Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wow....Walmart to save historic barn?

Registered
    Feb 2002

Wow....Walmart to save historic barn?

This is not meant to be a "death to Walmart" type of thread, but is relevant to a lot of new development.

In Ionia, MI, a fairly significant barn was to be demolished [sarcasm] all in the name of progress [/sarcasm] for a new Walmart store. Folks rallied around the issue of saving the barn, and guess what? Walmart listened. They will not demolish the barn, and they will even cover the cost of disassembling, transporting, and reassembling the barn at another location.

Here's the article. Here's a website that has a few pictures of the barn.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I could be wrong, but wouldn't moving the barn destroy some of its unique and historic value? It seems to me that its original location has some relevance to it as well.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Hmm.... I wonder if I could turn it into a cool looking house...
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    I could be wrong, but wouldn't moving the barn destroy some of its unique and historic value? It seems to me that its original location has some relevance to it as well.
    Ummm, I have to agree with Planderella.

I suggest moving the barn to a museum and charging a dollar and a half to see it.

Forgive my cynicism, I know this thread is not meant to beat a dead horse, but when one works so hard to revitalize a community by availing viable reinvestment opportunities in fledgling downtown areas, it's rather tough.....

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Yes, the barn is most historically significant in it's original location. But the question becomes: If the barn stays where it is and gets surrounded by a WalMart parking lot, does it still fall into the 'historically accurate' category?
    I'd much prefer to see the barn get taken down and rebuilt somewhere else than see it go into a huge heap under a bulldozer. I think this should be happening all over - if you don't want your barn or you can't maintain it, please donate it to someone who can appreciate and take care of it. There are tons of people around that would love to get their hands on a barn like this - I can think of 3 people in a 5 mile radius of where I sit.
    I say - good for the people who took a stand and saved a great old structure!!
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    There was a similar items to this that happened in Circleville, OH a year or so ago where Wal-Mart was going to tear down an octagonal farmhouse. Unfortunately at this time, however, Wal-Mart refused to pay for the move, but did allow local groups the time to raise the money to move it.

http://www.roundtownconservancy.org/...l%20House.html

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Walmart saved an old farmhouse and barn where they built in Boerne, TX. They sectioned off about three acres around the farmhouse and kept it in its original condition. I think it may be leased to the City for something, but I'm not sure as I haven't been over there in a while.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Building fence and barn questions
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Dec 2006, 12:30 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 14 Oct 2005, 5:51 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 13 Jul 2005, 11:56 AM
  4. Save our land, save our towns
    Make No Small Plans