Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Single family to multi-family ordinance

Single family to multi-family ordinance

I live in a 12,000 sq ft. old stone schoolhouse, State Historical designation,within the village limits. I want to convert it to condominiums & the village planning commission wants me to write an ordinance to do this. It is currently zoned single family housing & so it currently cannot be converted to condos. I tried for a use variance & a rezoning but I have been told that a new ordinance should be created to accomplish my objectives. It meets closely with their master plan criteria of diversifying housing types, preservation of historic buildings, consolidating driveways, etc. How should I approach this?

Determine your existing zoning district. Find the permitted uses section of the local code, and insert "condominiums." You might also want to propose adding a definition of condominiums since that term really applies to a form of ownership rather than building or use, so you might as well add apartments/multi-family in the amendment.

It might be a simple as that. If the town wants you to go into specifics, I'd try to shy away from that. Get a draft and run it by the local staff for their comments first--if you can get a meeting with the town attorney, he or she might be willing to help you put the change in amendment form.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Multi-family development
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 5:49 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 24 Apr 2008, 8:54 AM
  3. Single family or two family
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 11 Jul 2007, 2:43 PM