Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Sports Ticket Thread

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

The Sports Ticket Thread

Thought I'd start this one as I just purchased some sweet seats for when the Habs come to town to play the Avalanche on Jan. 11. I bit the bullet and spent a good chunk on seats about 15 rows off the ice behind the penalty boxes. These are the best seats for a Canadiens/Avalanche matchup I have gotten, most being up in the nose bleeds.

The Main question though is what are some good seats you have sat in for sporting events?

Here's mine:
    First game I went to in the new Pepsi Center, Avs/Flames Four rows up on the blue line! Swwet seats and you could pester the Flames player in the box!

I sat 5 rows behind home plates at a Phillies/Rockies game in Coors Field. Good seats, man those pitchers sure throw fast!

We had season tix to the Broncos at one point. 26 rows up aling the 35 yard line. Not the best, but a great view. You could also walk along the field to your seats. Kind of cool to stand next to the players!

So what say you? Anyone sat rink side? 50 yard line? Any championship games you experienced?

Sound off.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Best seats I ever had: Ray Bourque's last game as a Bruin, vs. the Flyers, from a corporate luxury box (my uncle got them from a medical company).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I have sat first row behind the Blues box, regular season game.
    And just the other night I sat about 5 rows behind home plate at a Cards game (when Mr. Walker hit it out of the stadium for the winning run ); I have sat in suites at Busch Stadium as well but the location is not that close to the field

As a kid I sat in the front row just to the plate side of the Red Sox dugout at Fenway for a game. Nothing else has come close to that at all.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    2nd row behind the penalty box at a Dallas Stars game at old Reunion Arena. Not only good for watching the game, but also for heckling players in trouble.

In college I was always on the front row of the student section near the 50 for football, usually screaming less than sportsmanlike things at the opposing team's bench.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    2nd row behind the penalty box at a Dallas Stars game at old Reunion Arena. Not only good for watching the game, but also for heckling players in trouble.
    Yet another piece of the puzzle.... falls into place...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Front row seat at old Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, right at the edge of the screen behind home plate, for a Braves game (versus the Astros) the day before they clinched the NL West in 1991 - the magical "worst-to-first" season and the first of their 200-consecutive division titles.

My company's tix for the Thrashers games are five rows behind the glass, albeit almost in one of the corners. I manage to snag them once or twice a season.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Game 6- Detroit Red Wings at Phoenix Coyotes 1997-1998
    1st row on the glass at the blue line

Unfortunately, the Coyotes were eliminated in this game, but Jeremy Roenick handed me his glove after the final buzzer which I got autographed later that summer.
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.”-- William H. Whyte..

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I've sat in lower box seats at old Milwaukee County Stadium for Brewer games on several occasions, but nothing can beat the front row-south end zone seats at Lambeau Field that have been in my family since 1962.

Mike

Registered
    Jun 2004

If you call it a sport...

I was on the roof of the speedway club for the Coke-a-Cola 600 in 1998. Not the best for viewing, well with out binocolars but i was setting in a wading pool with a cooler of cold beer within arm reach with a bunch of my buddies having a good ole time... till we were asked to leave because someone was throwing chicken bones into the stands but... we beat the crowd out of the parking lots... best fifty laps of racing i'll ever watch

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I was in the pits for happy hour at the Food City 500 at Bristol Tennesee. Damn near got run over by Sterling Marlin

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The inaugural Big 12 football championship game in St. Louis - Texas over Nebraska.
    My seat was in the endzone lined up with one of the hashmarks less than 10 rows off the field.

Rose Bowl in 1976 - UCLA over Ohio State.
    Seat was at the 30 yd line lower level.

A Yankee game from an owners box.

Denver Zyphers game in the Mile High Stadium (now gone) 2nd row behind the dugout
    Last edited by JNA; 20 Sep 2005 at 4:54 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Aug. 1995 Wrigley Field (Padres vs. Cubs)- Bleacher seats along Waveland Avenue. $10 for a doubleheader. The atmosphere was amazing. First ever MLB game.

Apr. 1998 - MCI Center (Sixers vs. Wizards) - 7 rows behind Sixers bench. Mrs. Ann Iverson is a very loud person indeed.

Aug. 1999 - Yankee Stadium (Twins vs. Yankees), RF bleacher seats - again, just the atmosphere

November/December 2004 - my father-in-laws Lions seasons tickets. He sits on the Lions' side of the field about 8 rows above the east? endzone by the players' entrance.

May 2005 - SAFECO Field (Red Sox vs. Mariners), I sat 10 rows from the 1st base foul line above the Mariners' dugout. I sat next to 3 lovely Seattleites who know their baseball. The ticket cost me $15 from a scalper and I got to see the retractable roof close. I also got to see Manny hit his 400th HR.

Summer 2005, various games at Oriole Park at Camden Yards. I've sat in section 322 which is the upper deck along the 1st base foul line. The game is still pretty close to you, where I was sitting. I am considering buying a 10 or 15 game season ticket package next season, just to have my baseball fix.

I do plan to come to St. Louis next season, to see the new park.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I've seen one or two games at Miller Park in Milwaukee, and that is a beautiful place. And pretty much every seat in the lower section is a good seat!!

One time, when I was really young, I saw a White Sox vs. Rangers game at the brand-new Comiskey Park. I was too young to remember the game much, but I remember having decent 1st base-side seats, and my brother getting Will Clark's autograph, or at least talking to him. I also fell asleep at the game (hey, I was like 6!!), and I was on camera...asleep!!...and it was too late for me to realize by the time I woke up.

But, by far, the best seats ever was sitting in a skybox (mezzazine suite) at Wrigley Field. Oh, gosh those seats are great. And the food service...oh gosh...the service!!! Anytime someone invities you to go sit in a skybox, take it!!! I'm a Sox fan, but Wrigley is the most beautiful park and the skybox experience is fabulous.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    I do plan to come to St. Louis next season, to see the new park.
    You SHOULD come to see Busch Stadium it's better than the new stadium!!
    But on the other hand, when you do get out here for a Cards game next year, let me know, I have a lot of friends that have and currently work for AB or at the stadium and get great seats for almost any game!!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Seven rows off the field behind the Braves dugout - SINCE 1991! Thanks to my brother, I've been able to see some great games during the 14 year run (and a few heartbreaks too) including the "Sid Bream slide" (1992 NLCS) game, the 1995 WS win, and the 2000 All-Star game.

Final season in Tiger Stadium, front row of the second deck overlooking the on-deck circle...and as some of you know in that old stadium with those seats you feel as if you are sitting on top of the guy on-deck.

In the 1994 World Cup games in Orlando, I was six rows up on the corner flag.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Saw the raptors int eh spring from teh 15th row. I think I'd rather go to only 1 game a year and have thee seats then sit in the nosebleeds for multiple games.

For a michigan wolverine game on the 40 yard line about 30 rows up.

For baseball all over old tiger stadium, all over old exhibition stadium, but mostly cheap outfield seats.

For hockey, never sat in good seats.

For rasslin' about 20 rows back from the ring at joe louis.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Any game at Fenway where the Yankees lost.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Any seat in Yankee Stadium where I can see the Sox whoop the Bronx Bombers.

Went the last two years in September. Nothing better than watching all the loud-mouthed Yank fans run home with their tails between their legs.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Blue Line - 4 rows Back of Penalty Box - Av's vs. Sabers Jan. 2002. Great seats, Great game.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    My sister and I have access to leftover seats to her company's executive suite for Columbus Blue Jackets games. We got to go this sunday when the Sabres beat them (let's go Buffalo!) 3-2.

They have a very good view directly behind the home net. I think the thing I like about them most is the personal attendant that will get you real beer at more standard prices ($4 a Guiness vs $5 for Bud Light by the ice) and the fact that each box has it's own restroom.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Almost forgot the Freezer Bowl of '82 with the Bengals taking on the Chargers and really giving them no chance! 9 below with a wind chill of 59 below!! Holy crap that was cold! We sat in sleeping bags with a thermos of hot chocolate (I was 12) in the bottom and then my friend and I would run laps around the stadium about every 30 minutes!

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/200...odate0110.html
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.”-- William H. Whyte..

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Sitting in endzone seats at Candlestick Park for a Monday Night game, 49ers versus Lions. It was Joe Montana's last game as a Niner. As luck would have it, we were surrounded by several other Lion fans (they got crushed).

Runner up: Wings-North Stars game at Olympia Stadium. I was pretty young but I remember vividly my dad getting hit in the shoulder with a puck and people diving over us to get it (we didn't get the puck -- d'oh).

Honorable mentions: Seeing the Denver Bears play at Mile High with Boog Powell as player/manager. For some reason, this experience sticks in my mind more than many other pro/college games that I've been to. We had great seats behind the dugout. Minor league baseball rocks.

And, SRO at the Joe for a Wings-Avs game -- not for the seats (that we didn't have), but for the atmosphere. Go Wings!

Lastly, catching a Tim Wallach home run at a near empty Exhibition Stadium in Montreal. The seats were nose-bleeds but they were super cheap ($2 CAN) and it was a blast to have an entire section to ourselves.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by plankton
    Honorable mentions: Seeing the Denver Bears play at Mile High with Boog Powell as player/manager. For some reason, this experience sticks in my mind more than many other pro/college games that I've been to. We had great seats behind the dugout. Minor league baseball rocks.
    Jeez, what year was that? (Not meaning to make anyone feel old...)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    When ZG and I were in St. Pete recently, we attended a Devil Rays – Blue Jays game and sat five rows behind the D-Rays dugout.

Suite and field level seats at PacBell Park (now SBC Park), several times.

First row directly behind homeplate, Oakland Coliseum (A’s vs. Tigers).

Field level box seats, Candlestick Park (Giants vs. Dodgers).

40-yard line, lower deck, Oakland Coliseum, Raidas, several times.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Did you split your ticket?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 07 Nov 2012, 5:36 PM
  2. movie theatres and ticket prices
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 15 May 2012, 8:41 PM
  3. Replies: 8