Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Multi-story big boxes

Registered
    Jun 2004

Multi-story big boxes

I have been wrestling with how to deal with big boxes in a ordinance that i am crafting. I have toyed with addressing the appearance of the bulk, once you reach a certian size but a 200,000 sq ft building is what it is. so now i am proposing a foot print limit but no maximum size, the idea is that if you want to come you have to build up. Does any one have examples of multi-story big boxes in a suburbian locale? In addition i am looking a breaking up parking into smaller lots with a maximum number of parking spaces or maximum dimentions. bordered by access streets or pedestrian amenities to maintain a grid.

what are your thoughts cyburbians?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    We have a 2 story building that houses 2 "medium box stores". I'll look and see how we accomplished it. I am pretty sure we did it through the official plan / secondary planning process and not through zoning.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    University Square, a shopping center in University Heights, Ohio, has a two story Target. The center incorporates a multi-level parking ramp, with different groups of shops at every other level. (It's about 2 km from my house.)

I apologize for the large images.

From http://www.specialtyretail.net/issue...2/feature.htm:

University Square may be relatively new to the community of suburban Cleveland, OH, but the 611,500 sq.ft. shopping destination is swaggering into town to flaunt a state-of-the-art, four-level vertical power center with three anchors.

[snip]

University Square opened phase one of the project on March 8, 2002 with a 165,200 sq.ft. Kaufmann’s at the intersection of Warrensville and Cedar Roads, which has an average daily traffic count of 30,000 vehicles. Phase two of the project is scheduled to open in March, 2003 with a 164,600 sq.ft. Target and a 58,000 sq.ft. Tops Supermarket as the co-anchors.

Unlike most traditional big box power centers, University Square will present a more urban streetscape appearance with the combination of a brick, stucco and glass facade accentuated with towers, faux columns, roof articulation and classical entrances. The design of the buildings will incorporate elements from nearby John Carrol University and Cleveland’s downtown Warehouse District.

Tops Supermarkets, which specializes in catering and on-site baking, has its own level and is accessible from the ground floor in the parking garage, while Kaufmann’s, a leading retail department store, occupies the first and second levels. Target, the main anchor, will have garage access from the third floor and its main entrance on the fourth level. In addition to the three anchors, University Square will feature an array of retailers, including T.J. Maxx, Famous Footwear, Key Bank, and some yet-to-be-announced restaurants and boutiques. Store entrances with the retailer’s signage will provide streetfront exposure for tenants.

A 2,500-car, five-level parking garage with elevator access to the anchors will give customers the luxury of shopping different tiers without the need to move their vehicles. The parking facility has also been designed with a speed ramp system for easy access to all levels.

[snip]

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Wow. The land values must be quite high in the area-or the sales volume substantial enough-to warrant the structured parking. One of the more impressive designs, imo.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Something in this thread may help. It helped introduce the idea to me...

Click Here Buddy
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2002
    In the Buckhead area of Atlanta, a high-density suburban retail, office and entertainment district, there is a shopping center that combines several multi-story big boxes clustered around structured parking. Target has 2 levels, Dick's Sporting Goods has 3. I think all the other tenants are single story, but the complex has four levels total.
    It's an odd place--if you have to have big boxes, I'd rather see them clustered like this than have them on separate parcels surrounded by asphalt, but they are still strange. The area is not pedestrian-friendly, so almost everyone arrives by car. You drive into the center of the block, into the dark parking garage to get to the various stores. The connections between the different stores are not well-defined. Schlepping between Target and Publix means weaving through the parking deck.

http://www.edensandavant.com/oc_cent...l.aspx?cid=965

Visible from Rt. 128/I-95 in Reading, MA is a Home Depot / Jordan's Furniture / Jordan's IMAX building that is definitely multi-floor. I dug up this on the project:

http://www.ci.reading.ma.us/planning/walkersbrook.htm

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Can't get move surburban than the San Fernando Valley!!! Here is a photo of a two-story Target with attached structured parking on Sepulveda Blvd, just north of Burbank Blvd. in Los Angeles. We have a two story Ikea here in Edmonton with a huge surface parking lot... not the best example
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails target-sepulveda.jpg  

Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Can't get move surburban than the San Fernando Valley!!! Here is a photo of a two-story Target with attached structured parking on Sepulveda Blvd, just north of Burbank Blvd. in Los Angeles. We have a two story Ikea here in Edmonton with a huge surface parking lot... not the best example
    That's typical of any IKEA I've been to as well; I think it's standard. Hicksville/Long Island does have a multifloor parking garage directly across the loading zone of the two-floor store (furniture galleries on top, Marketplace, check-out, self-serve and pickup on the bottom). The new one in New Haven (which I drove to FAR too many times this summer, from Boston) has a sprawling parking lot reminisent of a theme park, directly off I-95. Same structure to the store.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    You notice that Target comes up a lot... I was in a Target in Deerfield Beach, FL that was two story with parking underneath and on top. It had a cool cart escalator. No huge Target sign to speak of, landscape hiding the garage, a real urban big box.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 29
    Last post: 01 Mar 2011, 2:48 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 11 Jul 2007, 10:45 PM
  3. Like Big Boxes?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 Mar 2005, 10:29 AM
  4. Multi story ski area development
    Design, Space, and Place