Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: TORONTO: Random, Front Street, Cabbagetown (80+ pics)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005

TORONTO: Random, Front Street, Cabbagetown (80+ pics)

Tour someone did.

Front street and surroundings

Last weekend I went downtown to take pics and ended up mostly on the east side of Front street which is part of the St. Lawrence neighbourhood. I toured bits of the CBD as well. There is no particular order to these...

This is further east in Corktown

The suits may own the CBD during the weekdays but these guys take it over on the weekends.

This guy in particular was amazing... he could make that bike do almost anything.

The Toronto film festival is happening now and this district, Yorkville (especially) and the Entertainment District will be hopping tonight with the industry elite and their stalkers

this is Corktown again

Cabbagetown

These pics are just a taste of Cabbage(town) and even that is saying a bit much. It's a huge neighbourhood that definitely deserves it's own thread but for now this is what I got.

The Winchester is getting a makeover and a new tenent (I think it's a donut shop of all things)

Cheers!

Thanks, hope you enjoyed!

Great pictures! But one thing in particular makes me nuts.
    Quote Originally posted by Copper
    The dumbass architects did something exactly like this in Montreal. The Concordia University main office/library building is a block-sized postmodernist monster that completely engulfs the remains of a classical building that serves as an art gallery. The two look nothing alike! They didn't even use the same colors. Instead of building an addition to the old building they did as little as possible to appease the preservationists, making sure the new postmodernist building would be the dominant visual feature between the two.

In a way the joke's on them. Since making a direct comparison between the two is inevitable, and the higher quality of the old design is obvious, preserving the old facade just exposes how grotesque and ridiculous the new building is. Though with postmodernists, maybe that was their intention.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Copper
    Tour someone did.
    Moderator note:
    If these aren't your photos, could you please provide proper credit to the person who took them? I believe the photog is actually a member of this forum

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Oh ya sorry bout that, I was in a rush to make the thread so didnt have time to go see who took the pics.

They are by Shappy from SkyscraperPage Forums.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Toronto municipal housing stock is of such nice quality. Makes up for the rest of the GTA.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    A beautiful city full of beautiful people!
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Once again, Toronto makes the case for the fact that North American cities can be more than just giant suburbs. I point to this pic in particular:

If I hadn't just visited the site where that photo was taken earlier this year, I'd say we were in one of the inner districts of a large European capital or industrial city, maybe Berlin, Birmingham, Hamburg, Rotterdam, or Glasgow.

These pictures are in no way representative of the popular view of Toronto; Québécois and Western Canadians alike see the city as a counting-house where the bars close early, and Americans insist on making comparisons to New York (a VASTLY different city in very many ways) instead of trying to understand the place.

As a two-time Toronto visitor, I see the city as what it is: North America's Next Greatest City.

You go, TO.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Copper, I don't mind you posting my photos (as long as you give proper credit from the get go of course), but in the future, please be respectful of how it was originally posted and meant to be viewed. There were originally 3 separate parts to the thread and you've mangled them up a bit...

Anyway, if anyone wants to see the original and more organized version, please go here

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Off-topic:

Shappy,

What camera and lens combo are you using to get the pictures to "pop" so much?

Your colours and contrasts are great.

Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2005
    donk, I guess most of what you see is done in "post production" (though all I ever do is sharpen the image a bit and possibly apply some fade correction). My camera is nothing special - a Canon S1IS. I'm glad you think the images came out well though.. thanks.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by shappy
    donk, I guess most of what you see is done in "post production" (though all I ever do is sharpen the image a bit and possibly apply some fade correction). My camera is nothing special - a Canon S1IS. I'm glad you think the images came out well though.. thanks.
    Thanks, I'll try some of those tricks. Guess I'll just have to get better at post production. With my Nikon D1 and Nikon lenses, I can't blame the equipment too much.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 2005
    Good pics Shappy. A true urban center!

Bill

“You stay classy, San Diego.”

- Ron Burgundy

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Sensational Toronto Pics
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 31 Dec 2005, 2:49 AM