Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Current or long range planning?

Registered
    May 2004

Current or long range planning?

For those people who have had experience doing both, which do you like better and why?

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I liked current better. The pace was faster, the deadlines defined, the end goal of each project was understandable. I found it a lot easier to keep myself motivated.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think this has been said before but isn't current planning an oxymoron? I guess I work in current planning but it's really just development review.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I prefer to work for a small enough place that I can do both (like I do now). But if I could only choose one, I would pick current planning... not the development review kind of thing, but more of subdivisions, neighbourhood planning, etc. Doing policies all the time gets a little boring for me.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I do both, and don't work in a "small" place at all. I'm kind of the transition person, since I get to do the overlays and other projects that are a mix of both worlds. I really don't like site review (it gets routine, except for the impossible sites that just can't accommodate the project no matter how much the developer cries) and if I had a choice I'd choose long range. Less hectic, and it gives more of a feeling of accomplishment, imo.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I personally think that the two are interrelated. I think that as planners we need to do long range planning to provide a positive direction, while staying flexible to current changes and trends.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I agree with Michaelskis that the two are closely related. Long term plans need flexibility and interpretation with regard to current development. I am definitely more of a long-term planner, though.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    In non-pigeoholed office I have/had to do both, flexiability.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I've done both too, and I think it really depends upon your personality as to which suits you better. I am more inclined to enjoy projects with immediate satisfaction, so I love digging down on a development review for a couple of days and turning out a good, solid report (not to mention seeing a real live building result in a few months' time). Plus, I am more of a do-er than a thinker, so I enjoy evaluating developments against an existing community plan, rather than coming up with that plan myself. I know, I shouldn't be a planner, but I love urban issues.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I love doing both but since I am such a slacker, it is better for me to have more deadline driven jobs - current planning. But I love transportation and parks/trails planning best.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Long-Range Listening To AM Radio
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 60
    Last post: 05 Jan 2012, 10:30 AM
  2. Current urban planning problems
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 19 Oct 2009, 2:39 PM
  3. Colorado- Front Range Planning
    Career Development and Advice