Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Writing Senior Thesis on Instant Trailer Park Cities in Louisiana

Registered
    Sep 2005
    I am beginning my senior thesis on the trailer park communities that FEMA and HUD are building right now in and around Baker, Slidell, and Patterson, Louisiana. FEMA is going to own the land and the trailers, and the evacuees will be tenants. I have just begun so I have many many unanswered questions about the permanence of the communities, their interactions with existing towns, infrastructure, sustainability, whether the residents will ever have to pay rent or get jobs...

I am not looking for opinions as much as I am looking for factual information and leads or sources to organizations or individuals involved in building, maintaining, or living in these instant cities.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 20 Sep 2005 at 9:51 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Not sure how much info is out there, the scope an dscale of this is unprecedented.

A few leads you might want to look into

1) New Brunswick - the trailer park capital of canada
    2) Settlements in the Gaza Strip and how they were constructed
    3) Historic Company/Purpose built communities (northern especially - capital of nunavut comes to mind)

Need more info to be able to provide more suggestions.

What are you hoping to prove/examine and other than the media hype what is your interest in this subject?(No judgement intended, just want to understand better)
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Don't forget the housing impact after Hurricane Andrew.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Moderator note:

I've now deleted/consolidated 3 duplicate threads by the OP. Please, one thread per subject, we do not allow duplicate threads in multiple subforums.

Quote Originally posted by Board Rules
    2.5 Duplicate posts and threads
    A message may be posted in only one forum; duplicate posts and threads are not permitted. However, posts users have made at other message boards may be reposted to the Cyburbia Fourms.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What are you specifically interested in about these cities? I'm sure you will need to narrow your topic on this in order to make a manageable workload for quality research.

Sustainability of these cities might be a good start, but are they really intended to be sustainable or are they simply temporary and don't have regard for that component? Are they sustainable by accident due to the need for efficient infrastructure & design given the sudden relocation of a massive population?

You could look at their form and function based on the people living in them having limited means of transportation.

The role of eminent domain in the relocation of evacuees might be another topic if you are looking for something with more applied research.

Those are just a few of my thoughts. I doubt you will be able to make much contact with FEMA or HUD over the coming months because they are too busy with the emergency to devote much time in assisting with academic research. It might help if you know someone personally within the agencies or if they have a written plan for this (doubtful). I would be more inclined to contact local building representatives and development offices to see what information they have. Again, you may run into the same problem.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005

Also Look at examples in South Florida

Between the ones in Charlotte County left from Charley and the ones in the Homestead Area that grew out of Andrew, you wil have some comparison to work with.

Quote Originally posted by uelsam
    I am beginning my senior thesis on the trailer park communities that FEMA and HUD are building right now in and around Baker, Slidell, and Patterson, Louisiana. FEMA is going to own the land and the trailers, and the evacuees will be tenants. I have just begun so I have many many unanswered questions about the permanence of the communities, their interactions with existing towns, infrastructure, sustainability, whether the residents will ever have to pay rent or get jobs...

I am not looking for opinions as much as I am looking for factual information and leads or sources to organizations or individuals involved in building, maintaining, or living in these instant cities.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 30 Jun 2011, 7:16 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Nov 2007, 12:38 PM
  3. Trailer Park Sit-com
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 10 Dec 2004, 6:00 PM
  4. Instant message feature?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help