're 49th, thank you Mississippi!" stuff.

Just a thought.
    As governor, I would systematically kick every single state representative in the junk for letting politics get in the way of the State's needs. I would also kick current Governor Blow Dry in the junk just because it's fun.

Education is the big issue in this state. Our funding system is a joke and nobody in the State House has any creativity in fixing the problem nor is willing to challenge the status quo. They throw out options based solely on what they call "moral" beliefs (when did opposing income tax become a "moral" duty?) and refuse to consider other options because they are too busy suckling the teat of the special interest lobbies. They also refuse to consider ways to reduce the cost of education. Why does a state with 254 counties have nearly 1,100 school districts? Nobody talks about consolidation as part of the solution... Bexar County (where San Antonio is) alone has 14 school districts the last time I checked.

Hmmm... that turned into a bit of a rant. Sorry bout that!

Note: In Texas, the Lt. Governor really has the most power. I believe Texas has the weakest governor powers in the country.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jun 2004

Hypothetical Governor of North Carolina

I would adovocate for the following for the great North State:

The state to cover all of medicaid cost; now the state has the counties paying their share.

Home rule cities; now we have to ask for permission to do everything from TDR to impact fees.

Card Games on the Cherokee Indian Reservation; now it is limited to video games.

Ensure that lottery proceeds go to education as that was the pitch when it was approved early this year.

Continue the driver licences tied to academics; and if you can't make the grade you can't drive well at least till age 18.

encouage cooperation between the school districts and local governments on the location of new schools; none of this building schools on sites that have poor access because someone gave you the land at a good price then complaining about access.

Beer sells earlier on sunday to acomadate nascar fans at the tracks, currently no beer sells before noon on sundays.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Ambitious, but ideally I would:

1. Institute a state property tax for school funding, allocated to individual schools based solely on enrollment numbers. Local funding of schools would be eliminated and local property taxes would be expected to decrease accordingly. Schools would be managed by a resident/parent council. All state public schools would be open to all Massachusetts students who could secure transportation to and from (some school-funded transportation would be available).

2. Create an elected metropolitan government covering all communities within Route 128 responsible for police, fire, public housing, planning, economic development, public transportation, streets, airports, seaports, parks and recreation, water and sewer and other infrastructure. The City of Boston, other municipalities, Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, Massachusetts Water Resources Authority, Massachusetts Port Authority, and former Metropolitan District Commission would all be folded into this new layer of government.

3. Build the North-South Rail Link.

4. Build a high-speed (c. 200 MPH) rail network connecting Boston with New Bedford, Fall River, Brockton, Worcester, Lowell, Lawrence, and Haverhill with feeder streetcar lines in each city.

5. Convert the Silver Line to light rail and connect the both segments to the Green Line at Boylston Station. Replace airport service with express buses between South Station and the airport terminals via I-90.

6. Install high-speed electronic tolls on the Southeast Expressway (now the only free highway ride into Central Boston).

7. Install a reversible HOV zipper lane on the Massachusetts Turnpike from Route 128 in Newton to Copley Square, with and entrance and exit at Newton Corner.

8. Extend the I-93 HOV lane from Somerville to Route 128 in Woburn.

9. Build multi-modal transit centers at Quincy Adams, Route 128, Riverside, Andersen and Lynn Central Square stations. Require intercity buses to stop at these transit centers on their way in and out of Boston (South Station Bus Terminal). Subsidize shuttles from these centers to area office parks, residential neighborhoods and commercial districts. Better connect the commuter rail and rapid transit systems to these five circumferential centers.

9. Lower drinking age to 18 and raise driving age to 18. Either you are an adult or you are not. All rights should come at the age of majority.
    Last edited by jmello; 13 Sep 2005 at 11:12 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Gov. ZMan of the Centennial State, Colorado

I, for one, would probably reduce tuition to all state colleges as they have had to raise it because of lack of funding. There is a bumper sticker you'll see out here that says Welcome to Colorado, 49th in Funding Schools. I would fund public schools more, including the rural and Denver schools.

I would also put advertising into promoting all state parks.

The roads here will always be bad due to the weather, I would like to put money into a passenger rail system along the I-25 corridor and up into the mountains on I-70 (ski traffic in the winter is terrible).

I would like to promote Denver for more National Conventions, etc. (Although I think they try to do that anyway)

Also I will enjoy winning the annual bet with the Nebraska governor for the CU vs. Nebraska football game. (Usually the bet consists of Steaks from Colo. and Corn from Nebraska or something like that)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2005
    So many things in Kansas so little time.

School Funding comes first for me

Then better roads in Central and Western KS, the eastern half has nice ones, most of the rest of the state could use some help

More will come to me later, but those are the big ones the easily comes to mind

I'd like to see the state emphasize urban areas as opposed to rural development. Nothing angers me more in this job than to look at funded projects (when we were un-funded) and see a bunch of no-place 'burgs getting my grant money. The fact that most of them tend to be north of a Bloomington -- Columbus line has no small effect on me either.

We need to adopt a farmland preservation program modeled after New Jersey's - the most progressive in the country, IMO.

I'd fight the teacher's unions to demand better performance from educators, or else get yourself another job! Unions shouldn't protect bad teachers.

I'd eliminate townships. Poof! Gone!

I'd put the state on Central Time and observe daylight saving time, excepting the five Cincy/Louisville counties.

I'd make annexation something planners could accomplish, not something only a handful of powerful law firms in Indy have to help with.

I'd have the housing finance authority make cities eligible for OO rehab grants again, not CAAs.

Better tax credit options for historic rehab, including owner-occupied.

And, last but not least, daytime running lights mandatory after 2008.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Oops... I just remembered Illinois is one of only a few states that doesn't allow its citizens to carry firearms in any way. As a result, our violent crime rates are significantly higher in sections of the state.

I would advocate for some type of limited concealed carry, provided the citizens wishing to carry undergo training and background checks.
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I'd activate the Illinois National Gaurd and invade Wisconsin.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'd make sure Katherine Harris never ran for office again... oh, unless maybe for the board at Estee Lauder...

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    Haha...excellent. We should run together...Gov. and Lt. Gov.

I'm all for making Illinois' playground part of Illinois!!!
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    If this Bear was Governor of Ohio, here's a few things I would do.....

I would authorize our state-run Bureau of Worker's Compensation to invest about a hundred (100) million dollars in questionable investments. When asked to comment about why those investments went south and the state lost all of that money I would mumble and generally dance around the topic until the person(s) asking the tough questions went away.

I would disgrace my great grandparents' fine name (even though at least one was so big they built a special bathtub for him). I would slip up to Toledo's famed Inverness Country Club and accept free golf from my supporters (who also happen to be big supporters of a certain person from Crawford, TX), even though I know that accepting this is wrong. When asked later, I would act like I didn't know. Then when the judge asks me about it I will apologize to my state's residents.

I will embrace a warm friendship with a NW Ohio coin dealer, even as that same dealer steals millions from state of Ohio investments (in coins).
    _____

Oh......I think all of this was already done.....my bad.....

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    I'd activate the Minnesota National Guard and invade Illinois, and take the recipe for deep dish pizza from you know where.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by safege
    I'd activate the Minnesota National Guard and invade Illinois, and take the recipe for deep dish pizza from you know where.

You wouldn't dare...
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner

You wouldn't dare...
    You're right about that.

(Someday I'll take Amtrak over, just for dinner )

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I'd make sure Katherine Harris never ran for office again... oh, unless maybe for the board at Estee Lauder...
    Oh I don't know, I gave her a "9" when she posted her pic on "Am I Hot or Not."

If I was Gov, I'd make sure they sent someone competent from DCA to attend every county's kick-off meeting for their Comp Plan EAR. And maybe send somebody from DEP, too. Oh, and the water management district, too. (Yes, they were invited!.)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Smile.

Wave.

Hold a cocktail party.

Open a school.

Address a conferance.

Patron a charity.

Thats all governors here can do.

Not a bad life really.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    If I was Governor of Maryland I would give a damn about Baltimore. I don't think the incumbent could spell Baltimore.

If fate should have it that the Intercounty Connector should be built, then I would take all the money that the state's spending on multi-billion transportation projects that will never get built and build the Red and Green Lines for Baltimore's subway system.

I would improve the Baltimore school system including the athletic facilities. Coming from Nebraska to this place is a real eye opener.

I would institute better job training programs across the state from Appalachia to the ocean. If a person is willing to learn and has an ounce of initiative, you can teach him/her to do anything.

I would implement cross state train service from Hagerstown to Annapolis with stops at Frederick, New Market, Mt. Airy, Ellicott City, Baltimore, Thurgood Marshall BWI Airport, Odenton and Annapolis.
    Last edited by the north omaha star; 15 Sep 2005 at 12:07 PM.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    I'd like to see the state emphasize urban areas as opposed to rural development. Nothing angers me more in this job than to look at funded projects (when we were un-funded) and see a bunch of no-place 'burgs getting my grant money. The fact that most of them tend to be north of a Bloomington -- Columbus line has no small effect on me either.

We need to adopt a farmland preservation program modeled after New Jersey's - the most progressive in the country, IMO.

I'd fight the teacher's unions to demand better performance from educators, or else get yourself another job! Unions shouldn't protect bad teachers.

I'd eliminate townships. Poof! Gone!

I'd make annexation something planners could accomplish, not something only a handful of powerful law firms in Indy have to help with.

Better tax credit options for historic rehab, including owner-occupied.

And, last but not least, daytime running lights mandatory after 2008.
    I agree w/ Gedunker on these points.

Nobody wants to be the Kentucky Governor right now: Merit System Investigation
    http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...template=theme
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    If I were governor of Michigan I would do the following:

Tell the big 3 to F off by reduce funding for state roads and push for a statewide rail system. It have Lansing as its central point, and run along major road ways to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Ann Arbor, Detroit, Mackinac Bridge, and Traverse City. It would also have lines that would run along I-75, US-131, I-94, and M-55.

Switch to same test as every other state for the no child left behind act so that Michigan can be more competitive for federal funding.

Improve historic tax credits

Permit Cities over 50,000 residents to annex townships of any size as long as they share a common boundary, and are part of the same county.

Increase price of driver’s licenses and drivers education.

Require annual driving tests after the age of 70.

Promote the development of more than just industrial and manufacturing jobs.

Streamline the Secretary of State offices (DMV), and have machines to produce drivers licenses on site.

Reduce funding for suburban schools while increasing the funding for urban schools.

Have programs set up to get parents involved in their child education.

Eliminate teaching tenure.

Make Check n’ Cash or PayDay Loan type business illegal.

Improve personal finance education starting in Middle School.

Require auto inspections to have license plates renewed.

Require each MSA with a residential population over 100,000 to have a regional comprehensive plan, and updates every 5 years.

Incorporate an intrastate communication system for all law enforcement, first responders, search and rescue, EMTs, and Fire Departments.

Modify term limits for state senators and congress people to 10 terms each. (Let them be in office long enough to get something done)

Create an online voting system and increase the number of polling locations

Require that all individuals on financial assistance from state or local governments attend educational and financial training programs.

Bring back chain gangs in prisons and county jails. Inmates would be able to make some money, but most would taxed to pay for jail/ prison operations. TV would be limited to HGTV, the History Channel, and the Weather Channel. Weight and work out, sports, and recreational equipment would be sold off at auction, all prisoner uniforms would be bright orange... including under garments and shoes. Inmate would not be permitted to have any personal items in their cells at any time. All prisons and jails would be operated in the same strict manor as military boot camp.

Each County will be required to have a comprehensive emergency management plan. This would include evacuation plans, emergency response routes, shelter locations, and processes to bring in state and federal help in a timely manner.

Finally, Michael Moore would be BANISHED from the state.
    You get what you give.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    If I were governor of Michigan I would do the following:

Make Check n’ Cash or PayDay Loan type business illegal.
    How would people without bank accounts cash their paychecks?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    How would people without bank accounts cash their paychecks?
    Off-topic:
    Anyone with ID can cash a check at the bank it's drawn from. Without paying any fee for the priviledge.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 36
    Last post: 12 Jan 2009, 4:01 PM
  2. Replies: 69
    Last post: 19 Mar 2008, 6:36 PM
  3. Replies: 32
    Last post: 16 Aug 2004, 12:35 PM
  4. Governor Terminator
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 47